Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Post Your Giant Killers Here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post Your Giant Killers Here! - Page 11

post #151 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

PX100-II >> PX100 > PortaPro >>> KSC75

 

Not necessarily saying the KSC75 is bad, because it's pretty decent. Just putting it in perspective.

 

I would reverse that, but that's just my opinion.

post #152 of 195
Thread Starter 

I might get the KSC75 on Friday. MAYBE.

post #153 of 195

Yo,

 

As good as the PX100-II are, I feel they aren't "giant killers". I think they are easily worth much more than $50, maybe even $100. They, to my ears, are better than my SR-80i. They do top the PortaPro and KSC75 and those to me are good headphones. 

 

Speaking of the KSC75, I've always valued them at $50-$60 just for the sound alone. They are that good! As for the PortaPro, it's great at $40, but I feel the KSC75 surpasses it. It sounds like a muddy mess IMO. I'm not hating on it as I like the PortaPro, but I feel they are not worth more than $40.

post #154 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Yo,

 

As good as the PX100-II are, I feel they aren't "giant killers". I think they are easily worth much more than $50, maybe even $100. They, to my ears, are better than my SR-80i. They do top the PortaPro and KSC75 and those to me are good headphones. 

 

Speaking of the KSC75, I've always valued them at $50-$60 just for the sound alone. They are that good! As for the PortaPro, it's great at $40, but I feel the KSC75 surpasses it. It sounds like a muddy mess IMO. I'm not hating on it as I like the PortaPro, but I feel they are not worth more than $40.

 

I generally agree. Except I think the KSC75's on a headband equal the PX100-II. But the sound is quite different between the two, so a lot of it is subjective I think. And regarding the Portapro's, I also found the bass to be too muddy when using the headband. But did you try the Portapro's on the earclips? That transformed the sound quite a bit for the better imo (in fact, I might buy the Sportapro's just to get the drivers).


Edited by waynes world - 8/14/12 at 4:47pm
post #155 of 195
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

I generally agree. Except I think the KSC75's on a headband equal the PX100-II. But the sound is quite different between the two, so a lot of it is subjective I think. And regarding the Portapro's, I also found the bass to be too muddy when using the headband. But did you try the Portapro's on the earclips? That transformed the sound quite a bit for the better imo (in fact, I might buy the Sportapro's just to get the drivers).

The driver transfer in the Sportapro's sounds pretty neat.

post #156 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbenn74 View Post

The driver transfer in the Sportapro's sounds pretty neat.

 

I was actually thinking of getting the Sportapro's drivers (which are the same as Portapro drivers) and putting them on my KSC75 earclips. When I had put the Portapro drivers on the earclips, I really liked the sound. Sportapro's are a lot cheaper than the Portapro though, so it makes sense to buy them to get the same drivers.

 

Possibly what you are meaning though is to put the KSC75 drivers on the Sportapro headband. That my friend would be worth a try! I think I read though that the Sportapro's clamp on the ears a bit more than the Portapro's, so that might be more than my soft head could take :)

post #157 of 195

Giant Killers

 

Home Set Up: Fostex T50RP Modded ($90) with Sony Playstation 1 (1001 serial no. audiophile dac, $9 at thrift store)  and vintage Pioneer receiver ($30).

Portable with iphone: Koss KSC-75

 

Also:

Magnum driver in a Grado SR60i body


Edited by sling5s - 8/14/12 at 9:53pm
post #158 of 195
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post

Giant Killers

 

Home Set Up: Fostex T50RP Modded ($90) with Sony Playstation 1 (1001 serial no. audiophile dac, $9 at thrift store)

Whaaaaaa? I'm confused...

post #159 of 195

I've been raving about the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs since I got them last week and the more I listen to them, the more I am convinced these are real giant killers. 

 

At around 250 to 265 dollars, The Mad Dogs are better at accurately reproducing music than nearly every high end, 500 dollar and up headphone I have personally used (and I have used a lot of them). There are no nasty treble peaks like the high end Grados and bass extends much farther without rolling off. There is no exaggerated bass hump like the Denon D5000. There is no grain to the sound and there is more clarity than the HD600. The bass is less rounded and the soundstage has clearer depth and precision than the HD650.

 

Plus they have technicalities to match up with some of the best headphones out there. They are very fast, they have amazing pinpoint imaging, they have a layered 3D soundstage, There is no unnatural ringing or resonances producing harsh treble or a shouty midrange. The bass is pretty flat and extends below 60 Hz. It's well behaved and not wooly or dirty bass. There is no graininess to the sound. it's smooth and clean.

 

I have never experienced a headphone that cost so much less than the competition that actually sounded better than them. Not just "pretty good for the price". That's what has amazed me about these. 

