Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › 1000GB flac on-the-go successfully, streaming to iPhone/iPad/Android portables
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1000GB flac on-the-go successfully, streaming to iPhone/iPad/Android portables - Page 2

post #16 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

^ Wow, Great job, headfinoob. That sonds amazing. I am not computer savvy enough to understand all of it, but I am sure someone else will!
Your laptop / netbook has to be on all the time, correct? Can you have evrything running with laptop's screen folded and powered off?

Yeah, it just needs to be powered on.  I just change the settings in Power Options to do nothing when the lid is closed. 

My next goal is to figure out how to set up a WiFi infrastructure mode from another mobile device.  That way one can stream content from another phone instead of the laptop/netbook method I posted above.  I foresee a few possible paths for this:

1.  WiFi direct with CIFS (I don't have two devices compatible with WiFi direct yet.)

2.  Use of WiFi tether app for infrastructure mode and changing IP tables to allow a SMB share server on the same device.

3.  WiFi Tether for infrastructure mode works when used in conjunction with an FTP server, but its kind of limited in that browsing is done inside an FTP browser on the receiving device.

 

To get around the computer, one can carry three devices.  Two phones and a MiFi (such as the Novatel hotspot).  The MiFi can be on, broadcasting its SSID, while both phones are connected to the MiFi over WiFi.  Then one phone acts as a SMB share, the other will have CIFS installed using the methods in the post above.  This is actually pretty cool, but none of the phones will have internet service unless you are paying for service on the MiFi.

post #17 of 117
Thread Starter 

Well, I found out that the CloudFTP has a streaming speed cap of 400 kbps. So lossless music will either pause or not play at all (320 kbps mp3 will work). This is directly from the tech support of CloudFTP. I am a little sad....

 

Back to the NAS option.

post #18 of 117

On a related note, I'm thinking of connecting my portable hard disk to a router (that has usb support), and connect to my PC via network cable.

Will it be fast enough to support lossless streaming?

post #19 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

On a related note, I'm thinking of connecting my portable hard disk to a router (that has usb support), and connect to my PC via network cable.

Will it be fast enough to support lossless streaming?


Should be fine.  I haven't tested NAS yet as I usually have a computer on anyway.  Lossless is only 1.44mbps if you're streaming WAV or about 800kbps if you're streaming FLAC.  If you have 24/96 files, they can be up 4.6mbps uncompressed or about half that with FLAC.

post #20 of 117
The thing about the routers with usb port is that sometimes it cannot manage hdd with large capacity. The other thing that you can do is use a NAS adapter. I think there is a usb to ethernet adapter and it includes the NAS software in order to stream. I can't remember the name of the device but can be a good solution if you want to switch between externnal hdd drives

Edit: the Addonics adapter is one of them in the market. I never try it maybe someone has experience with it
Edited by johnnyjazz - 7/30/12 at 7:24pm
post #21 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post

The thing about the routers with usb port is that sometimes it cannot manage hdd with large capacity. The other thing that you can do is use a NAS adapter. I think there is a usb to ethernet adapter and it includes the NAS software in order to stream. I can't remember the name of the device but can be a good solution if you want to switch between externnal hdd drives
Edit: the Addonics adapter is one of them in the market. I never try it maybe someone has experience with it

 

You mean power issues? Or software limitation?

Power wise its externally powered, so shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, NAS is always a better solution. But I don't really have that much data. This one's a 2TB HDD.

post #22 of 117

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/5/14 at 12:26am
post #23 of 117

I use BubbleUPnP in combination with Twonky servers on my desktop to stream FLAC to my Samsung Galaxy S III. I can even listen to my tracks on Verizon's 4G LTE, which is at times faster than my home's 25 Mbps cable connection.

post #24 of 117
Thread Starter 

Welcome to Headfi, dazKewl!

post #25 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

Welcome to Headfi, dazKewl!


Thanks zzffnn. I can't believe this was my first post here! Have been such a big time lurker in the past few weeks that felt like I had posted here already... oh well. Thank you for the welcome.

 

I think this is the semi-appropriate thread for me to say how much I love the combination of my Samsung Galaxy S III and HD 800--don't shoot me please but while waiting for my c421 + ODAC combo to arrive, I have been using my little E6 as the amplifier... It drove my Grado SP1000 (before I returned it to get the HD 800 instead) so well, but it's too weak for the power-hungry HD 800... but surprisingly enough, using PowerAmp on my GS3 with E6 on its way, it sounds so very beautifully! I do have to tweak the bass knob to get some terrific bass out of it, but with a little bit of tweaking, the sound is simply fantastic on my FLAC tracks... I can't wait for my c421... can't even imagine better sound quality than what I am experiencing already and yes that's only with the E6!!!

post #26 of 117
I'm curious about adroid players with streaming audio, specially samsung, phone or not. Can you use that apps that seems to sound good like power amp or voodoo with streaming flac files? What about battery life with wifi on? I know that they have removable battery and you can use high capacity ones, which is an advantage compare to apple products. On the other hand, I read that android requires more power than iOS.
post #27 of 117
Today I find a wireless router with USB port at work. So i went home and bring a external 500 gb hdd and connected it to the router and well, there is a good and a bad news
The good is that it works, i can access the files with the notebook. The bad is that it was really slow, I played some files with foobar and there was some lag. Maybe the router is a bit old, it is a tp-link wireless n. And maybe if you get a router that supports USB 3.0 the speed could be better. But for now, I think a NAS is the best solution or just wait for routers with better usb hdd support
Just my 2 cents
post #28 of 117

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/5/14 at 12:26am
post #29 of 117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post

Today I find a wireless router with USB port at work. So i went home and bring a external 500 gb hdd and connected it to the router and well, there is a good and a bad news
The good is that it works, i can access the files with the notebook. The bad is that it was really slow, I played some files with foobar and there was some lag. Maybe the router is a bit old, it is a tp-link wireless n. And maybe if you get a router that supports USB 3.0 the speed could be better. But for now, I think a NAS is the best solution or just wait for routers with better usb hdd support
Just my 2 cents

 

Thank you Johnny for the information. A while ago, I thought about the same approach: connecting hard drives to the USB ports of a router (I did not proceed as I could not find access to such a router and I thought those are mainly designed for printers with small flash memory). That was my speculation though, real-world user experience is always more helpful. 

post #30 of 117

For the past few years (I think at least 5+) I have been using a HP Media Vault 500GB to stream audio, video, pics, etc. flawlessly... It's attached to the router via an Ethernet port. Then I can access it that way. I have recently added a ton of FLAC and have been streaming not only locally (while in the LAN) and remotely (using BubbleUPnP and Twonky). No lag whatsoever... I could not find a solution for iDevices--for this and a few other reasons I migrated from Apple products (iPhone 4 & 4s and iPad 3) to all Android (Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC Rezound, & Nexus 7), and I could not be happier! Just received my ODAC/C421 combo in the mail, hooked them up (using an OTG USB cable) to my SG III and the sound is heavenly...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › 1000GB flac on-the-go successfully, streaming to iPhone/iPad/Android portables