Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 144

post #2146 of 3184
Using such a strong amp for an efficient IEM. Of course you're gonna get some hiss.
post #2147 of 3184
I get hiss too with my uerm but source isn't playing anything. That kind of hiss is to be expected
post #2148 of 3184

Odd, I don't get any hiss with my W4s... and they are pretty efficient IEMs.

post #2149 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Odd, I don't get any hiss with my W4s... and they are pretty efficient IEMs.

I read the W4s are less efficient than the SE530s, so that's probably why you don't hear any hiss.

 

So after an afternoon of listening (yeah I've been listening a lot) to the E12 I think I can hear a slight difference in the treble region, compared to listening straight from the iPod. The treble seems to come out slightly more on the E12, which is a good thing since the treble can be a bit recessed on the SE530. It's only a slight difference though, but noticeable. Will keep you guys posted with my impressions (for those who are interested).

 

Just know that I'm a skeptic by nature and don't easily buy into marketing crap and stuff so I feel like I can give a fairly neutral opinion about something :)

post #2150 of 3184
I get a lot of hiss with my IE80 too. But the E12 was not puchased for IEMs anyways. With the fullsized cans that I own the hiss is no problem. The AKG K702 shows no hiss at all.
post #2151 of 3184
post #2152 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post

I read the W4s are less efficient than the SE530s, so that's probably why you don't hear any hiss.

 

So after an afternoon of listening (yeah I've been listening a lot) to the E12 I think I can hear a slight difference in the treble region, compared to listening straight from the iPod. The treble seems to come out slightly more on the E12, which is a good thing since the treble can be a bit recessed on the SE530. It's only a slight difference though, but noticeable. Will keep you guys posted with my impressions (for those who are interested).

 

Just know that I'm a skeptic by nature and don't easily buy into marketing crap and stuff so I feel like I can give a fairly neutral opinion about something :)

I've decided to return my E12. It's complete overkill for my SE530. One positive note though, it doesn't appear to change the sound at all, which is I guess what an amp is supposed to do.

post #2153 of 3184
No it's NOT. An amp isn't there to change a sound. If it's changin the sound, it's coloring the sound. People need to seriously do their homework. An amp is there to provide enough power to headphones to work at their optimal capacity. For easier to drive headphones, an amp won't provide much, if any benefit. For harder to drive cans, it will keep the headphone from sounding thin/weak in specific frequencies where running unamped might just do. Impact, definition, and clarity of busy passages may be affected by running less than optimal power for harder to drive headphones.

If you're buying amps to change the sound, please just quit the audiophile hobby.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/19/13 at 2:53am
post #2154 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

No it's NOT. An amp isn't there to change a sound. If it's changin the sound, it's coloring the sound. People need to seriously do their homework. An amp is there to provide enough power to headphones to work at their optimal capacity. For easier to drive headphones, an amp won't provide much, if any benefit. For harder to drive cans, it will keep the headphone from sounding thin/weak in specific frequencies where running unamped might just do. Impact, definition, and clarity of busy passages may be affected by running less than optimal power for harder to drive headphones.

If you're buying amps to change the sound, please just quit the audiophile hobby.

Dude, chill out and don't be offended. I said: 'on a positive note, it doesn't appear to change the sound at all' and I think that's a good thing. And by that I meant, it doesn't add any coloration so it seems to be a perfectly neutral amp. I just don't need it for my SE530. If I ever get different headphones that are harder to drive, that's when I'll get an amp. For now I'll just keep the money in my pocket :)

post #2155 of 3184
I misread that last sentence, my bad.
post #2156 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post

I've decided to return my E12. It's complete overkill for my SE530. One positive note though, it doesn't appear to change the sound at all, which is I guess what an amp is supposed to do.

I can understand this.
I use my E12 with my iPod Touch or iPad with my DT880/600 or Q701 for the additional voltage and current (i.e. power).
post #2157 of 3184

Does anyone know how to take E12 apart? When i unscrew two bottom screws, there is bass boost switch blocking it from pulling it all out..

post #2158 of 3184
I'm pretty sure opening it up voids the warranty, but no I don't know how to open it up.
post #2159 of 3184

Yes, im quite sure opening it voids warranty. But my curiosity is killing me! mad.gif frown.gif

post #2160 of 3184

Fiio-E12-1-of-1-4.jpg

Maybe this helps you with your curiousity.beyersmile.png

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.