It means they are listening to boring music. I take it as it doesn't color the sound or add any unrealistic frequencies to the music like other phones do. A lot of the time people are expecting more midrange or treble, because the brain equates that to clarity. The 4Rs reproduce the sounds they are given with maybe a little more bass.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeo Phonak PFE112 Revision II Earphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/23/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/23/12
- productPhonak Audéo PFE 232tagged by System, 7/23/12
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 7/23/12
- productShure SE535LTD REDtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 7/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- QUICK: SE535, Westone UM3X, or Westone 4Rs? Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Make Any HeadRoom Purchase until Dec.20, Get Entered for FREE Shure SE535!! Last post on 12/5/12 at 2:59pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Westone 4r vs Shure SE535 ( L.E. RED ) VS Regular Shure 535 REQ:( best Punchy bass ) Last post on 11/28/12 at 5:28pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4R vs Shure se535? Noob HELP! Last post on 9/14/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
This is my second actual IEM purchase, and I have to say, I'm very surprised. These have a more enjoyable and pleasurable listening experience compared to the Shure SE425, which sounded dry and...
My priority when i am buying a audio gear is value for money and Fidue A73 comes in the insane value category,although it is still early to tell if it's the best inear at the price because i...
okay i am putting up this review after a lot of usage with these so called"garbage bin miracles". 1.packaging-simple,nothing wonderous here,and custom accesories 2.cable-seriously a let down but...
New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R - Page 9
Poll Results: New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
184 Total Votes
30% (57)Shure SE535
69% (127)Westone 4R
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 1578/24/13 at 12:05pmQuote:Yeah, the bass/mid bass is what makes them sound darker or warmer. Eq this down and you're talking pretty balanced sound. Without eq they are balanced but on the warm side.Originally Posted by meat01
It means they are listening to boring music:etysmile: . I take it as it doesn't color the sound or add any unrealistic frequencies to the music like other phones do. A lot of the time people are expecting more midrange or treble, because the brain equates that to clarity. The 4Rs reproduce the sounds they are given with maybe a little more bass.post #123 of 1578/24/13 at 5:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by meat01
It means they are listening to boring music:etysmile: . I take it as it doesn't color the sound or add any unrealistic frequencies to the music like other phones do. A lot of the time people are expecting more midrange or treble, because the brain equates that to clarity. The 4Rs reproduce the sounds they are given with maybe a little more bass.
Just my 2c but I found the 4r very colored, lacking mids and much too warm. They also seemed too polite, lacking attack. They improved a lot with 100ohm resistance and some eq imo.post #124 of 1578/24/13 at 5:51pmQuote:Yeah the warm mid bass boost does that to the attack, which is sort of what i meant by soft treble. Eq can makea huge difference with these as they are very capable though. Check out my article on eq'ing them for a very flat response... http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html?m=1post #125 of 1579/16/13 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by luisdent
Yeah the warm mid bass boost does that to the attack, which is sort of what i meant by soft treble. Eq can makea huge difference with these as they are very capable though. Check out my article on eq'ing them for a very flat response... http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html?m=1
THanks for sharing the EQ settings Luis.post #126 of 1579/21/13 at 4:37pm
It always puzzled me why they tuned it the way they did. It's a quad driver....give it some balls!!! (same comment to UE900)
Less mid bass and more lower bass would instantly make it less warm with more clarity (like W2). Then crispen up the treble more.post #127 of 1579/22/13 at 5:13amQuote:
I think at the time they were trying to distant it from the 3 that had just been released. They probably figured that they didn't need TWO bass heavy phones in the line up so distanced the 4 from the 3 in the way that they did.post #128 of 1579/22/13 at 12:33pmQuote:
I wish they'd use the multi drivers to make an extremely flat response. Something like the er4s, but they could improve the bass response with the additional drivers perhaps? I know there's a lot more to it than that, but I don't believe for a second they can't figure out a way to make a studio monitor quality earphone like the er4s with more low bass. It just hasn't been figured out yet. Or no one wants to for some reason.post #129 of 1579/22/13 at 12:41pmpost #130 of 1579/22/13 at 1:00pmpost #131 of 1579/26/13 at 2:42pm
Holy poop batman. If you're on the fence on these two iems, here's your answer:post #132 of 15710/10/13 at 3:00pmpost #133 of 15710/10/13 at 3:30pmQuote:
Neither. ;) haha. i wouldn't call either of them especially fast. If I had to pick though, I'd say the 4r, especially with a 100ohm or more adapter is faster and better separated for sure. Stock they are a bit hard to compare. The 535 has a more balanced sound in the lows, but lack the treble extension of the 4r. So the treble gives the sense of better separation while the balanced lows of the shure do as well. I think overall the 4r is still probably a bit better in that regard though. If you don't mind a bit of EQ, the 4r can sound REALLY good. The 535 lack the real treble extension to sound as easily "reference" up top.post #134 of 15710/10/13 at 4:06pmQuote:
the se535 is very mid forward, and it doesnt come anywhere near the W4r's instrument separation. also the se535 dont have a wide soundstage. its not um3x small but its not w4r wide either, kinda in the mid.
i found the w4r to be very fast, and have good attack and decay, but that really depends on the aspect of decay, as far as bass decay, or vocal decay. now i will say this, i dont use any dap or any music player straight up...so my perception needs to be taken into account the usages of algorhythm solos,ibasso db 2 dacs and ibasso pb2 and RSA SR-71B Amp... so amp and dac are going to play a role on fastness and attack and decay..... just something to take into considerationReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Need Help Picking a DAP and which software to use to mange it and... 6 seconds ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 8 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 21 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 27 seconds ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › Aune T1 (First Generation) 2 minutes ago
- › Vinyl vs Redbook in 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Headphone impedance and Sound card impedance? 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by Sentinei
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by acain
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by dancho
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by HUM24H
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3