or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R - Page 5

Poll Results: New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R

 
  • 31% (60)
    Shure SE535
  • 68% (133)
    Westone 4R
193 Total Votes  
post #61 of 157
Ok ya that's what I thought I means thank you..I have a pair of etymotic er4p..maybe I'm wrong but I don't find the highs to be rolled of..like I said I could be wrong..that's how my ears hear them..I prefer them to my 535s..they sound more balanced to me..people say they lack in the low end..once I got use to them I found they sound great from the lows to the highs..again thank you..
post #62 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

Ok ya that's what I thought I means thank you..I have a pair of etymotic er4p..maybe I'm wrong but I don't find the highs to be rolled of..like I said I could be wrong..that's how my ears hear them..I prefer them to my 535s..they sound more balanced to me..people say they lack in the low end..once I got use to them I found they sound great from the lows to the highs..again thank you..

 

The er-4p are in fact a little rolled off, but much less than the 535.  Keep in mind that doesn't mean "missing" highs, they're just not as loud in the mix of frequencies, so they sound "masked" or harder to hear and thus softer and more muffled.  The er4s is a much more "accurate" earphone.  I would HIGHLY recommend getting the adapter to make your er4p the er4s.  It converts them perfectly.  It's $49 I think, but the er4p will become incredibly accurate.  The er4s is my main earphone right now.  I'm not sure i'll ever use anything else unless they make a version with a very slight bass boost.  But I use the c5 amp from jds labs with a bass boost that is almost perfect.  Even without the boost I prefer the er4s over everything i've heard so far including the westone 4r, which is very good.

 

Definitely check out the adapter.  However, it will make the earphones quieter.  If you don't have an amp this "might" not matter, as I can easily power them with my ipod touch.  However, the amp helps keep the volume loud enough on quiet songs and clean.

post #63 of 157
Yes IM meaning to get the adapter I just haven't got around to it yet lol and like you I love them..I have a cheap e11.amp and its not too bad with them but I want something better ..IM not getting them to there full potential with that amp..I use hf2 with just my iPod classic and its almost as good as the er4 ..actually the hf2 has a little more punch to it..I love them too ..but IM going,to,defently look into a better amp..maybe a amp /dac..
post #64 of 157
I use the hf-3 without an amp, and they are very good for the price. With an amp, I use the ER4s. Its a great combo if you're into deal and accuracy
post #65 of 157
Yes for almost half the price you can't beat them..
post #66 of 157
Yeah er4s and the c5 with bass boost is almost perfect accuracy
post #67 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Yeah er4s and the c5 with bass boost is almost perfect accuracy

Maybe, but surely the desirable situation is to not need a specific amp and any EQ?

 

I feel I have the best of most worlds... The W4r AND SE535 reds. For me the W4r with my DX100 is a perfect match. The 535s are too bright with the DX. But with my iPhone 5 or Sony Z, they shine and are fun to listen to. 

 

So I guess that highlights the whole question when it comes to what's best questions... What's the source, what's the music and importantly, what do you like in terms of bass, mids and treble. 

 

Because we all have different hearing as well as tastes, I think the only answer is to get to listen to as many quality earphones as you can, decide what you like in sound, then read reviews and comparisons to narrow down the options. I've been through a number of IEMs and headphones and only recently settled on my utopia. It's been costly but worth the journey to find sound (near) perfection. 

post #68 of 157
Some where along my iem journey I've started listening to all the details in my music and stopped listening to just the music and enjoying it..not really sure if this is a good thing..lol..I Hope that makes sence..lol its like where you stop stomping your feet to the and listen to all the detail..don't get me wrong I do like that or I wouldn't have bought the er4..I'm just not sure that the artists intended on making there music for that reason..
post #69 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

IM sorry this may sound dumb ..IM not to old at this high end earphones sorta thing...when you say that the highs are...rolled off...what actually does that mean?..I think I know and I can hear it..but if someone could explain this it would be much appreciated....thank you :-)


A roll-off is when the treble went unexpectedly high that it goes off with a shrilling sound, very unsettling to the ears. I guess it's like listening to a singer that's unable to take care of his or her high note, that it goes out of tune! If I had to put it that way. With the 535s, I rarely encounter such problem after a hefty burn-in time (100hrs or more). The roll-offs become smooth, unnoticed, disappeared in the music.

post #70 of 157
I found that my 535s have gone last that point..I think they now sound smooth and sound very good..I'm not sure if that's from me getting use to the sound or what..I'm not sure they break in..or burn in like they say..ba's don't burn in I don't think..but I think we just get use to the sound....can you guys give me your option on this..thank you..
post #71 of 157
Is like my er4s.when I first got them I could hardly hear any low end/baas..but now I find they have lots..am I just just getting use to them or do they actually burn in?
post #72 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfki View Post


A roll-off is when the treble went unexpectedly high that it goes off with a shrilling sound, very unsettling to the ears. I guess it's like listening to a singer that's unable to take care of his or her high note, that it goes out of tune! If I had to put it that way. With the 535s, I rarely encounter such problem after a hefty burn-in time (100hrs or more). The roll-offs become smooth, unnoticed, disappeared in the music.

