Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue) - Page 5

post #61 of 154

Tell your friend to buy a WA-234 Mono Amplifier :)

post #62 of 154

I have to respectfully disagree with posts about climbing the ladder. Sure it's what I did and sure you learn a lot that way, but when your goal is pure musical immersion and you don't care to learn about the equipment you're listening to, going straight to the TOTL saves you plenty of money, time, and frustration. I personally enjoy the climbing-the-ladder path more than going straight to the top simply because headphones have become a passion of mine, but honestly listening to an HD800 was much more exciting and seemed much more immersive when coming from the ATH-M50 than it does now, when I own a T5p and a PS1000.

post #63 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

I have to respectfully disagree with posts about climbing the ladder. Sure it's what I did and sure you learn a lot that way, but when your goal is pure musical immersion and you don't care to learn about the equipment you're listening to, going straight to the TOTL saves you plenty of money, time, and frustration. I personally enjoy the climbing-the-ladder path more than going straight to the top simply because headphones have become a passion of mine, but honestly listening to an HD800 was much more exciting and seemed much more immersive when coming from the ATH-M50 than it does now, when I own a T5p and a PS1000.

 

 

I 2nd this opinion. I also agree that just because someone wants the best equipment, why not let him. Its not necessarily bragging rights when someone buys an ultra expensive headphone; any musical person would be able to tell the difference between an M50 and a top of the line Stax SR 009. If he has the money then let them do as they please. I still agree that any musical person who enjoys listening to music who wants to get into the audiophile world SHOULD learn how things work and start from the bottom up but for someone who doesn't have time for all that and wants to listen to music in the best possible way then why not get the best you could have?

post #64 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjarrett87 View Post

 

I 2nd this opinion. I also agree that just because someone wants the best equipment, why not let him. Its not necessarily bragging rights when someone buys an ultra expensive headphone; any musical person would be able to tell the difference between an M50 and a top of the line Stax SR 009. If he has the money then let them do as they please. I still agree that any musical person who enjoys listening to music who wants to get into the audiophile world SHOULD learn how things work and start from the bottom up but for someone who doesn't have time for all that and wants to listen to music in the best possible way then why not get the best you could have?

 

 

I see your point, but there's no denying that with a slow journey to the top, the ability to appreciate the nuanced differences in high-end stuff is much more appreciated no matter the person (and especially if they have great ears). Without the experience of the climb to the top, the ear is not developed to be able to hear all the things your journey has shown you. And if you do have a rare set of great ears, the climb will further your appreciation. 


Edited by SoundFreaq - 7/26/12 at 12:11pm
post #65 of 154

So, did the OP decide on an amp or were some of us too aggressive in being trolling ******** to get anything done (not talking about the ladder discussion, but about the false recommendations of a $10,000 amp after a true price point was already stated)?

post #66 of 154

The op asked a question ''as the title says''

 

And the title says 

 

 

''The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue)''

 

To the op:

What did you expect people to say?

 

 

Useless thread. Pointless question.

post #67 of 154

If you don't have a background in a hobby, you assume there's a pat answer within the budget you thought up in your head.

 

 

I agree that this thread has generally been useless.

post #68 of 154

Guys, calm down and be nice. First of all, the OP was researching for a friend and did not know that the friend would realistically have any limits. Second, it's obvious that the general public is unaware of headphones costing more than a few hundred dollars, and it's a good sign that the OP had done research to the point of knowing that some flaghips could get up in the $1000 range. Just because he's not an in-the-know audiophile who knows all about electrostats and vintage kit like most of us doesn't mean he isn't worth understanding and helping. Third, it became clear by a few pages into the thread that because of conditions that could not be helped that a price point was actually in play. Sure, it could've been stated earlier, but our job as Head-Fi'ers is not to change the past and yell at new members. It's not an attactive option to gain new members and make ourselves look nice. Let's just help the OP as much as we can without spilling blind hatred all over them for the mistakes of a friend and lack of knowledge on his part. If he had known all about the headphone world, the OP probably wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

 

I am disgusted sometimes at the elitism at Head-Fi. OP, don't let the detractors make you think that most of us are like this. Most of us sincerely want to help.

post #69 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

I am disgusted sometimes at the elitism at Head-Fi. OP, don't let the detractors make you think that most of us are like this. Most of us sincerely want to help.

 

Well said!

post #70 of 154

Well I agree that most of us are just here to help but I think that includes the people pointing out that this thread is pretty silly.

 

When you come to head-fi and ask for advice on the condition that "money is no issue" you will get helpful members pointing you in the direction of $20,000 setups. I don't think anyone has been outright rude.

post #71 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Well I agree that most of us are just here to help but I think that includes the people pointing out that this thread is pretty silly.

 

When you come to head-fi and ask for advice on the condition that "money is no issue" you will get helpful members pointing you in the direction of $20,000 setups. I don't think anyone has been outright rude.

It's not rude to do that right away, but it's rude to continue to do it just to poke fun after a clear price has been set, and to assume an elitist attitude later in the discussion and call the thread pointless or useless simply because the OP didn't have all the information right away.

post #72 of 154

Yeah I guess. But he's already come and gone and the thread is pretty much dead now. People are just seeing the title in the main list and stopping in to add their 2 cents which I think is predictable. After all, this is head-fi, people can't resist a "money is no issue" thread. :)

 

BTW I agree with you that people need to avoid being rude. I just haven't been surprised by the responses and I don't think you can expect to avoid them in a situation like this.

post #73 of 154

No mention of an IEM at all?  Wow!

 

I would go for the JH AUdio 16Pro system using the JH-3a amp.  One would be hard pressed to find a better sounding system as far as amp and headphones go.  I am talking 8 discrete drivers delivering sound so real that no other headphone is going to match with one driver per earpiece.  They are lighter than any headphone, are much more portable, and there is not question whether they can be used for studio work.

 

For the price one would remain quite challenged to find a more real sounding and enjoyable system.

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/jh-audio-jh16-pro-for-jh-3a-amp.php

post #74 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

No mention of an IEM at all?  Wow!

 

I would go for the JH AUdio 16Pro system using the JH-3a amp.  One would be hard pressed to find a better sounding system as far as amp and headphones go.  I am talking 8 discrete drivers delivering sound so real that no other headphone is going to match with one driver per earpiece.  They are lighter than any headphone, are much more portable, and there is not question whether they can be used for studio work.

 

For the price one would remain quite challenged to find a more real sounding and enjoyable system.

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/jh-audio-jh16-pro-for-jh-3a-amp.php

I think we'd be going for something warmer here, and since the OP's friend jumped on the Audez'e the moment it was suggested I doubt that he'd have waited for ear impressions, etc.

post #75 of 154

Yep. At this point he's just looking for an amp for the LCD-2's. (and he might have already jumped the gun on that too)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue)