- productACS T1tagged by System, 7/25/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 7/25/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/25/12
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 7/30/12
- productFinal Audio Design Muramasa VIIItagged by System, 7/25/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/25/12
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 7/30/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 7/25/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 7/25/12More
- productWoo Audio WDS-1tagged by System, 7/25/12
- productWoo Audio WEStagged by System, 7/25/12
- productWoo Audio WTP-1tagged by System, 7/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 9/25/15 at 9:25am in High-end Audio Forum
- If You Could Have Any Headphone.... Last post on 7/17/12 at 3:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Thought warranty was 5 years but found out the hard way it's only 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue) - Page 2post #16 of 1547/25/12 at 7:52pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1547/25/12 at 8:18pm
If you're looking ultra high-end, a full top-of-the-line far-as-you-can-go setup would most likely include a Stax SR009 ($5200), a Woo Audio WES amplifier ($4990), a Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC ($1199), and a Woo Audio WTP-1 Top-Loading CD Transport ($1199). Though it's arguable that a dedicated SACD player would do better than the WTP-1 pure audio-wise, tests have proven that even to golden ears an SACD playback is indistinguishable from CD, and your friend would have to build an entire SACD collection, which is hard to do. In addition, keeping all the components Woo ensures sonic synergy.
Total for audio nirvana: $12,588
Look on his face when he realizes he didn't plan on spending that much: pricelesspost #18 of 1547/25/12 at 8:22pmQuote:
Well, actually the Sennheiser HE90/HEV90 Orpheus is the most expensive. The system sold a few years back for $30,000 at one point. In addition, we still don't know if the Muramasa VIII sounds any good, as Final is actually discontinuing them before release, with only a few being shipped out to pre-order customers because it's not financially viable to make.
There's no way the OP is getting their hands on that.post #19 of 1547/25/12 at 8:31pmpost #20 of 1547/25/12 at 8:36pmpost #21 of 1547/25/12 at 8:40pm
Jude has said that he believes a good SR009 combo beats out the HE90 in terms of sonic performance. It's a limited, handcrafted collectible, but I believe the Stax has the edge over the Sennheiser. I can't say from personal experience, however, as I've never heard an HE90.post #22 of 1547/25/12 at 8:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by ssrock64
Jude has said that he believes a good SR009 combo beats out the HE90 in terms of sonic performance. It's a limited, handcrafted collectible, but I believe the Stax has the edge over the Sennheiser. I can't say from personal experience, however, as I've never heard an HE90.
If you are susceptible to placebo effect, and care more about musicality and engagement than dead-on accuracy, then HE90s probably win against SR009. Especially the case as the HE90s have the most euphoric smoothed over liquid fluid organic sound ever, as described by most who've auditioned it.post #23 of 1547/25/12 at 8:54pmpost #24 of 1547/25/12 at 8:58pm
The HE90/HEV90 combo is being sold by wiktor, who seems to be currently selling off about half his profile.
In other news, the second most-expensive headphone listing on eBay is for a lot of 2500 Altec-Lansing in-ears. I feel like buying just because I can (except I can't).post #25 of 1547/25/12 at 9:18pmThread Starterpost #26 of 1547/25/12 at 9:21pmQuote:
Haha I knew it! I thought to myself.... his friend is going to come back and say "Dood!... I thought the most expensive headphone ever would be something like $1,000 not $30,000!" Haha classic.post #27 of 1547/25/12 at 9:22pmpost #28 of 1547/25/12 at 9:24pmThread Starterpost #29 of 1547/25/12 at 9:28pmWiktor overcharges by insane amounts. On the other hand his gear generally is in pristine condition. At $31k I still wouldn't buy one even if I could afford it - paying that much for one will drive the market value up even more.
Too bad, HE90/HEV90 is definitely the most musical setup I've ever heard. If only Sennheiser still made 'stats instead of dynamics pretending to be 'stats, and failing at it.
- The best headphones i can buy! ( money is no issue)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
- › [USED] Custom Ve Monk with Demun cable and oyaide palladium jack 8 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 28 seconds ago
- › Looking for opinions on what to use as a source 46 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 47 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear