Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P )

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hello head-fi, I've spent some time in this website because I wanted to get a decent IEM and members around here know a lot. After reading reviews and checking out this thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-247-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-superfi-5-pro-superfi-5-eb-added-07-23-12 I came down to 8. I am not very good at recognizing good sound quality and some stuff that I owned before include Klipsch image x10 and a Dr.Dre studio headphone (lol). I did not really like both of them and ended up selling them. My budget is probably around the $200 range (or a little more) and I need your advice on which of these 8 should I go with. I cannot narrow it down because I have very little knowledge on IEMs. I do not really care about the design as long as they are comfortable.

 

My choices are (Not in particular order):

 

HiFiMan RE272

HiFiMan Re262

Etymotic Researach ER-4s

Vsonic GR07

Vsonic GR01

Earsonics SM2 DLX

Sony MDR-EX600

Yamaha EPH-100

 

 

Please let me know if you know a better IEM thanks gs1000.gif


Edited by psWJ - 7/24/12 at 4:55pm
post #2 of 15

Welcome.

 

I say go for the Etys. But go for the P Model, and pick up an P/S Adapter cable. (2 IEMs in 1)

 

Then pair them up with some Comply Foam tips.

 

A match made in heaven.

 

Oh, Oh, I almost forgot the best part... If you tire of the ETYs. You can sell them at a decent price. That ain't gonna happen with the other choices on your list.

 

Cheers, Jim

post #3 of 15
What didn't you like about each IEM you you listed? What genres do you listen to? This will people in making a recommendation.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
I listen to a lot of pop/alternative rock and R&B. I also enjoy instrumental and classical music once in a while. I am also looking to use this for watching videos. Also I did not like the x10s because they were not very durable :/
post #5 of 15

Based on the music you like you will want a neutral sound to something with possibly slightly forward mids. The GR07 will have a nice sound but are neutral in the mids. The mids are detailed and revealing though. The bass has almost no midbass hump but well done sub bass, very pleasing. The treble is bright to the point of being sibilant at first but settles down with use. The new MK2 model is supposed to help fix this sibilance. The ear phone is one of the most comrtable you can get with it's rotating nozzle and it comes with a massive fit kit. Bang for the buck it's one heck of a deal.

 

The EX600 is a V shaped signature meaning is lots of bass and treble but the mids are recessed. The treble is known for being too bright for a lot of people. It also has a large fit kit and is comfortable but it's design is not like by some people (personally I like the design myself) it has issues with win outsside and is not very isolating though. If you want a mellower mid centric oriented model with not as hot a treble you can look at the MDR-7550.

 

I have the Etymotic HF3 and love it's tight (albeit lighter bass) and the treble is very nice as well. The Ety sound is very midrange centric. I believe the ER-4S will share many of the same traits but will be slightly more resolving but may also have a sharper treble and slightly less bass.

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard any of the other IEM's on the list personally.

 

I would say the GR07 will give you the best experience for the most part though unless you want lean bass and forward mids, in which case look at the Ety or the 272. If you really neutral then look at the 272. If you want heavier bass look at the EPH-100. GR01 will give you a midcentric IEM with controlled polite treble and tight controlled bass (the Rockit R50 may have a similar signature as well). I haven't read up on the SM2 much so won't comment.

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Welcome.

 

I say go for the Etys. But go for the P Model, and pick up an P/S Adapter cable. (2 IEMs in 1)

 

Then pair them up with some Comply Foam tips.

 

A match made in heaven.

 

Oh, Oh, I almost forgot the best part... If you tire of the ETYs. You can sell them at a decent price. That ain't gonna happen with the other choices on your list.

 

Cheers, Jim

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

Based on the music you like you will want a neutral sound to something with possibly slightly forward mids. The GR07 will have a nice sound but are neutral in the mids. The mids are detailed and revealing though. The bass has almost no midbass hump but well done sub bass, very pleasing. The treble is bright to the point of being sibilant at first but settles down with use. The new MK2 model is supposed to help fix this sibilance. The ear phone is one of the most comrtable you can get with it's rotating nozzle and it comes with a massive fit kit. Bang for the buck it's one heck of a deal.

 

The EX600 is a V shaped signature meaning is lots of bass and treble but the mids are recessed. The treble is known for being too bright for a lot of people. It also has a large fit kit and is comfortable but it's design is not like by some people (personally I like the design myself) it has issues with win outsside and is not very isolating though. If you want a mellower mid centric oriented model with not as hot a treble you can look at the MDR-7550.

 

I have the Etymotic HF3 and love it's tight (albeit lighter bass) and the treble is very nice as well. The Ety sound is very midrange centric. I believe the ER-4S will share many of the same traits but will be slightly more resolving but may also have a sharper treble and slightly less bass.

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard any of the other IEM's on the list personally.

 

I would say the GR07 will give you the best experience for the most part though unless you want lean bass and forward mids, in which case look at the Ety or the 272. If you really neutral then look at the 272. If you want heavier bass look at the EPH-100. GR01 will give you a midcentric IEM with controlled polite treble and tight controlled bass (the Rockit R50 may have a similar signature as well). I haven't read up on the SM2 much so won't comment.

Wow thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm happy I asked here gs1000.gif

post #7 of 15

My Etymotic ER4B are amazing, especially with an amp. So yeah, that's my vote :]

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

Is this the right one for the etymotic ER's? if not can you guys send me a link to a purchase? :) thanks

 

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER-4PT-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004CXBJ6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343195762&sr=8-1

post #9 of 15
Yes, That's it.

Jim
post #10 of 15

I'd say give the earsonics a shot! Haha I had a lot of fun with them for awhile! Although if youre a rather bass-heavy person then I would recommend the Vsonic GR07!

post #11 of 15

Haven't heard all of them, but the favorite one that I have are the GR07s, a hair ahead of GR01.

post #12 of 15

How about you get both the GR07 and the ER4s! Then we can be IEM brothers!

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

I placed an order for the GR07-mk2  two-day shipping =D . Should I buy anything with it like the FiiO E6 or is it ok? Hopefully I can add ety's to my collection sometime =P. Thanks alot guys for the help.

post #14 of 15

Make sure and update us when you receive them psWJ. I also just ordered a pair of GR07-mk2 off amazon and they should be here tomorrow. Can't wait :]

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by psWJ View Post

I placed an order for the GR07-mk2  two-day shipping =D . Should I buy anything with it like the FiiO E6 or is it ok? Hopefully I can add ety's to my collection sometime =P. Thanks alot guys for the help.

GR07s should be driven fine directly off your DAP..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P )