- 5 Posts. Joined 1/2015
- Location: Germany
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productApril Music Eximus DP-1tagged by System, 7/30/12
- productFostex TH 900tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by System, 7/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/30/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Euphonic High-End Headphones Last post on 11/12/14 at 9:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Based on my history which headphone is best for me or should i stick with CIEM? Last post on 6/11/13 at 3:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- please help me decide on new amp (and maybe dac) for my new LCD3's Last post on 12/29/12 at 11:02pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
My wife returned from two weeks in Japan today. While I was glad to see her after time apart, and excited to have her back, a part of me was more excited about what she had brought with her: my...
I bought this headphone amp after having met Ray Samuels at a Headphone show. He made it absolutely clear how much he valued over-engineering his pieces and how much he prioritized long term...
I use this Headphone amp with my V-Moda M-100's. The 100's are just too "dark" without something to mitigate on the top octave's behalf. The OLED display is bright clean and easy to read. (A...
Build, Overall Usage: I have Sennheiser RS 130 for over 8 years now (and still lasting!) which says enough about their durability, and which is the most thing fascinating for me, I haven't...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank CTC Audio for providing me with a review sample of T-Peos Baguette IEMs in exchange for my honest opinion. This IEM is available at...
Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? - Page 20post #286 of 2982/17/15 at 4:32amPerfect Thing!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 2984/20/15 at 8:45pm
Ok so I picked up a Benchmark DAC2 HGC to go with my Fostex TH900. I must say that this is a great pairing. The DAC2 is more than powerful enough to drive the TH-900 which has low requirements to run in the first place. Due to the warmth of the TH900 the sound is superb.
Listening to Michael Buble "Feeling Good" sounds deep and enriching.
Listening to Zedd Clarity is phenomenal. Separation of sounds is fantastic. I never could listen to that whole CD until now.
Boston Greatest hits including "Higher Power" song guitar sounds so dang clear. Not sure how to describe it.
Beck's Album Morning Phase sounds clear, nothing impressive but I have only listened to a couple songs
Wow I have to say "Dead can Dance" Album all sounds great but listen to the hang drum on the song "Anabasis" = Turn it up a little more than normal and listen. Wow
After I listen to the DAC2 for a few more weeks I'll post some more impressions after the honeymoon phase wears off.post #288 of 2984/24/15 at 2:22amI hust recently decided to acquire the fostex th-900 and it is on its way, but now I'm figuring out what to pair with it, and I was thinking of waiting till its arrival to then bring it around and compare different amplifiers with it...
I'm currently considering schiit, woo audio, auralic. Any more to add? The bakoon burson is not really worth it for the prices they go for here.post #289 of 2984/28/15 at 1:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by myap2328
I hust recently decided to acquire the fostex th-900 and it is on its way, but now I'm figuring out what to pair with it, and I was thinking of waiting till its arrival to then bring it around and compare different amplifiers with it...
I'm currently considering schiit, woo audio, auralic. Any more to add? The bakoon burson is not really worth it for the prices they go for here.
I have been listening to the Peachtree Audio Decco65 integrated amp (as a headphone amplifier) since January. I got it as a closeout special so it was cheapter than getting a Schitt Dac and Amp together. I think it sounds wonderful, full, fantastic...
I heard Auralic at a headphone meet last month. Great piece of kit. Fits the TH900 well. The Auralic owner didn't expect to like the TH900 as much as he did. But he liked the sound. He said he had to pay taxes, so wasn't going to be able to pick up a pair anytime soon.
I also have a Unison Research SH on order that I am looking forward to many hours with. I heard this amp at the headphone meet as well.
Just some thoughts on stuff to research.post #290 of 2984/28/15 at 1:35pm
The only thing I can offer is that I am using the Woo WA7 with the TH900's and the pairing is growing on me. I only use the amp side of the Woo as I have a separate DAC I prefer. I've been a fan of the Woo since I bought it quite a while back.
Have been listening to the TH900's every evening for almost a week now. The cans are growing on me. I found them a bit peaky at first and it felt like the low end was bleeding into the lower mids a bit...kind of muddy there, but I must be making the mental burn-in adjustment because they are coming into their own nicely with more hours on them.
Listening mostly to guitar based music, although some electronica and a bit of pop type stuff for sport to get the bass thump.
Pretty happy thus far. It's early, but for reference I was listening primarily to electrostats before.
HSpost #291 of 2984/28/15 at 1:41pmpost #292 of 2984/28/15 at 1:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by warrior1975
@HemiSam- Which DAC are you using with your Th900?
I'm using the Beresford Caiman Mk2. Great value for money IMO. The instructions aren't great, but it only took me a little while to figure it out. Definitely an upgrade over the Woo's DAC, although it is not bad at all.
HSpost #293 of 2984/28/15 at 2:08pmI loved the look of the wa7, but went with wa6 because I wanted a separate DAC. So, now I'm actively looking for something that will have great synergy with my Fostex. I'll check into that, thanks!!
My list so far:
Hugo (like being transportable)
Possibly gungir (bottom of list)
Still growing though.post #294 of 2984/28/15 at 2:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by warrior1975
I loved the look of the wa7, but went with wa6 because I wanted a separate DAC. So, now I'm actively looking for something that will have great synergy with my Fostex. I'll check into that, thanks!!
My list so far:
Hugo (like being transportable)
Possibly gungir (bottom of list)
Still growing though.
I placed an order for the Yggy but it'll be a few months out, I figure.
HSpost #295 of 2984/28/15 at 2:17pmpost #296 of 2985/14/15 at 11:10pm
I am currently using a NAD D1050 DAC and a Beyerdynamic A1 amp with my TH-900s. The pairing is unusual, but the setup is for my T1s, for which it makes perfect sense.
I had originally hoped to just use the built in amp from the NAD for the 900's, as they are sensitive enough that this should work well in theory, but in practice the difference from the A1 was very obvious. First time I got such a first-hand demonstration of flabby bass vs. tight bass control.
The idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the 900's, or trying out something entirely different like a tube amp appeals to me, but honestly I doubt I will see any significant returns. For a while I entertained the idea of a WA7 or a HP-8A, but from the discussion here it seems that the DAC in the WA7 is a bit weak, and the amp in the HP-8A is not quite all that.
I a few months I will be in the bay area again, so perhaps I should try to go to a meet and try out some combos? Can't seem to find a reseller of either Woo or high-end Fostex gear neat SF.
Thanks guys, keep the rewievs coming!post #297 of 2985/15/15 at 6:28am
Hi there. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with the TH900's and the Project Ember amp? I am about to make a good sized leap from the V-Moda M100's(which i still love) and a few others to the TH900 and my current amp is the Project Ember. Ive got about 6 different tubes for it and each one seems to have pretty distinct sound differences. I dont EQ any of my music I let the tube do the work for me :) but i will if i have to. I listen to just about everything but Country music. Thank you for the help :)
Edited by TheTodd - 5/15/15 at 6:44ampost #298 of 2985/24/15 at 1:39pm
- Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Aurisonics Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 1 second ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 8 seconds ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 1 minute ago
- › 11th Calgary Head-Fi Meet Sunday May 31st, 2015 at University of... 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › CX300 vs CX400 vs CX500? Or something else? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2