It means they are listening to boring music. I take it as it doesn't color the sound or add any unrealistic frequencies to the music like other phones do. A lot of the time people are expecting more midrange or treble, because the brain equates that to clarity. The 4Rs reproduce the sounds they are given with maybe a little more bass.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeo Phonak PFE112 Revision II Earphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/23/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/23/12
- productPhonak Audéo PFE 232tagged by System, 7/23/12
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 7/23/12
- productShure SE535LTD REDtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 7/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- QUICK: SE535, Westone UM3X, or Westone 4Rs? Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Make Any HeadRoom Purchase until Dec.20, Get Entered for FREE Shure SE535!! Last post on 12/5/12 at 2:59pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Westone 4r vs Shure SE535 ( L.E. RED ) VS Regular Shure 535 REQ:( best Punchy bass ) Last post on 11/28/12 at 5:28pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4R vs Shure se535? Noob HELP! Last post on 9/14/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/1/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R - Page 9
Poll Results: New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
180 Total Votes
30% (55)Shure SE535
69% (125)Westone 4R
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 1578/24/13 at 12:05pmQuote:Yeah, the bass/mid bass is what makes them sound darker or warmer. Eq this down and you're talking pretty balanced sound. Without eq they are balanced but on the warm side.Originally Posted by meat01
It means they are listening to boring music:etysmile: . I take it as it doesn't color the sound or add any unrealistic frequencies to the music like other phones do. A lot of the time people are expecting more midrange or treble, because the brain equates that to clarity. The 4Rs reproduce the sounds they are given with maybe a little more bass.post #123 of 1578/24/13 at 5:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by meat01
It means they are listening to boring music:etysmile: . I take it as it doesn't color the sound or add any unrealistic frequencies to the music like other phones do. A lot of the time people are expecting more midrange or treble, because the brain equates that to clarity. The 4Rs reproduce the sounds they are given with maybe a little more bass.
Just my 2c but I found the 4r very colored, lacking mids and much too warm. They also seemed too polite, lacking attack. They improved a lot with 100ohm resistance and some eq imo.post #124 of 1578/24/13 at 5:51pmQuote:Yeah the warm mid bass boost does that to the attack, which is sort of what i meant by soft treble. Eq can makea huge difference with these as they are very capable though. Check out my article on eq'ing them for a very flat response... http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html?m=1post #125 of 1579/16/13 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by luisdent
Yeah the warm mid bass boost does that to the attack, which is sort of what i meant by soft treble. Eq can makea huge difference with these as they are very capable though. Check out my article on eq'ing them for a very flat response... http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html?m=1
THanks for sharing the EQ settings Luis.post #126 of 1579/21/13 at 4:37pm
It always puzzled me why they tuned it the way they did. It's a quad driver....give it some balls!!! (same comment to UE900)
Less mid bass and more lower bass would instantly make it less warm with more clarity (like W2). Then crispen up the treble more.post #127 of 1579/22/13 at 5:13amQuote:
I think at the time they were trying to distant it from the 3 that had just been released. They probably figured that they didn't need TWO bass heavy phones in the line up so distanced the 4 from the 3 in the way that they did.post #128 of 1579/22/13 at 12:33pmQuote:
I wish they'd use the multi drivers to make an extremely flat response. Something like the er4s, but they could improve the bass response with the additional drivers perhaps? I know there's a lot more to it than that, but I don't believe for a second they can't figure out a way to make a studio monitor quality earphone like the er4s with more low bass. It just hasn't been figured out yet. Or no one wants to for some reason.post #129 of 1579/22/13 at 12:41pmpost #130 of 1579/22/13 at 1:00pmpost #131 of 1579/26/13 at 2:42pm
Holy poop batman. If you're on the fence on these two iems, here's your answer:post #132 of 15710/10/13 at 3:00pmpost #133 of 15710/10/13 at 3:30pmQuote:
Neither. ;) haha. i wouldn't call either of them especially fast. If I had to pick though, I'd say the 4r, especially with a 100ohm or more adapter is faster and better separated for sure. Stock they are a bit hard to compare. The 535 has a more balanced sound in the lows, but lack the treble extension of the 4r. So the treble gives the sense of better separation while the balanced lows of the shure do as well. I think overall the 4r is still probably a bit better in that regard though. If you don't mind a bit of EQ, the 4r can sound REALLY good. The 535 lack the real treble extension to sound as easily "reference" up top.post #134 of 15710/10/13 at 4:06pmQuote:
the se535 is very mid forward, and it doesnt come anywhere near the W4r's instrument separation. also the se535 dont have a wide soundstage. its not um3x small but its not w4r wide either, kinda in the mid.
i found the w4r to be very fast, and have good attack and decay, but that really depends on the aspect of decay, as far as bass decay, or vocal decay. now i will say this, i dont use any dap or any music player straight up...so my perception needs to be taken into account the usages of algorhythm solos,ibasso db 2 dacs and ibasso pb2 and RSA SR-71B Amp... so amp and dac are going to play a role on fastness and attack and decay..... just something to take into considerationReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- ONLY 2 DAYS AWAY!!! 25 seconds ago
- › iBasso D55 DAC/Amp...anyone used it? 1 minute ago
- › High end camera adaptor cable for iPhone or ipad 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2