 

A rolloff is simply a smooth drop in treble frequencies as you get higher in the range.  That's all.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

Is like my er4s.when I first got them I could hardly hear any low end/baas..but now I find they have lots..am I just just getting use to them or do they actually burn in?
 

There are many opinions on this.  I don't believe they burn-in.  If they do, i've heard absolutely no difference in mine over the time I've "burnt them in".  I think we really do have "brain" burn-in where we get used to something.  Our minds are quick to judge things, but as you get used to them your opinion changes sometimes.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

Maybe, but surely the desirable situation is to not need a specific amp and any EQ?

 

I feel I have the best of most worlds... The W4r AND SE535 reds. For me the W4r with my DX100 is a perfect match. The 535s are too bright with the DX. But with my iPhone 5 or Sony Z, they shine and are fun to listen to. 

 

So I guess that highlights the whole question when it comes to what's best questions... What's the source, what's the music and importantly, what do you like in terms of bass, mids and treble. 

 

 

This is also a common discussion.  Unfortunately, there are no universal IEMs that are truly flat, which in my opinion (and the opinion of many others) is the best quality you can get.  It is the "only" way to hear the music exactly how it was "meant" to be heard by the recording artists.  It allows you to hear what they heard when they mixed it in the studio.

 

With that said, I've searched a long time, tried bagillions of IEMs, and I still haven't found a truly flat IEM.  The closest thing out there in my opinion is the ER-4S.  It is almost perfectly flat except for the slight drop in bass.  Every other IEM is much further from flat.  The 4r and 535 are high quality IEMs,  but they aren't near as flat as the ER-4S.

 

The 4r has mid to low bass boost which masks the frequencies in the upper detail range.  Just lower the 100-300 hz range with a parametric eq a bit and you'll immediately hear this.  It also has an uneven treble range.  Overall, they sound very very smooth between frequency ranges, but once you lower the bass boost area and flatten the treble spike area things sound very good.  Try downloading accudio and applying the 4r "flat" setting.  It does exactly this, but with very good precision.  Don't compare the differences at first.  Just listen to it for a day or two.  Then switch back.  You'll hear what I mean.

 

The 535 has the treble rolloff.  Everything in the high highs is completely masked.  For some with hearing loss at those ranges it might not be noticeable, but for good ears if you compare a flat response to the 535 you'll see it is very lacking in the highs.  The special version might be much closer...

 

The ER-4S is almost perfectly flat in every way except the very slight bass boost.  So...  An amp with a bass boost in just the right amount give your a perfectly flat IEM.  Done.  There is no other easy way to get this result without EQ.  However, EQ is a bad solution if you use your IEM on more than one device.  I use mine on multiple devices (ipod, computer to mix music, movie system, etc.).  The amp solution allows every single source to sound identical.  Without it I would have to manually try to match the EQ on every device, but that doesn't even matter, because the impedance of the headphone outputs varies between devices and changes the earphones frequency response.  The amp fixes that as well.

 

Basically the amp fixes everything and does nothing bad.  It's small, light and portable.  I believe this is the best solution out there.  If you only listen to the IEM on one portable device and you don't need an amp, then EQ might work fine.  Or even accudio.  Just my thoughts, but finding a perfectly flat IEM is practically impossible, yet the ER-4S comes sooooo close.  So if the goal is to not use any amp or eq then you can just forget having a flat response.  But that's not good enough for me. :-P

 

 

Quote:

Because we all have different hearing as well as tastes, I think the only answer is to get to listen to as many quality earphones as you can, decide what you like in sound, then read reviews and comparisons to narrow down the options. I've been through a number of IEMs and headphones and only recently settled on my utopia. It's been costly but worth the journey to find sound (near) perfection. 

 

I agree.  Everyone might not want a flat response.  Some people prefer more bass, etc.  What I've said applies mostly to people who want a true "accurate" flat response.  There's nothing wrong with want some color to your sound.  That is a personal choice.  I say listen to as many as you can and settle on the one that sounds best to you.


Edited by luisdent - 3/10/13 at 10:43am
post #73 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

My .2 cents is SE535 is fun and the W4 is boring. I used the 535s for about 2 years, gave them to my wife, bought W4s and they went back after a few hours.

I could not agree more. I tried the W4, SE 535 and the 535 Special editions. The W4 was veiled and boring. The 535 Special Edition solves the treble roll off and retains the beauty of the 535. But let's all agree the W4 owners will defend their product just as the Shure owners will so it is just my opinion. 

post #74 of 157
Hey real quick while we're close to the subject, which is superior? Westone w2 or Shure se315?
post #75 of 157

Can someone explain to me in detail what a roll-off sounds like? I always thought it means the shrieking sound that's so sharp and high, it kinda hurt your ears. 

 

SE535s resolve it by smoothening the highs or by enforcing it to not go any higher.


Edited by kfki - 3/11/13 at 2:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R