or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R - Page 6

Poll Results: New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R

 
  • 31% (60)
    Shure SE535
  • 68% (133)
    Westone 4R
193 Total Votes  
post #76 of 157

No.

 

what you are explaining is Shrilly Highs that are piercing to the ears, or sibilants where the S is Sharp.

 

imagine a wall and a ceiling, and as the highs are produced imagine them going up the wall.

 

now iems with no roll off highs will go all the way up the wall to the ceiling.

 

now iems with roll off highs will go up the wall to a point and drop off. Roll off.

 

another good way to explain it is with cymbals, when a cymbal crashes with no roll off you will hear the cymbals crash and hear them all the way till they fade out. where as a cymbol crash with highs that roll off you wont hear them fade out in the high frequencies.

 

the shure se535 bronze and clear have roll off this isnt ideal becuase it cuts the highs short and you can miss a great ammount of detail with the highs depending on where the highs are rolling off..

 

now the se535-ltd-j resolve the roll off. when i got them to use my analogy the highs went straight up the way to the ceiling where i noticed that the bronze fell short, the reds surpassed them

post #77 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

There are many opinions on this.  I don't believe they burn-in.  If they do, i've heard absolutely no difference in mine over the time I've "burnt them in".  I think we really do have "brain" burn-in where we get used to something.  Our minds are quick to judge things, but as you get used to them your opinion changes sometimes.

 

 

This is also a common discussion.  Unfortunately, there are no universal IEMs that are truly flat, which in my opinion (and the opinion of many others) is the best quality you can get.  It is the "only" way to hear the music exactly how it was "meant" to be heard by the recording artists.  It allows you to hear what they heard when they mixed it in the studio.

 

Agreed, I think there is now plenty of commentary that supports the view that BA IEMs do not burn in. In fact the very nature of the drivers design unlike dynamic drivers, would suggest burn in will not happen. But we all become accustomed to the sounds of our HPs in time. One of the reasons my preferred ear and head phones tend to have similar sound signatures is that if they were too different they would be unsatisfying to listen to.

 

On the second point, again I totally agree. In fact I think it's on Golden Ears web site, the company that tests many headphones and source devices and authors of Accudio Pro, that they say IEMs need to have an elevated bass simply to emulate full size HPs because of the limitation their size places on bass reproduction. While I am no bass-head, I must agree that some bass boost is needed to sound natural in an IEM.

 

Both the 535s and W4R have nicely balanced bass to my ears, but differ in most other aspects. I will retain both because I like both in different applications.

post #78 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

I could not agree more. I tried the W4, SE 535 and the 535 Special editions. The W4 was veiled and boring. The 535 Special Edition solves the treble roll off and retains the beauty of the 535. But let's all agree the W4 owners will defend their product just as the Shure owners will so it is just my opinion. 

I've owned the SE535s twice now and really enjoyed them. But I've sold them both off, while the W4s stay right here. smile.gif

post #79 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I've owned the SE535s twice now and really enjoyed them. But I've sold them both off, while the W4s stay right here. smile.gif

Question is did you ever try the SE 535 Special Editions?  I sold my W4r and could not be happier. Different strokes for different folks. 

post #80 of 157

I intended (but forgot) to call a Shure representative today and ask if there is a difference between the Special Edition (Asian division—specially tuned 535) and the Limited Edition Red (U.S. version). Maybe it has already been discussed somewhere on this forum.

post #81 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

I intended (but forgot) to call a Shure representative today and ask if there is a difference between the Special Edition (Asian division—specially tuned 535) and the Limited Edition Red (U.S. version). Maybe it has already been discussed somewhere on this forum.

Unfortunately there is a difference.  The limited editions are just a new red housing for the standard SE 535 sold mainly at airports in the US. The only way to get the Special Editions is to travel to Asia or buy them from Ebay. 

post #82 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Unfortunately there is a difference.  The limited editions are just a new red housing for the standard SE 535 sold mainly at airports in the US. The only way to get the Special Editions is to travel to Asia or buy them from Ebay. 


Thank you. That certainly matches my experience with listening to the Limited Edition 535 at InMotion. The only difference I noticed was the Red had a nicer cable than my Standard Edition 535. The sound was the same.

post #83 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Question is did you ever try the SE 535 Special Editions?  I sold my W4r and could not be happier. Different strokes for different folks. 

I did actually...slightly more treble and red (which I did not like being 40...the colour that is). smile.gif

post #84 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I did actually...slightly more treble and red (which I did not like being 40...the colour that is). smile.gif

Fair enough. I am 46 and I love the candy red color. Again, choosing between the W4 and the 535 SE is like choosing between a Macallan and a Glanmorangie single malts. It comes down to person taste. 

post #85 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Fair enough. I am 46 and I love the candy red color. Again, choosing between the W4 and the 535 SE is like choosing between a Macallan and a Glanmorangie single malts. It comes down to person taste. 

Agreed. To my ears, these were my 2 favourite IEMs. Kudos for not being such a middle-age fuddy-duddy as I am). smile.gif

post #86 of 157

Hey guys, I found out that apple site has this burn-in tool, but it was produced by Moshi Audio, a low end IEM. I was wondering if it can apply to all IEMs beside Moshi audio earbuds.

 

https://itunes.apple.com/app/burn-in-tool/id556809463

post #87 of 157

hmm that is a cool tool for burn in. i imagine that it uses frequency sweeps in a loop. not sure what the differences in sweeps would be between the headphones models through. i dont really see how you couldnt use this for any iem, i just would start out at a moderately low volume and see what the sweeps are like, if thats what they are doing

post #88 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

hmm that is a cool tool for burn in. i imagine that it uses frequency sweeps in a loop. not sure what the differences in sweeps would be between the headphones models through. i dont really see how you couldnt use this for any iem, i just would start out at a moderately low volume and see what the sweeps are like, if thats what they are doing


Beside SE535 LTD, what other IEM brands have fixed the roll off? 

post #89 of 157

Shure will excel in the mid-range and be pretty much unbeatable for acoustic music and female vocals. W4R will resolve more complex pieces better due mostly to the crossover config and the four drivers. Construction of the Shure earpieces are quite more solid. Comfort between these two is going to be very personal as I found out from many of our customers.

post #90 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio T View Post

Shure will excel in the mid-range and be pretty much unbeatable for acoustic music and female vocals. W4R will resolve more complex pieces better due mostly to the crossover config and the four drivers. Construction of the Shure earpieces are quite more solid. Comfort between these two is going to be very personal as I found out from many of our customers.

 

I agree.  The 4r has incredible smoothness between drivers for an overall very relaxing smooth sound that doesn't lack any areas of detail across the spectrum, but they have a sort of soft sound like everything is under a pillow. I'd say the treble is better than the shure, but ironically the shure end up sounding more vibrant and interesting overall.  The 4r wins if you use eq though, as they can achieve practically perfect flatness, whereas no matter how much eq you use, you can't fully recover the lost treble with the shures quality-wise".

 

The comfort is probably similar unless your ears are small, then i wouldn't recommend the shure as they are big enough to hurt the lobe of a small ear.  The westones don't.  Similar shape and fit otherwise in my opinion.  The 4r are lighter as well though if that matters.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R