 

Their weak points compared to the TOTL headphones I have heard. HP1000, HD800, LCD3, SR-007.

 

They do not have the same bass extension as the LCD3. they're pretty flat down low but there's just more bass power with the LCD3.

They do not have the same tall and wide soundstage as the cans I just listed (except the HP1000). It's precise and layered, but not huge.

They lack a bit of sweetness in the midrange that you get with the LCD3 or the SR-007. mids are a tiny bit drier.

They're not as neutral in FR as the HP1000 or SR-007. but they're still pretty darn good. I find them to be flatter than the HD800 as there's no treble peak.

 

Another weak point, at least compared to something like a Grado PS500, is that they truly require a pretty powerful amp to drive them. So finding a good portable amp might be a challenge. I'm currently using an ALO Continental at work and Burson Soloist at the desk for them. I'm curious to try an O2 in the future to see if something more affordable can drive them as well as I am hearing them now.


Edited by LCfiner - 8/15/12 at 6:23pm
post #160 of 195
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

I've been raving about the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs since I got them last week and the more I listen to them, the more I am convinced these are real giant killers. 

 

At around 250 to 265 dollars, The Mad Dogs are better at accurately reproducing music than nearly every high end, 500 dollar and up headphone I have personally used (and I have used a lot of them). There are no nasty treble peaks like the high end Grados and bass extends much farther without rolling off. There is no exaggerated bass hump like the Denon D5000. There is no grain to the sound and there is more clarity than the HD600. The bass is less rounded and the soundstage has clearer depth and precision than the HD650.

 

Plus they have technicalities to match up with some of the best headphones out there. They are very fast, they have amazing pinpoint imaging, they have a layered 3D soundstage, There is no unnatural ringing or resonances producing harsh treble or a shouty midrange. The bass is pretty flat and extends below 60 Hz. It's well behaved and not wooly or dirty bass. There is no graininess to the sound. it's smooth and clean.

 

I have never experienced a headphone that cost so much less than the competition that actually sounded better than them. Not just "pretty good for the price". That's what has amazed me about these. 

 

Their weak points compared to the TOTL headphones I have heard. HP1000, HD800, LCD3, SR-007.

 

They do not have the same bass extension as the LCD3. they're pretty flat down low but there's just more bass power with the LCD3.

They do not have the same tall and wide soundstage as the cans I just listed (except the HP1000). It's precise and layered, but not huge.

They lack a bit of sweetness in the midrange that you get with the LCD3 or the SR-007. mids are a tiny bit drier.

They're not as neutral in FR as the HP1000 or SR-007. but they're still pretty darn good. I find them to be flatter than the HD800 as there's no treble peak.

 

Another weak point, at least compared to something like a Grado PS500, is that they truly require a pretty powerful amp to drive them. So finding a good portable amp might be a challenge. I'm currently using an ALO Continental at work and Burson Soloist at the desk for them. I'm curious to try an O2 in the future to see if something more affordable can drive them as well as I am hearing them now.

Wow. That was quite an interesting read. Thank you. :)

post #161 of 195

Sennheiser MX 980 - I challenge every earbuds that can outperform or even match their perfomance! Well *coughs*, it's around $200. But still! They beat many IEMs/headphones in this price range IMHO. Any serious audiophile should make their way to give them a listen! Don't judge them for being an earbud. They sound no earbuds to me!

 

Beyerdynamic DT 1350 - I'll give you 1-2 weeks for finding your sweet spot with these and be convinced that these are truly the one!

post #162 of 195

The MX 980 would be amazing if they actually fit human ears. I haven't seen many people that can maintain a seal without sitting perfectly still. 

post #163 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post

Sennheiser MX 980 - I challenge every earbuds that can outperform or even match their perfomance! Well *coughs*, it's around $200. But still! They beat many IEMs/headphones in this price range IMHO. Any serious audiophile should make their way to give them a listen! Don't judge them for being an earbud. They sound no earbuds to me!

 

i like yuin pk1/ok1 better and it looks anti-theft as well

post #164 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post

Beyerdynamic DT 1350 - I'll give you 1-2 weeks for finding your sweet spot with these and be convinced that these are truly the one!

 

Based on this thread, I am convinced even without owning them yet!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350

post #165 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Based on this thread, I am convinced even without owning them yet!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350

Haha. You'll be convinced even better if you have them. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

The MX 980 would be amazing if they actually fit human ears. I haven't seen many people that can maintain a seal without sitting perfectly still. 

 

I have to agree to that. But on sound alone, they are the best earbuds without a doubt.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Post Your Giant Killers Here!