Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Cardas Clarifier iPhone App
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cardas Clarifier iPhone App - Page 3

post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

He also explained it above...  It wasn't just try it...

 

I think it was explained that degaussing works on war ships, monitors, and cassette players (not sure how it works with a turntable though) by using a degauss coil.

 

But are you clear on how effective the product is in making a speaker/headphone degauss itself other than "we can clearly hear that it works"? Do you know why a speaker needs to be degaussed at all based on measurable performance parameters?


Edited by ultrabike - 7/26/12 at 6:39pm
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

He also explained it above...  It wasn't just try it...

 

His just "try it" was in response to Nick Charles' query:

 

Do you have some before and after measurements of transducers magnetic fields to illustrate the effect of the app, i.e can you show that it works ?

 

Nick wasn't asking for an explanation as to how it works, he was asking for some objective evidence that it works at all. And in response to such a question, just "try it" doesn't work here in the Sound Science forum.

 

se

post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post

 

I think it was explained that degaussing works on war ships, monitors, and cassette players (not sure how it works with a turntable though) by using a degauss coil.

 

But are you clear on how effective the product is in making a speaker/headphone degauss itself other than "we can clearly hear that it works"? Do you know why a speaker needs to be degaussed based on measurable performance parameters?

 

I haven't been able to make any sense out of it with regard to dynamic loudspeakers and headphones as to what exactly needs to be degaussed. 

 

It seems to be trying to say that it's the loudspeaker's pole piece that needs to be degaussed. But that makes no sense as the pole piece relies on it being magnetized in order to perform its primary function which is to be part of the magnetic circuit. Basically what the pole piece does is bring the magnet's opposite pole back up to the top to form the magnetic gap that the voice coil is situated in. The pole piece is constantly magnetized by the driver's permanent magnet, or electromaget in the rare case of a field coil driver. Since the pole piece is constantly magnetized, the whole notion of residual magnetization of the pole piece which would somehow need to be eliminated makes no sense.

 

700

 

se

post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

 

I haven't been able to make any sense out of it with regard to dynamic loudspeakers and headphones as to what exactly needs to be degaussed. 

 

It seems to be trying to say that it's the loudspeaker's pole piece that needs to be degaussed. But that makes no sense as the pole piece relies on it being magnetized in order to perform its primary function which is to be part of the magnetic circuit. Basically what the pole piece does is bring the magnet's opposite pole back up to the top to form the magnetic gap that the voice coil is situated in. The pole piece is constantly magnetized by the driver's permanent magnet, or electromaget in the rare case of a field coil driver. Since the pole piece is constantly magnetized, the whole notion of residual magnetization of the pole piece which would somehow need to be eliminated makes no sense.

 

700

 

se

What you said makes perfect sense to me beerchug.gif. Seems like the aim of the App is the elimination of the residual magnetic field of a magnet blink.gif which makes no-sense to me either. 

 

Hopefully Andy and George will shed some light.


Edited by ultrabike - 7/27/12 at 12:05am
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

 

I haven't been able to make any sense out of it with regard to dynamic loudspeakers and headphones as to what exactly needs to be degaussed. 

 

It seems to be trying to say that it's the loudspeaker's pole piece that needs to be degaussed. But that makes no sense as the pole piece relies on it being magnetized in order to perform its primary function which is to be part of the magnetic circuit. Basically what the pole piece does is bring the magnet's opposite pole back up to the top to form the magnetic gap that the voice coil is situated in. The pole piece is constantly magnetized by the driver's permanent magnet, or electromaget in the rare case of a field coil driver. Since the pole piece is constantly magnetized, the whole notion of residual magnetization of the pole piece which would somehow need to be eliminated makes no sense.

 

700

 

se

beerchug.gif

post #36 of 59

The green pen idea started out long ago as an APRIL FOOLS JOKE on the old usenet group <rec.audio> by James "jj" Johnston.

 

http://home.comcast.net/~retired_old_jj/

 

That it caught on as "serious business" is one of the best examples of how gullible audiophiles can be. 

post #37 of 59

As a joke is fine. Otherwise, I try to subscribe to the Golden Rule (more so than the Golden Ratio - though I have failed many times): "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself." i.e. avoid taking advantage of others.


Edited by ultrabike - 10/2/12 at 6:02pm
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorabji View Post

The green pen idea started out long ago as an APRIL FOOLS JOKE on the old usenet group <rec.audio> by James "jj" Johnston.

 

http://home.comcast.net/~retired_old_jj/

 

That it caught on as "serious business" is one of the best examples of how gullible audiophiles can be. 

 

JJ got that started? No Schiit? Don't remember that. I gave up on rec.audio once the moderators started getting beyond anal.

 

se

post #39 of 59

rec.audio was the original noisegroup.  When the noise became so high that group became useless, it was split up between rec.audio.opinion and the moderated rec.audio.high-end.  RAO degenerated into not being about audio at all and became a hangout for the mentally ill. (Middius, et al)

 

I once had a post to RAHE rejected because I used the word "nonsense".

post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorabji View Post

rec.audio was the original noisegroup.  When the noise became so high that group became useless, it was split up between rec.audio.opinion and the moderated rec.audio.high-end.  RAO degenerated into not being about audio at all and became a hangout for the mentally ill. (Middius, et al)

 

I once had a post to RAHE rejected because I used the word "nonsense".

 

Yes, it was RAHE I was referring to. Had a post rejected because the question was about two sentences and didn't require an answer more complicated than "Yes." The post to quote ratio wasn't good enough. But if I had written a significantly longer and completely needless reply, it would have been ok even though the whole point of the quote to post ratio was to save bandwidth.

 

But yeah, RAO and RAHE pretty much represented the two extremes. Unmoderated and moderated to the point of idiocy.

 

Since you appear to have been around for a while, were you ever a member of The Audiophile Network BBS?

 

se

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

Since you appear to have been around for a while, were you ever a member of The Audiophile Network BBS?

 

se

Nope.

 

Was on Asylum around the time jj was doing his "y'all" thing.  Out of there too.  Yuck...

 

You and I have done email before.  ;-)

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorabji View Post

Nope.

 

Was on Asylum around the time jj was doing his "y'all" thing.  Out of there too.  Yuck...

 

You and I have done email before.  ;-)

 

Ah, and so we  have. Back in December, 2004 regarding a certain Mr. Kuller. biggrin.gif

 

se

post #43 of 59
Thread Starter 

I love how this thread has turned into a really obscure inside conversation.

post #44 of 59

Bought this app, have been using it for 3 moths cant say I hear any difference sonic wise. It is 99 cent so it will not bankrupt you however I wish I could say it makes a night and day different. To my ears it make no difference. 

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post

What you said makes perfect sense to me beerchug.gif. Seems like the aim of the App is the elimination of the residual magnetic field of a magnet blink.gif which makes no-sense to me either. 

 

 

I'm not saying the app works, but no. There are ferric components - or at least could be, depending on design details - that can get magnetized which shouldn't be, and this could have an effect on sq by interfering with the deliberate field. And it is possible that an annealing procedure might reduce the effect. 

 

...Which is an awful lot of possible, maybe, and could.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Cardas Clarifier iPhone App