Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 5:27 am in Headphones (full-size)
- My experience of M50x Last post on 11/16/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- X3 firmware 3.22-3.24beta--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. #nooneleftbehind Last post on Today at 6:25 am in FiiO
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 11/1/14 at 1:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:41 am in FiiO
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Yesterday
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 215
Gear mentioned in this thread:
More like a bad translation from Chinese to English. I can imagine what was intended.
I bought an E12 for my SE846 to see what the HF response of that IEM would be with a very low impedance output amplifier. The E12 is advertised with an output impedance of < 0.1 ohms, which is great for an IEM with as low and non-linear an impedance as the SE846. There was a noticeable increase in HF compared to my normal iPhone 6 output. The rest of that story is better related in the SE846 thread.
But, one characteristic of the E12 needs to be emphasized. It's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I didn't read it before purchasing the E12. When the E12 is employed, the soundstage becomes almost 2D rather than 3D. Instead of the soundstage enveloping your mind as presented at the output of the iPhone 6, it seems to be strung out along a line when listening through the E12. I'm pretty sensitive to this loss of ambience, having spent a lot of time listening to effects boxes whose primary purpose was to add room acoustics to the sound. I'm not sure what portion of the audio signal is changed by the amp to remove this 3D atmosphere. Phase relations between the different frequencies? Volumetric expansion of the signal (the opposite of compression)?
Anyway, bear this in mind when purchasing this amp.
Also, if you're going to get an E12 for IEMs, be aware that a new E12a has been released that's optimized for IEMs, lowering the noise floor, improving the "blackness" of the amp. With the older E12, there is a background of white noise that's about the same level as the noise output of the iPod 5.5g version; not objectionable, but present. Too bad I bought the E12 about 10 weeks ago. How quickly shiny toys can become obsolete.
I was at the Bristol Sound & Vision show yesterday. I had with me my E12 and iPod Classic. I was able to use it to listen to a number of different headphones including the top of the range Sennheiser HD700 and HD800, audio Technica ATH AD900 and AD1000 and some $700 Perfect Sound cans.
It wasn't the perfect listening conditions due to the noise of people and other gear but I was amazed at how well the E12 performed with every single headphone. The HD800 needed the gain adjusted. That can needs power.
And for those that have forgotten my review is on page 38 from memory on this thread.
I had a query, As you said before you tested HD700/800 with Fiio E12, can you tell me How do they perform? I'm planning to buy a Sennheiser HD650 along with Fiio X3 DAP and Fiio E12 amp... So I was curious if E12 will be able to drive the HD650s properly :)
- FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 21 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 1 minute ago
- › Confused : Sennheiser CX 180 Street II Vs Mi In-ear... 3 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)