Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 20

post #286 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds. I've always wondered what a pair of earbuds being destroyed by excessive power looks like. Similar experiments done on speakers produced an awesome looking result.

The experiment is going to be done in the backyard, so flying earbud drivers or whatever won't hurt anyone. Going to pop off one of the covers for the earbuds if possible. Not sure if I should video this or take before and after pictures. Now obviously the earbud will be driven far beyond tolerable listening volumes, so it'll be interesting to hear what kind distortion I'm going to get too.

This won't damage my E12 right?

Edit: I think I'll need to include a note saying that normal usage with the E12 won't cause earphones to blow up, just in case someone gets confused.


LOL- I have an overpowered Onkyo receiver and my nephew blew out the woofers on my classic Advent Maiestro tower speakers listening to hip hop near full volume.  The paper cone was turned to paper mache.

post #287 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


LOL- I have an overpowered Onkyo receiver and my nephew blew out the woofers on my classic Advent Maiestro tower speakers listening to hip hop near full volume.  The paper cone was turned to paper mache.


For the M-100 ZO 2.3 or E12??? (Keeping in mind I have an E11 and am looking to push more bass with some genres, but would also like more forward mids with others).


Edited by Craigster75 - 11/8/12 at 7:35pm
post #288 of 2977
Thread Starter 

A small updated, we already decided to use LME49710+LME49600 in our Mont Blanc. some technical specification of this two op amp:

 

About LME49710MA NOPB

 

 

 

The LME49710 is a Single High Fidelity Audio Operational Amplifier. This Audio Amplifier offers near zero THD+N and sets a new standard for high end audio users. TI's newest Amplifier uses state of the art circuitry and process to achieve a new class of audio performance and technology. The AC and DC parameters in this amplifier series offers users a solution well suited for the most demanding signal path applications. There are three package choices to enable all users' ease of use and evaluation criteria.

The LME49710 is designed for high slew rate, low noise and high output for systems needing +/-2.5 to +/-17V functionality. The pin out is the TI standard to quickly upgrade existing boards. This series is for applications such as high quality audio amplification, multi-media, imaging, line drivers/receivers and active filters. The output current is for 600Ohm loads with more than 26mA drive with THD+N over a wide voltage range.

The LME49710MADB, LME49710NADB and LME49710HADB are evaluation boards designed to establish performance and evaluation to design the best end user system. The evaluation boards include all components for ready-to-use, a stand-alone bench work.

 

Features
  • Single Audio Operational Amplifier
  • Ultra low THD+N of 0.00003%
  • 34V operation and low noise
  • 600Ohm loads
  • SNR 97dB
  • High output of 26mA
  • Gain Bandwidth Product >55MHz
  • 20uV/S Slew rate
  • DC Gain Linearity Error of 0.000009%
  • PSRR >120dB
  • CMRR >120dB
  • Vos is 0.1mV
  • Three package offerings

Applications

  • High Fidelity Audio Equipment
  • High Fidelity drivers/receivers
  • 34V Industrial applications 

 

 

 

 

About LME49600

 

The LME49600 is a high performance, low distortion high fidelity 250mA audio buffer. The LME49600 is designed for a wide range of applications. It can be used inside the feedback loop of op amps.

The LME49600 offers a pin-selectable bandwidth: a low current, 110MHz bandwidth mode that consumes 7.3mA and a wide 180MHz bandwidth mode that consumes 13.2mA. In both modes the LME49600 has a nominal 2000V/μs slew rate. Bandwidth is easily adjusted by either leaving the BW pin unconnected or connecting a resistor between the BW pin and the VEE pin.

The LME49600 is fully protected through internal current limit and thermal shutdown.

 

 

 

Features

  • Pin-selectable bandwidth and quiescent current
  • Pure fidelity. Pure performance
  • Short circuit protection
  • Thermal shutdown
  • TO–263 surface-mount package 

 

 

Device Uses

  • Headphone amplifier output drive stage
  • Line drivers
  • Low power audio amplifiers
  • High-current operational amplifier output stage
  • ATE Pin Driver Buffer
  • Power supply regulator
post #289 of 2977
I want to congratulate you on choosing a great op-amp, I had a cmoy and the LME49720 was the best sounding to my ears, fast, quite neutral and very detailed, loved it.

Can't wait for you to bring this out, well be awaiting any updates
post #290 of 2977

@feiao- Since the amp is fairly neutral, what will be the quantity of the bass boost switch in dB and how does that compare to the two settings on the E11?
 

post #291 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds. I've always wondered what a pair of earbuds being destroyed by excessive power looks like. Similar experiments done on speakers produced an awesome looking result.

