Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? - Page 11

post #151 of 237
@mrtim6 did your bakoon come with a power supply suited to Australia or do you use some kind of converter?
post #152 of 237
Hi Audio jester, my Bakoon was for Australian market so tit did not require a step down transformer. I seem to remember buying a cable for the power supply from Jaycar.
post #153 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddumb View Post


I've got the conductor with them at the moment....not a big difference to the colorfly c4 on it's own....might sound unlikely, but the C4 it's quite powerful enough for the sensitive 900's and there's great synergy already....think the conductor brings a subtle increase to detail and control, but only slight...which is why I'm interested in something that really compliments the th900 and isn't just a good dac/amp.

 

Which gain settings? burn-in time? Dac module you're using? 

To my ears, it easily bests all portable players. 

post #154 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1 View Post

Which gain settings? burn-in time? Dac module you're using? 
To my ears, it easily bests all portable players. 
Hi...I thought people might doubt my conclusions....but all I can say is, if you haven't tried the c4 with the th900, then please try.
I use low gain....it's a loaner so had had many hours burn in.....it's called conductor ha-160D
post #155 of 237
I've tried HM901 w both IEM card and minibox card together with TH900, the sound is fantastic. They sound pretty nice w A k120 straight out too. Of course I've listened these w dedicated desktop setups as well: HP-A8, Soloist and etc. The result? I think TH900s are pretty easy to drive, they can sound very nice w all these sources, and the difference is very subtle, sure won't stop me enjoying listening to them.
post #156 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengwei007 View Post

I've tried HM901 w both IEM card and minibox card together with TH900, the sound is fantastic. They sound pretty nice w A k120 straight out too. Of course I've listened these w dedicated desktop setups as well: HP-A8, Soloist and etc. The result? I think TH900s are pretty easy to drive, they can sound very nice w all these sources, and the difference is very subtle, sure won't stop me enjoying listening to them.
This is similar to my experiences with my own powerful dap.
post #157 of 237

It seems to be at odds with many opinions here but I really didn't like the Burson Soloist with my TH900. I even preferred the RSA Predator to the Soloist. Sure the technicalities are inferior but the music sounds better. I guess I just like the warmer fuller sound signature. For people with similar tastes to me I think the Violectric V200 would be a better bet than the Soloist. I am personally selling my Soloist right now and looking for an affordable second hand V200. 

post #158 of 237

hmmm... let's not forget about the source part of the equation

 

had the v800/v200 and conductor, using the v800 with the conductor's soloist amp really gave some nice body and depth to the sound, and using the v800/v200 gave even bolder sound

 

since then i'm left with only the conductor, sold the violectric stack to purchase the low impedence lcd-x and th-900, and the soloist puts quite a bit more juice into lower than 50 Ohms cans than the v200 do, and it seems that its lighter, brighter signature fits my taste better as an allarounder

 

if you miss body, weight and boldness in your music, both the v800 and v200 can add to it, and do that through the whole audible range not only the bass

 

the conductor, soloist, is more spacious, lighter, neutral, brighter, but still equally smooth and even smoother sometimes, feels like a safer bet for an allaround the music genres solution

 

i'm still waiting for the lcd-x and th-900 to arrive :)


Edited by roskodan - 4/8/14 at 4:08am
post #159 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsq17 View Post
 

It seems to be at odds with many opinions here but I really didn't like the Burson Soloist with my TH900. I even preferred the RSA Predator to the Soloist. Sure the technicalities are inferior but the music sounds better. I guess I just like the warmer fuller sound signature. For people with similar tastes to me I think the Violectric V200 would be a better bet than the Soloist. I am personally selling my Soloist right now and looking for an affordable second hand V200. 

I've heard quite a few people call it overrated.

post #160 of 237
I don't have Soloist but with Burson 160DS my TH900 has too much bass, it's pretty good for the first 5 minutes or so, but any minute after that my ears feel like I just came out from the club.

I think I prefer SR71b/CLAS -db combo for TH900 (with all silver connects).

I am kind of interested in HPAC or Zana Deux for TH900.
post #161 of 237

what a conundrum,

 

so v200/800

 

or

 

conductor pcm

 

or

 

conductor saber

 

or

 

chord hugo

 

I only have th-900 but plan to get other headphones in the future

post #162 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskodan View Post
 

hmmm... let's not forget about the source part of the equation

 

had the v800/v200 and conductor, using the v800 with the conductor's soloist amp really gave some nice body and depth to the sound, and using the v800/v200 gave even bolder sound

 

since then i'm left with only the conductor, sold the violectric stack to purchase the low impedence lcd-x and th-900, and the soloist puts quite a bit more juice into lower than 50 Ohms cans than the v200 do, and it seems that its lighter, brighter signature fits my taste better as an allarounder

 

if you miss body, weight and boldness in your music, both the v800 and v200 can add to it, and do that through the whole audible range not only the bass

 

the conductor, soloist, is more spacious, lighter, neutral, brighter, but still equally smooth and even smoother sometimes, feels like a safer bet for an allaround the music genres solution

 

i'm still waiting for the lcd-x and th-900 to arrive :)

 

Fully agree with your post. There are certain dac's that will pair the soloist better than others. That's why i got the Conductor (let me know how it sounds with the LCD X) 

post #163 of 237
I also didn't rate the conductor....maybe I'm also a full bodied sound lover?
post #164 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskodan View Post

 

i'm still waiting for the lcd-x and th-900 to arrive :)

 

So you have not heard these cans with the v200 or the Conductor? Wondering how you can know for sure which amp would sound better with the TH900 or not.

post #165 of 237

lol, make me laugh, out of the context attacks on something i never stated, post are meant to be read in the whole context, why bother to reply and insinuate something that was never stated, let's not even talk about the selective quotation, good job, keep it up !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?