Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 90

post #1336 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Are you saying that the E18 may possibly be released by summer time and the next version by winter time?  Is that a random guess?  Where did you get that information from?  I think at best the E18 would be released by the end of this year and the notional "E19" wouldn't make sense at this point at all.  The only thing that could possibly be improved on at that point is sound quality, as I'm sure there'd be room to grow.  

 

 

I asked JamesFiio/Feiao and these were what I got as a reply.  I'm hoping for a release of e18 in late summer.  I'm holding-off the e17 purchase and wait for the e18 due to Android compatibility.  e19 supposes to be Fiio top dog, e12+a kickass DAC?

 

Current e18 threads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18   


Edited by Sko0byDoo - 2/19/13 at 9:13pm
post #1337 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post


First of all, good DAC's won't color your music at all. If you've heard a "bright" DAC chances are is isn't highly regarded. As for your other points, I agree with some.. but I don't agree with your assumption that the "darker" a solid state amp is the better it usually sounds? How does that make any sense, when typically the ultimate goal of all audio companies is to design products that are balanced, and/or as close to flat as possible. With your logic products like the Matrix M-Stage etc would be the end for most people if "darker" sounding amps are somehow better. I understand that branding some "dark" is over dramatic, but if you go back and read what I wrote I said in comparison to the E12. That doesn't mean the E11 and E17 are dark, it means they sound dark when compared to the E12. Not the same thing. Your theory on distortion is unique to say the least.

When I said DAC, I meant in combination.  Either way I'm not sure what you further assumed, but there are obviously things that the DAC effects, all of which wouldn't be very similarly described as the effects of an amp would.  I wasn't really implying anything by it.  And just for the record, I have sitting next to me a very highly regarded AD/DA converter here next to me by SSL, for professional use (or at least that's the reason I bought it; I'm not crazy to otherwise spend that much money, lol).  

 

As far as the other stuff I said, it's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.  I'm not making any assumptions.  Let me try to elaborate on some points if they didn't come across.  So for instance, when I said the darker it sounds the better, I meant it relative to each other and as far as most cases go.  Why?  I've never seen a solid state amp unintentionally due to poor design or bad components have a measurement (or a perceived sound) where the treble (mostly harmonic content) actually dips.  It's too much to get into the details of it, but basically, the type of distortion present in these amps ends up emphasizing the upper-mids, all through the treble range, that actually being the lesser of the important perceivable effects.  As I mentioned, more importantly is the emphasized odd harmonics over the even but I guess that's not what we're discussing.  ..I used "dark" in the sense that you may not have realized you also used (but have now indicated that it is how you meant it).  Neither the E17 or the E11 are dark sounding amps, to the slightest stretch of the imagination, as you've agreed (you really gave an impression otherwise).  However, it is possible that relative to another amp (like the E12), they may appear to be so, but that would only be saying something bad at this point about the amp being compared to them.  It can be more of an indication that your headphones have a slightly veiled sound to them and the E12 works better to get THEM to sound more neutral (or it could possibly be a number of other things also to be quite honest).  They could also just be better impedance matched.  

 

Yes, of course the goal (especially with these amps) would be to get as flat a response as possible, especially in the highs as that's where most of the distortion actually has the most effect (also for several although related reasons).  I was talking about it just like you meant it, relatively.  IN THAT CONTEXT, I mention that relatively "the darker it is the better" because the further you go from the ideal design with these kind of amps, the more the higher frequencies are effected (by adding onto themselves through a sort-of overlap or just becoming disproportionately louder to the human ear).  I'm trying to simplify..  Basically what I mean by the latter point is that odd-harmonics are perceived as a harsher kind of sound to us and they're also what we mainly use as our sense of loudness, so with them being distorted, the effect is I think therefore more or less obvious.  It's why a trumpet sounds so piercingly loud and unbearable close up (due to its large amount of odd-harmonic content) despite being significantly quieter than fully cranked electric guitars (with EVEN-harmonic distortion) going through the amp and cabinets.  As you likely know, it's often PREFERRED for the guitars/music to be cranked up that high since ultimately, if not going past the human hearing threshold for pain (like 120 dB SPL), it actually sounds pleasant to us!  

 

I can't tell you the exact reason for what you're hearing and I'm not saying you're wrong in what you hear either.  I'm just saying that you're very likely attributing what you're hearing to the wrong things in this case.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sko0byDoo View Post

 

I asked JamesFiio/Feiao and these were what I got as a reply.  I'm hoping for a release of e18 in late summer.  I'm holding-off the e17 purchase and wait for the e18 due to Android compatibility.  e19 supposes to be Fiio top dog, e12+a kickass DAC?

 

Current e18 threads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18   

Aww!...  I thought the E18 was supposed to be all of the above!  It's not worth it just for that if it costs more than the E17 or if you already have the E17 and it doesn't even have a better amp.  If we get something like the E17 with a mute button, potentially a talk button, Android support, and a better amp?!  ..I'll cradle it in my arms until I die!  (A digital optical or coaxial-out wouldn't hurt either, lol) As long as it's portable and doesn't surpass the size of current Android phones, I'm happy trading off size for these features.  I don't find myself pairing an amp directly connected to my phone as I travel anyway.  I currently just pack the E17 with me and use it at my destinations, whether it's for "professional" use or for casual listening.  I use IEMs on the go and there's no point in pairing them with an amp.  Not only because of comfort reasons, but even without that as a factor, I'm not sure I'd want the same experience on the go as I get at home or at whatever other locations.  I quite like the sound of my IEMs and after all this time, I haven't gotten tired of them (of course with the EQ I have for them).  They're very forward, warm, and engaging, which for on-the-go casual listening is great!  Of course, that's without much trade-off for other qualities (as they would pertain to this situation anyway).  But of course, that's just my opinion and my experience.  I'd bet though that if I got a true chance to share the experience, many would agree (of the people who don't dislike IEMs for comfort reasons).