The experiment is going to be done in the backyard, so flying earbud drivers or whatever won't hurt anyone. Going to pop off one of the covers for the earbuds if possible. Not sure if I should video this or take before and after pictures. Now obviously the earbud will be driven far beyond tolerable listening volumes, so it'll be interesting to hear what kind distortion I'm going to get too.

This won't damage my E12 right?

Edit: I think I'll need to include a note saying that normal usage with the E12 won't cause earphones to blow up, just in case someone gets confused.

That is easier done with a desktop unit. You don't need an E12 to do that. I haven't done it yet though. 

 

Edit:

Done:

 

High Gain, max volume. 3.5W @ 25 ohms. No currency numbers. But man these things are distorting.


Edited by bowei006 - 11/9/12 at 5:21pm
post #292 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds.

This won't damage my E12 right?

When a power amp is powerful enough you can destroy speakers (usually they overheat and burn out) before clipping and destroying the amps. However, there is a double risk - the destroyed speakers can sometimes form a short circuit and consequently you will drive your amps to destruction. Not a recommended practice!

post #293 of 2977
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

@feiao- Since the amp is fairly neutral, what will be the quantity of the bass boost switch in dB and how does that compare to the two settings on the E11?
 

 

the bass boost value is about 3dB , and we will try to move to the sub bass range.

post #294 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

the bass boost value is about 3dB , and we will try to move to the sub bass range.

Exciting, that should be quite unique! Thanks for the update.

Interesting that so many people are looking for Q701 amps...
post #295 of 2977

This will sound like a pretty dumb question, but I just wanted to confirm anyway on whether I should wait for this or not...

 

Is the E12 an Amp only or DAC as well?

 

If it's an amp only as I suspect it is, do you guys think it will be overkill for my AKG K550s?

At the moment I have a Fiio E11 and recently got a Go-Vibe Petite for the laptop, although I'm not a big fan of the Go-Vibe to be honest..

 

Lastly, I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb audio interface for recording my mixes. If I play music on the PC and output to the Scarlett, then connect either the headphone out or Line out channels to the input of he E11 (or E12) for extra amplificaition, am I likely to lose much/any sound quaity?

 

Sorry for partially hijacking the thread! :S

post #296 of 2977

 Is there any specific information about the Special or Limited Edition model yet? With Christmas just around the corner, it would be nice to know what to put on my wish list!

post #297 of 2977

Answers in bold 'cuz too lazy to split

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgeny View Post

This will sound like a pretty dumb question, but I just wanted to confirm anyway on whether I should wait for this or not...

 

Is the E12 an Amp only or DAC as well?

>> Amp only

 

If it's an amp only as I suspect it is, do you guys think it will be overkill for my AKG K550s?

>> "Overkill" does not seem to be in the vocabulary of many people here.  But certainly, you will not require the extra power the E12 can output over the E11.  As for a difference in features or sound quality (in my opinion, not likely much change in the latter), that could be another matter.  In the least, it seems like you'll be able to use the E12 while plugged in and charging, for what that's worth.

 

At the moment I have a Fiio E11 and recently got a Go-Vibe Petite for the laptop, although I'm not a big fan of the Go-Vibe to be honest..

 

Lastly, I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb audio interface for recording my mixes. If I play music on the PC and output to the Scarlett, then connect either the headphone out or Line out channels to the input of he E11 (or E12) for extra amplificaition, am I likely to lose much/any sound quaity?

>> Lose sound quality relative to what?  A line output is what you want to connect to an amplifier, so the setup you propose is what makes sense.  There is sound quality lost in the sense that no device does D/A perfectly, the line output is not perfect, and the E11 and E12 are not perfect, but whether that amounts to "much" is a different matter.  Probably not.

 

Sorry for partially hijacking the thread! :S

post #298 of 2977

thanks so much for your response Mikeaj, cleared up all my questions :)

 

I can't imagine buying a new set of headphones for a while, so I guess I can keep the amps etc I have now.. I suppose I better concentrate on creating high quality music to enjoy what I already have!

post #299 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojomoto View Post

 Is there any specific information about the Special or Limited Edition model yet? With Christmas just around the corner, it would be nice to know what to put on my wish list!

There's going to be a limited edition model? Great, now I'm going to be obliged to buy one frown.gif the standard model is stunning enough!
post #300 of 2977

Subbed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.