Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 178

post #2656 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

or your is the first batch , or our there are some stocked case and our factory use it in the newest batch. anyway, it is just a silk screen mistake and sorry for that if it make you confuse .

Thx James! That clears the air......for a moment..But FYI I just bought mine sep '2013 from MP4 which is like hardly little over 100 days old...so maybe i got mine from old stock aluminium shell with 10db hi gain printed. Still scratching my head, as the 10db aluminium shells were initially manufactured for a limited quantity of just 200(if im not wrong) and so i received a shell which is like a year and half old approximately? Hmm confused_face(1).gif

So james, finally you confirm that .........

1) E12 never had 10db hi-gain but ONLY 16db for end-users.
2) E12 underwent only bass boost mods in the circuit,as told by ClieOS.
3) though older aluminium shells has the 10db marking but actually is 16db functionwise.
post #2657 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post

1) E12 never had 10db hi-gain but ONLY 16db for end-users.
2) E12 underwent only bass boost mods in the circuit,as told by ClieOS.
3) though older aluminium shells has the 10db marking but actually is 16db functionwise.

This is what James said last year. It's all in this thread, around the time they changed the functionality of the bass boost.

In-house beta testing models had a 10 dB high-gain option, but at the last minute they decided a 16 dB high-gain would be more useful and all E12 models sold had the 16dB gain. They had already made enclosures with "10 dB" silk-screened/printed on it, so that is the only visible characteristic different about the first batch of amps.

The only sonic characteristic that ever changed between that first batch and all since then was that the bass boost targets a higher frequency. The +dB of the boost is the same 6dB, just FiiO deemed that people would appreciate a bass boosting more in the frequency ranges where more instruments can play...

I personally really like the original bass boost, it mostly improves bass extension (because most open headphones tend to drop dB in the lowest frequencies) rather than coloring the sound, but I suppose if FiiO hadn't changed it, there would be more users complaining that the boost hardly makes a difference (wouldn't understand what was being boosted).
post #2658 of 3077

Wow, you sure evs is the one who needs to do letting go?

post #2659 of 3077
It's all good, let's get back to enjoying our stuff. Please avoid a fight......
post #2660 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post
 

Wow, you sure evs is the one who needs to do letting go?

I guess I should had word it better. :tongue: My apologies for the off topic rant.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 


Edited by RoMee - 1/30/14 at 8:45am
post #2661 of 3077

I gotta say:  I've had my E12 for a few weeks now - along with a new set of HD650s.  I'm really happy - I'm a budget audiophile but I also know what to expect from a good system - having played music and been an avid music listener all of my life.  I am really happy with the 'bang for the buck' with this system!  The E12 has plenty of power for the HD 650s on the 16dB setting (and my SR60 and my Shure E5 IEM on the 0 gain setting).  I find it neutral and that it allows me to discern the differences beetween the different headphones.  I'm really happy with them!  Eventually, I need to listen to some other amps (other than my old BitHead from 10 years ago).  The bass boost is helpful on cans that are a little lean in the bottom-end but not necessary with 'warm' cans.  I find the crossfeed function absolutely useless unless you are listening to old recordings that have some instruments in one ear and other instruments in the other which is very annoying.  Otherwise, the battery life is stellar, the sound quality is stellar and the availability of the bass boost when needed is stellar.  Most importantly for me, it's portable!  Wow.  What a bargain.

post #2662 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachitongo View Post
 

I gotta say:  I've had my E12 for a few weeks now - along with a new set of HD650s.  I'm really happy - I'm a budget audiophile but I also know what to expect from a good system - having played music and been an avid music listener all of my life.  I am really happy with the 'bang for the buck' with this system!  The E12 has plenty of power for the HD 650s on the 16dB setting (and my SR60 and my Shure E5 IEM on the 0 gain setting).  I find it neutral and that it allows me to discern the differences beetween the different headphones.  I'm really happy with them!  Eventually, I need to listen to some other amps (other than my old BitHead from 10 years ago).  The bass boost is helpful on cans that are a little lean in the bottom-end but not necessary with 'warm' cans.  I find the crossfeed function absolutely useless unless you are listening to old recordings that have some instruments in one ear and other instruments in the other which is very annoying.  Otherwise, the battery life is stellar, the sound quality is stellar and the availability of the bass boost when needed is stellar.  Most importantly for me, it's portable!  Wow.  What a bargain.

The E12 packs a decent punch. It can do a surprising job of driving my HE-500's.

Edit: If you are interested in a not expensive desktop amp, look into the Schiit Asgard 2.


Edited by StanD - 2/1/14 at 3:21pm
post #2663 of 3077

Does the E12 tend towards a warm sound or neutral/bright sound ? The build quality and pricing on their line of stuff is really excellent.

 

I have an Altoid LM4562 opamp for mobile use which is good for my warmer cans but it is too bright/cold for my planars that both spike around 10-12k if you put the volume up to louder levels.

 

The mWatts output on this fit the bill for Fostex T50RP by the looks of it, but not sure how it would pair with micro-detail cans with brighter upper end...

 

I'm finding that generally so far ...mixing overall warmer DAP/DAC/AMP with detailed headphones

or

overall detailed/neutral DAP/DAC/AMP with warmer headphones balances things out with the overall sound signature I'm looking for.

 

But detailed sources + detailed cans = harsh clinical precision

and

warm sources  + warm cans = muddy/bloated signature.

 

Anyone using it specifically with HifiMan He-400/Fostex T50RP planars ?


Edited by Lohb - 2/4/14 at 5:01pm
post #2664 of 3077
I find the E12 to sound warm and bright. I don't really use mine too much though since it has a narrow soundstage and the instrument separation isn't the clearest I've heard.
post #2665 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I find the E12 to sound warm and bright. I don't really use mine too much though since it has a narrow soundstage and the instrument separation isn't the clearest I've heard.


Warm & bright ! Uh...and here was I thinking one or the other. Is there any other sub-$150 portable amp you could recommend ?

post #2666 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post
 


Warm & bright ! Uh...and here was I thinking one or the other. Is there any other sub-$150 portable amp you could recommend ?

 

I have the V2, and (to me) w/o bass boost it seems bright/linear. With the bass boost on, however, it becomes warm... and less bright.

 

So, I say both, also... but not at the same time kind of both. 

post #2667 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I find the E12 to sound warm and bright. I don't really use mine too much though since it has a narrow soundstage and the instrument separation isn't the clearest I've heard.


Warm & bright ! Uh...and here was I thinking one or the other. Is there any other sub-$150 portable amp you could recommend ?
If you can spare the extra money, I really enjoy the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog modified T50RPs with the JDS Labs C5 ($190). It sounds much more transparent to my ears.
If you don't mind the size, the Objective 2 is my reference amp and it's $130 from JDS Labs; the C5 is pretty much the more portable version of the O2 with some compromises in the soundstage.
post #2668 of 3077

Thanks ChangeisGood and MiceBlue....also looking at iBasso D-zero as well now...in search of that elusive audio chain synergy !

post #2669 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post

...

 

Anyone using it specifically with HifiMan He-400/Fostex T50RP planars ?

I use ODAC+E12 with HE-400 - sounds great.

post #2670 of 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

I have the V2, and (to me) w/o bass boost it seems bright/linear. With the bass boost on, however, it becomes warm... and less bright.

 

So, I say both, also... but not at the same time kind of both. 

If you boost the bass it should be normal to shift your perception as you are shifting the FR. The E18 sounds very good, I begin to wonder how much of the whinging is caused by expectation due to the chatter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.