Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread, the pre order unit arrives.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread, the pre order unit arrives. - Page 176

post #2626 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

I feel shame because SOMETIMES I use the bass boost.

Usually with Q701s.

 

Like I said earlier, don't tell anyone!

I have to confess, right now I've got my Galaxy S3 plugged into an FiiO E18 DAC and its line out to a Schiit Vali to an HD600. I'm using NeutronMP to play music and I've got the parametric EQ low band set to 80hz, the Q turned up just right and I'm not telling how many DB I've boosted the sub bass. Sounds good to me, I'm listening to Yes, "The Miracle of Life."  Who knows what's next, maybe The Who.

post #2627 of 2820

Funny, I have the version 1 model and know of the bass rolloff, but don't engage it.  I use EQ on my rockboxed iPod to which it is connected, though.   I don't view the frequency tilt of the E12 to be an issue. 

 

For those who want to have some fun, though, here are some simple parametric EQ parameters to "equalize" the frequency response of the FiiO E12.  Data has been grabbed from Jensinger's post here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671590/rmaa-comparison-fiio-e17-alpen-and-e12-mont-blanc#post_9601573

 

Bass filter:  Gain = +0.3dB, Center Frequency = 13 Hz, Q = 0.4

Treble filter:  Gain = -0.1dB, Center Frequency = 10000 Hz, Q = 0.2

 

The resulting curve is flat to within +/-0.05dB from 20 Hz to 20000 Hz.

 

The parameters are Rockbox-friendly; that is, you can get Rockbox to implement them, but you'll need to edit the equalizer .cfg file with a text editor to get access to the parameter values needed.

 

Going back and forth with the above preset, I do notice that the stock E12 sound is a teensy-bit brighter than flat.  The bass rolloff is very hard to hear and probably won't be apparent unless you listening to explosions (movies/gaming). 

 

post #2628 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I have to confess, right now I've got my Galaxy S3 plugged into an FiiO E18 DAC and its line out to a Schiit Vali to an HD600. I'm using NeutronMP to play music and I've got the parametric EQ low band set to 80hz, the Q turned up just right and I'm not telling how many DB I've boosted the sub bass. Sounds good to me, I'm listening to Yes, "The Miracle of Life."  Who knows what's next, maybe The Who.

 

Yes.

You never know who's next.

post #2629 of 2820
The E12's bassboost works?eek.gif I've always thought it was a placebo switch for you audiophile type, like a $200 cable or the K712 and K701 are different headphones.
Edited by RoMee - 1/22/14 at 4:35pm
post #2630 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I have to confess, right now I've got my Galaxy S3 plugged into an FiiO E18 DAC and its line out to a Schiit Vali to an HD600. I'm using NeutronMP to play music and I've got the parametric EQ low band set to 80hz, the Q turned up just right and I'm not telling how many DB I've boosted the sub bass. Sounds good to me, I'm listening to Yes, "The Miracle of Life."  Who knows what's next, maybe The Who.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

 

Yes.

You never know who's next.

Who? Tommy?

post #2631 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

The E12's bassboost works?eek.gif I've always thought it was a placebo switch for you audiophile type, like a $200 cable or the K712 and K701 are different headphones.

It only works if you have a $200 interconnect and silver  headphone cables. Otherwise, nada.

post #2632 of 2820

I'm getting REALLY good battery life from my E12. I see people claiming 14-16 hours, but I'm pushing well over 20 and the battery indicator still hasn't come on. Does cold weather make batteries last longer? It's like -25c outside.

 

I commute 4 hours a day, music on the whole time. About 45mins to an hour listening at work. Another hour at home.

 

Perhaps it's because I keep volume around 30-40% (low gain) and use 40ohm headphones but DAMN, colour me impressed.

 

I just hate how clunky the lightning to 30 pin adapter + L9 cable is. Adds about 3.5cm length to my portable assembly lol. Not sure how long that's gonna last as I wear fitted pants mostly. Thank god for crapple's warranty though, they swap devices for me really easy. I know warranty processes inside out as I work in technical services field so that probably helps lol. Guessing the Lightning port or Lightning to 30 Pin adapter will be the first to go. 

 

Does anyone know where I can snag some of those rubber adhesive pads similar to the ones that come with the E12? One's starting to shift a bit and I only got two spares. Wouldn't mind some spare rubber bands either. I like to be prepared.


Edited by Scorpion667 - 1/22/14 at 5:57pm
post #2633 of 2820
I left mine on in my room, at minimal volume, on low-gain, not connected to any headphones, and it lasted around 13-14 hours on a full charge.
Edited by miceblue - 1/22/14 at 7:28pm
post #2634 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post
 

I'm getting REALLY good battery life from my E12. I see people claiming 14-16 hours, but I'm pushing well over 20 and the battery indicator still hasn't come on. Does cold weather make batteries last longer? It's like -25c outside.

 

I commute 4 hours a day, music on the whole time. About 45mins to an hour listening at work. Another hour at home.

 

Perhaps it's because I keep volume around 30-40% (low gain) and use 40ohm headphones but DAMN, colour me impressed.

 

I just hate how clunky the lightning to 30 pin adapter + L9 cable is. Adds about 3.5cm length to my portable assembly lol. Not sure how long that's gonna last as I wear fitted pants mostly. Thank god for crapple's warranty though, they swap devices for me really easy. I know warranty processes inside out as I work in technical services field so that probably helps lol. Guessing the Lightning port or Lightning to 30 Pin adapter will be the first to go. 

 

Does anyone know where I can snag some of those rubber adhesive pads similar to the ones that come with the E12? One's starting to shift a bit and I only got two spares. Wouldn't mind some spare rubber bands either. I like to be prepared.


Generally cold will kill battery life like nothing else..

post #2635 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Generally cold will kill battery life like nothing else..

Doesn't the E12 have a Lithium battery?
lithium batteries are far less affected by the cold temperatures than the olde skule batteries, like your car battery.
post #2636 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Doesn't the E12 have a Lithium battery?
lithium batteries are far less affected by the cold temperatures than the olde skule batteries, like your car battery.

They don't like the cold either.

post #2637 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Doesn't the E12 have a Lithium battery?
lithium batteries are far less affected by the cold temperatures than the olde skule batteries, like your car battery.

They don't like the cold either.

 

But are they far less affected?

post #2638 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post
 

 

But are they far less affected?

Than a car battery? Even though it was 5F this morning, I wasn't about to test either battery.:D I am definitely affected.

post #2639 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post

But are they far less affected?

I have seen Li-polymer batteries rated at 80 % of rated capacity at -40 C.
Refer to:
wewinbattery.com
for example.

The truth is it depends on the technology of the actual battery FiiO uses.
Edited by Chris J - 1/23/14 at 3:05pm
post #2640 of 2820

Hi, I've read there's a new version (v2) of the E12 available.

I'm in the UK and want to order one. I've looked on Amazon.co.uk, but there are only two entries for the E12 and neither of them specify whether they are version 1 or 2 of the amp!

 

Is there any way of telling (from the device itself, and without opening it up, whether it's a v2 or not?

Also, is there a specific code/serial number for versions 1 and 2?

All advice welcome, thanks! :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread, the pre order unit arrives.