Edited by Typhoon859 - 2/19/13 at 10:29pm
post #1338 of 2985

i might be getting one few weeks from now, and it comes from the first batch! yay!

post #1339 of 2985

How does this amp fair with sensitive IEMs?

post #1340 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

How does this amp fair with sensitive IEMs?
Decently. Didnt get any noise and you need light turns of the knob. But i had no problems
post #1341 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


Decently. Didnt get any noise and you need light turns of the knob. But i had no problems

Beautiful!

post #1342 of 2985

Sorry for advertising, but... I updated my thread with comparison to JDS Labs C421 in case anyone is interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649174/review-fiio-e12-comparison-to-c-c-bh-jds-labs-o2-jds-labs-c421

 

On that note, I don't like the +8dB @ 80Hz on the C421. It bleeds into the midrange and causes the amp to lose its transparency. Plus it sounds very muddy and congested.

 

So I hope Fiio doesn't push E12's bass boost to a similar level. I think it's perfect the way it is.

post #1343 of 2985
Yeah, around +9 dB is like a perceived doubling in sound pressure/volume, right? And the E12's boost is about half that? Sounds good to me wink.gif
post #1344 of 2985

anyone tried pairing this with EX1000?

post #1345 of 2985
I'm having problems with my input jack. The left channel seems to be the dominant one and right one works depending on the cable positioning :/ I checked to see if my LOD (L10) was the problem, but it works fine with my BH.

EDIT:

It seems the problem does indeed lie with my L10 LOD. The majority of the problem, anyway. I listened just now with both my BH and E12 using the L10 out of my iPhone and only the left channel worked. Using the included E12 interconnector worked as normal, though the E12 sometimes cuts out the right channel, but very slight re-adjustment of the cable is all that has been needed to get everything back to 100%.
Edited by pngwn - 2/23/13 at 1:05am
post #1346 of 2985
I was at the Bristol Sound & Vision show yesterday. I had with me my E12 and iPod Classic. I was able to use it to listen to a number of different headphones including the top of the range Sennheiser HD700 and HD800, audio Technica ATH AD900 and AD1000 and some $700 Perfect Sound cans.

It wasn't the perfect listening conditions due to the noise of people and other gear but I was amazed at how well the E12 performed with every single headphone. The HD800 needed the gain adjusted. That can needs power.

And for those that have forgotten my review is on page 38 from memory on this thread.
post #1347 of 2985
Yeah it's on page 38, and also on the E12's product profile here on Head-Fi, I believe. I forget, did you read my review too? High-five for being some of the first!
I'm impressed with the difference in soundstage amped vs "unamped," even the HE-400 that is supposed to be easy to drive was improved. How did you like the Mont Blanc + HD700 and HD800 combo? I haven't heard of the Perfect Sound products, but I'm interested in the new Audio Technica AD700x and AD1000x headphones.
post #1348 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

The bass heads are of the lesser majority and shouldn't even be an influence on something.  Pandering towards the uninformed/inexperienced can't possibly ever be the right approach.  Almost everyone starts out a bass head but it's typically grown out of for many proper reasons.

 

Right, like all bassheads are uninformed/unexperienced? Get of your high horse now. /end of rant

post #1349 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Yeah it's on page 38, and also on the E12's product profile here on Head-Fi, I believe. I forget, did you read my review too? High-five for being some of the first!
I'm impressed with the difference in soundstage amped vs "unamped," even the HE-400 that is supposed to be easy to drive was improved. How did you like the Mont Blanc + HD700 and HD800 combo? I haven't heard of the Perfect Sound products, but I'm interested in the new Audio Technica AD700x and AD1000x headphones.

High Five back smily_headphones1.gif Yes I read your excellent review smily_headphones1.gif

The Mont Blanc is great with the Sennheisers. Best suited to the HD700 mainly because the HD800 need more power. Therefore the HD700 just rock better. It's a close call. The Audio Technica were driven very effectively. It was too noisy to hear them properly but I'm tempted to buy a pair as a permanent addition. The E12 was better than the full size amp with the Audio Technica.
post #1350 of 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post

Ok. I'm listening to the mp3 version of Dreams of New Orleans by Wycliffe Gordon. This album is notoriously quiet in volume so anything I've used without an amp sounds missing power and oomph.

With the E12 all the different instruments and nuances of the music can be heard at whatever volume you need to go deaf smily_headphones1.gif the separation and sound stage is all there.

But for me the over riding aspects is the musicality of the music. I have taken tomorrow off as a days holiday just to listen to my E12. For me this will be my main music source for my listening using the Sennhesier HD568, which have sounded the best out of all the amps I have tried.

With the HD568 I have used Graham Slee Voyager, E17, Littledot MKIV and my MacBook. But the E12 is what does it for me.

I really wish you could join me in a group listening session and enjoy what I am hearing. Fiio I love this baby

When you all get yours I hope you come to the same conclusion.


Would love to hear more about the comparison to the Graham Slee Voyager, that I love and rate quite highly

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.