or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread. - Page 34

post #496 of 522
6n3p has half the transconductance of 6n23p I think.... 5.9 vs 12.7ma/V
It may work, and may sound good, even great, but they are different spec tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldr View Post

The 6N3P/5670/2C51/396A tube has the curves/same specs as a 6DJ8/6922/6N23P but a totally different pinout.  Therefore, the need for the adapter.  Once the adapters are bought, new options are opened for Vali2/Valhalla/Lyr rollers.  Because the 6N3P/5670/2C51/396A tubes are rare in audio design, they are cheap on the open market.  Further there is no Western Electric option in the 6DJ8/6922/6N23P tube pinout family.  The best built tube of all of these are the Western Electric 396A, period.  It is just their relative unavailability and high cost make them unsuitable for production quantities.
post #497 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

6n3p has half the transconductance of 6n23p I think.... 5.9 vs 12.7ma/V
It may work, and may sound good, even great, but they are different spec tubes.


True, 6N23 is a match more for 6DJ8 family, 6N1P is twice the transconductance but also twice the filament current which should be evaluated before Rolling the 6N1Ps into gear designed for 6DJ8 and therefore 6N23's.  Please understand, the Valhalla was designed for the 6N1P.  My assertion is that the 6N3P is, given a different pinout and need for an adapter is compatible with the 6DJ8 etc. family.

post #498 of 522
smily_headphones1.gif agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldr View Post


True, 6N23 is a match more for 6DJ8 family, 6N1P is twice the transconductance but also twice the filament current which should be evaluated before Rolling the 6N1Ps into gear designed for 6DJ8 and therefore 6N23's.  Please understand, the Valhalla was designed for the 6N1P.  My assertion is that the 6N3P is, given a different pinout and need for an adapter is compatible with the 6DJ8 etc. family.
post #499 of 522

I know we've dabbled in the power tubes, but where could I find replacement for the original 6N6P ? Is the E182CC worth buying to get a better sound ? They seem quite hard to find.

post #500 of 522

Has anyone tried some of the newer offerings in the 6922 tubes like JJ's or EH and such ? I have been wanting to try the JJ's in my Valhalla 2 but have been putting it off.....

post #501 of 522

I just rolled my first tubes into my Valhalla 2.  With my NOS tubes (6DJ8) I have to turn the volume knob about 2-3 -o'clock more than the stock tubes to get the same perceived loudness.  Is it normal for different tubes to require different volume settings?

post #502 of 522

so where do I find these adapters, (preferably in canada) to run 2c51/5670/396a tubes ? I

post #503 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelake View Post
 

so where do I find these adapters, (preferably in canada) to run 2c51/5670/396a tubes ? I

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gold-plated-5670-6N3-2C51-TOP-TO-ECC88-6922-6N2-tube-converter-adapter-/191860745369?hash=item2cabcaa499:g:3pgAAOSwKfVXJciG

post #504 of 522
Thread not dead yet.....new blood here!

Should get a Valhalla2 in a weeks time to go with my HD800S and if possible with some LCD2.

Had the V1 for a short time and liked it a lot, so I just hope that V2 is on the same level or even better.

Tubes for rolling due as well....

Just from memory, I did like the V1 more with theHD800 when compared to the WA6 or Crack with Speedball.
post #505 of 522

I just received my Valhalla 2 and enjoying it greatly with the stock tubes and my Beyer DT880s.  After some 'getting to know you time', I am looking forward to trying some tube rolling based on the recommendations previously in this thread and the Lyr thread.

post #506 of 522

Received these yesterday to pair with a pair of Grey Shield 75 Rockets. Though i'm still burning them in they, and I find the 6N6P tubes to only supply subtle changes, they sound terrific. I enjoy the warm sound most Russian tubes seem to bring, with a slight bump in the bass, but these seem to bring a touch more control and refinement to the lower end than other tubes from the same factory and era I have tried. Great buy if you can snag them.

 

Current and standing tube inventory

 

70's Novosibirsk 6N1P's x4 - Lush, warm, with a mid/sub bass bump sacrificing a touch of detail and treble

75 Rocket Grey Shields 6N1P's x2 Great all rounder. not as warm Novosibirsk but better detail through out

71 Rockets 6N1P's x2 Cleaner, less "tubey" than the Novosibirsk. Better treble and detail at the sacrifice of some bass

Amperes Orange Globe Holland x2 Still a warm tube, but brighter and cleaner than the Rockets. Excellent balance through out with a touch less bass

 

70's Novosibirsk 6N6P's x4 warm with a noticeable bass bump over stock. SOME bleeding into the mids

80's Novosibirsk 6N6P's x2 same as above but I find the 70's Russian tubes to do it better

78 Novosibirsk Gold Pin 6N6P's x4 Not as much lift in the low end but a cleaner representation. 

 

Didn't give the stock tubes a truly fair shake, but found them to be far too bright for my liking. All of the above have been a welcome addition. I don't do a ton of rolling, some times months go by before I get the itch to change things up, but most bring a nice change when I do.


