Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 182

post #2716 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubul View Post
 

It's not that I don't believe but I just found 2 absolutely different opinions; and I did research there but couldn't find anything proper (well, maybe I haven't searched carefully) :)

 

OK, so answer is yes but also:

 

Is it noticeable/disturbing?

 

Greets.

Although I primarily use the E12 while mobile, I have listened while charging and this hasn't surfaced for me, perhaps I don't have much noise on my power lines.

post #2717 of 3246

Mhm, so the only way to check it is just borrow this amp from store and connect to my PC.

Also, I suppose that PSU might be important, if someone has good PSU, there shouldn't be any problems I guess.

post #2718 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubul View Post
 

Mhm, so the only way to check it is just borrow this amp from store and connect to my PC.

Also, I suppose that PSU might be important, if someone has good PSU, there shouldn't be any problems I guess.

You have to be careful of where you plug in the USB PSU for the E12 vs. where the PC is plugged in. I found that if I plug them into different receptacles/power line feeds I get noise. I had this happen with my desktop amp as well.

post #2719 of 3246

I charge it via USB from my computer. That does not create any noise. If you use a power supply it depends on the quality of that one. A swiching one might be disturbing, a regulated should be dead silent.

post #2720 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

You have to be careful of where you plug in the USB PSU for the E12 vs. where the PC is plugged in. I found that if I plug them into different receptacles/power line feeds I get noise. I had this happen with my desktop amp as well.

 

Well, now I have a stationary amp (big box, 9kg weight), connected to power socket normally and with PC by RCA->jack and I don't have any noises (but well, I had while headphones were connected - the problem was with wrong connected ground inside).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

I charge it via USB from my computer. That does not create any noise. If you use a power supply it depends on the quality of that one. A swiching one might be disturbing, a regulated should be dead silent.

 

What do you mean by switching/regulated PSU? I have XFX Core 550W so it's high-end PSU, I hope.

 

Greets.


Edited by trubul - 2/28/14 at 9:27am
post #2721 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubul View Post
 

 

Well, now I have a stationary amp (big box, 9kg weight), connected to power socket normally and with PC by RCA->jack and I don't have any noises (but well, I had while headphones were connected - the problem was with wrong connected ground inside).

 

 

What do you mean by switching/regulated PSU? I have XFX Core 550W so it's high-end PSU, I hope.

 

Greets.

A switching supply is a design where fast switching semiconductors integrate pulses of high poer on capitors/networks to efficiently get you regultated power. All of this switching genreates gobs of noise, which is fine for digital circuits. A linear supply uses power transistors to pass current to the load and maintain a regulated voltage. No switching, no noise, however, heat is a byproduct because of the current on load and the voltage accross the power transistors.

A 550W linear power supply would be, huge, heavy, expensive and hotter than hell.

post #2722 of 3246

Hmm so that means that every single PSU in PCs are possible to be disturbing in terms of sound?

post #2723 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubul View Post
 

Hmm so that means that every single PSU in PCs are possible to be disturbing in terms of sound?

Possible yes, but we don't hear of too many problems. Try to plug all of the gadgets in the audio chain into the same powerstrip. After that, best of luck to all of us. :D

Even a laptop on batteries will have DC to DC converters that usually entail switching. Besides all of your computer is a noise generator. Try listening to an AM radio nearby to your desktop PC.

post #2724 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubul View Post
 

Hmm so that means that every single PSU in PCs are possible to be disturbing in terms of sound?


I have an external soundcard (ASUS Xonar U7) using USB connection to my PC. The device has a dac and a headphone amp. It gets no noise from the PC. I think if you are going to charge the E12 from the PC you will not hear any noise. But if you use a wall plug power supply then you might have some noise.

post #2725 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 


I have an external soundcard (ASUS Xonar U7) using USB connection to my PC. The device has a dac and a headphone amp. It gets no noise from the PC. I think if you are going to charge the E12 from the PC you will not hear any noise. But if you use a wall plug power supply then you might have some noise.

It is possible to get noise from the USB power, I have a laptop that is very generous in that regard. This might be up to the luck of the draw, whichever PC/laptops you own. 

post #2726 of 3246

Does anyone know the output power into 600 ohms? If it's not documented anywhere, is this something that can be measured? I'm curious because they seem to work well with high impedance headphones, but currently researching some desktop amps.

post #2727 of 3246

it is about 47 mw at 600 ohms

post #2728 of 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post
 

Does anyone know the output power into 600 ohms? If it's not documented anywhere, is this something that can be measured? I'm curious because they seem to work well with high impedance headphones, but currently researching some desktop amps.

At the very most it would be a result of the maximum spec'd Peak to Peak output voltage of 15.5 along with the 600 Ohms impedance.

Thus ((15.5Vp-p / 2) * 0.707)2 / 600 which works out to be 50mW

I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower.

 

Now the DIY version has more detailed specs, with the same power supply voltages and op amps they spec a higher Vp-p at 300 Ohms. If I use this as a guide I get the following:

((19Vp-p / 2) * 0.707)2 /600 which works out to 75 mW.

 

I hope this helps.


Edited by StanD - 3/2/14 at 3:37pm
post #2729 of 3246

many thanks to both of you

post #2730 of 3246

so what's on the wish list for the next big thing by Fiio? I like their route of using lots of compact high quality build materials, rechargeable, power packed and tons of versatility Maybe the next version can be a bit more bulky to accommodate features like high capacity battery so it's still portable while delivering Hi output like you've never seen it before. We're talking 1W  for  32 ohms all the way over to 180mW @600 ohms. Maybe some DIY options? Although I'm newb in that department, All this in a power packed sem-portable amp. Would be cool if ad two headphone jacks. I think Fiio can pull this on off. Of all the offerings out there, I think Fiio can pull it off and hit it out of the park! Tell me you dreams!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.