Edited by notfitforpublic - 5/28/16 at 1:55pm
post #507 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfitforpublic View Post
 

Received these yesterday to pair with a pair of Grey Shield 75 Rockets. Though i'm still burning them in they, and I find the 6N6P tubes to only supply subtle changes, they sound terrific. I enjoy the warm sound most Russian tubes seem to bring, with a slight bump in the bass, but these seem to bring a touch more control and refinement to the lower end than other tubes from the same factory and era I have tried. Great buy if you can snag them.

 

Current and standing tube inventory

 

70's Novosibirsk 6N1P's x4 - Lush, warm, with a mid/sub bass bump sacrificing a touch of detail and treble

75 Rocket Grey Shields 6N1P's x2 Great all rounder. not as warm Novosibirsk but better detail through out

71 Rockets 6N1P's x2 Cleaner, less "tubey" than the Novosibirsk. Better treble and detail at the sacrifice of some bass

Amperes Orange Globe Holland x2 Still a warm tube, but brighter and cleaner than the Rockets. Excellent balance through out with a touch less bass

 

70's Novosibirsk 6N6P's x4 warm with a noticeable bass bump over stock. SOME bleeding into the mids

80's Novosibirsk 6N6P's x2 same as above but I find the 70's Russian tubes to do it better

78 Novosibirsk Gold Pin 6N6P's x4 Not as much lift in the low end but a cleaner representation. 

 

Didn't give the stock tubes a truly fair shake, but found them to be far too bright for my liking. All of the above have been a welcome addition. I don't do a ton of rolling, some times months go by before I get the itch to change things up, but most bring a nice change when I do.


Reading your tube inventory, it seems like the 75 Rocket Rey Shields or the Amperes Orange Globe Holland would work great for me. Just 2 questions, out of the two of them, which do you believe to fatigue you less (my Valhalla 2 on stock fatigues me way to fast in comparation to the magni 2)? Is it recommended to put x4 or x2 (the size vary, don't know a lot about tubes)?

 

Thanks.

post #508 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothmanex View Post
 


Reading your tube inventory, it seems like the 75 Rocket Rey Shields or the Amperes Orange Globe Holland would work great for me. Just 2 questions, out of the two of them, which do you believe to fatigue you less (my Valhalla 2 on stock fatigues me way to fast in comparation to the magni 2)? Is it recommended to put x4 or x2 (the size vary, don't know a lot about tubes)?

 

Thanks.


Found the Rockets to be a tad less fatiguing but not by much I'd say. I'd go looking for both and grab whatever ones cheaper for you, though I think I paid around the same for both. The taller tubes in your Valhalla are the 6N6P variants of tubes (output). These make less of a difference when rolling tubes with the Valhalla 2. That being said, swapping them out for some Russian Novosibirsk plant tubes from the 70's made a big enough difference in low end for me not to regret the purchase, and I do recommend if you find the Valhalla a little thin. The smaller tubes in front are the 6N1P variants (input). These tend to make the most noticeable difference in sound when rolling tubes, and where you would want to put the Rocket or Amperex Orange Globes. So to swap out the tubes entirely your looking at 2 6N6P's (or similar variant) for the tall tubes in back (Output) and 2 6N1P tubes (or similar variant) for the front input stage.

 

​Check http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2 for more specifics on what tubes go where. 

post #509 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfitforpublic View Post
 


Found the Rockets to be a tad less fatiguing but not by much I'd say. I'd go looking for both and grab whatever ones cheaper for you, though I think I paid around the same for both. The taller tubes in your Valhalla are the 6N6P variants of tubes (output). These make less of a difference when rolling tubes with the Valhalla 2. That being said, swapping them out for some Russian Novosibirsk plant tubes from the 70's made a big enough difference in low end for me not to regret the purchase, and I do recommend if you find the Valhalla a little thin. The smaller tubes in front are the 6N1P variants (input). These tend to make the most noticeable difference in sound when rolling tubes, and where you would want to put the Rocket or Amperex Orange Globes. So to swap out the tubes entirely your looking at 2 6N6P's (or similar variant) for the tall tubes in back (Output) and 2 6N1P tubes (or similar variant) for the front input stage.

 

​Check http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2 for more specifics on what tubes go where. 


Thank you for the reply. I will buy 3 pairs of tube for testing, rockets and orange globes you have and will see if I can find some Bugle boys. I will search also for some output ones, to see if they make a big difference.

post #510 of 522

I just rolled in my first set of tubes after having listened to the stock tubes in the Valhalla 2 for the past month.  I used a pair of Amperex Orange Made in Holland ECC88s.  I wasn't sure if I would notice a difference or not, but they definitely sounded different. The high end was brighter and splashier, and the bass warmer and I would say, muddier though not displeasing to listen to. I have the feeling these tubes may be more fatiguing to listen to for long periods than the stock tubes but time will tell. Do most members audition tubes with pieces of music they are familiar with?  That's what I did, however I still had to rely on memory as to how the stock tubes sounded on the same pieces. I'll give these a month of listening and then perhaps try something else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.