Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money? - Page 2

post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMushroom View Post

Hold on now.  I'd hardly consider this a waste of money.  There are tons of members here who can vouch on the 598 sounding better.  It might a bit of a dubious upgrade when you already have the 595, but if you are new to the market I strongly urge you to take a hard look at the 598.  There are people who hear it, and some who don't.  If you want to take the risk you can try the mod for the 558, but last I heard the drivers between the 5x5 and the 5x8 are not the same.  As an owner of a 598 I think the OP would be very pleased with these headphones especially considering the music genres he listed.  


But zombie-x says he has taken 598 apart and they use the exact same part number for the driver. So WTF???

post #17 of 82

There's so much more to a headphone than drivers. Enclosure, grills, pads, etc.

The HD580 is almost the same as the HD600 once you replace it's grill. Similarly, a properly damped ortho will destroy one of the same model without damping.

post #18 of 82

Hi,

 

Yes they do. I had ordered replacement parts for a HD598 and it had the same driver as the HD595. Granted the enclosure might make them sound different but to me they sound the same.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonen View Post


But zombie-x says he has taken 598 apart and they use the exact same part number for the driver. So WTF???

post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK277 View Post

This is the first I've heard the 595 even coming close to the 598, which, apart from the HD800, supposedly has the biggest soundstage within several price tiers.

The angled drivers of the 598 and 800 makes their soundstage top notch among headphones of ANY price range. Not only soundstage, but their imaging. The HD 595's flaws stem from the fact that it almost sounds like a closed headphone despite its open back design. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonen View Post

I won't be buying 598 then when I already have 595, thx for saving me from wasting money on a side-grade.

Read below 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

First I've heard that the HD595 sounds just like the HD598.

 

The HD558 and HD598 do use the same driver, but they have different grills and the HD558 grills are 1/3 cover with a black rubber tape on the inside.

 

That grill makes all the difference. Read the very top review posted on amazon product page of the HD 598. The bass is the difference between the HD 558 and HD 598. There is also a review on Headfonia comparing the two, which I agree with. I'm in a hurry so I can't elaborate at the moment. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

I still don't hear a difference between the HD595 and HD598. If there is a difference then it's very minimal. I repaired a HD598 in the past and it uses the same drivers as the HD595, heck it was the same part number. Personally I'd just save the extra $100 and put it toward a nice little amp for them. Another thing is that a used HD580 is about $150, so yeah... 

 

I LOL'ed at someone saying the KSC75 sound better than the HD595. The HD595 is a massive leap from the KSC75. Maybe he is a KSC75 fan boy...

 

As someone who has directly compared the HD 595 and 598, you are completely off here. I quote my friend (who owns the HD 595) : "damn I don't mind the fact that your HD 598 has a much better soundstage but the bass.. the bass mang..." 

 

To add to this, the HD 598 has a more refined sound (more accurate timbre), slightly more clarity, and more "speed" (owing to the slightly bright presentation). Its midrange is superb as well. MIdrange and soundstage are without a doubt, the strongest keypoints of the 598. 

post #20 of 82

Hi,

 

Well I just don't hear the differences at all. Not meaning to start anything but the HD595 has always had ample bass and midrange to my ears. They also always sounded very open. I can't see how you would say they sound closed and lack the right timbre/midrange, but my old pair sounded excellent. It's possible they may have tweaked the drivers but from what I've heard there is no audible difference between the HD595 and HD598. 

 

The newer HD558 does sound different than it's older HD555 brother. The HD558 seems brighter with a bit more bass control. The soundstage and midrange are about the same to me. I would recommend the HD558 over the HD555, but there's a big price difference and it's not worth it to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleTurtle View Post

As someone who has directly compared the HD 595 and 598, you are completely off here. I quote my friend (who owns the HD 595) : "damn I don't mind the fact that your HD 598 has a much better soundstage but the bass.. the bass mang..." 

 

To add to this, the HD 598 has a more refined sound (more accurate timbre), slightly more clarity, and more "speed" (owing to the slightly bright presentation). Its midrange is superb as well. MIdrange and soundstage are without a doubt, the strongest keypoints of the 598. 

post #21 of 82

KSC75 sounding better than the 595? Yep, if you had the pair I had.

Ok, I had the HD-555, but did the mod to make it the 595.

 

The HD-555 is the headphone I've owned the longest. Never liked it at all. Could be I had an ancient pair that sounded different.

I ended up giving it away for free to my brother.

 

Obviously i'd keep the HD-595 just due to the comfort.

 

As a person who hated the HD-555/595, the 598 really does sound much different to me. Not even a close one.

 

Biggest difference for me was how they sounded much more clear and with a larger soundstage. The modded HD-555 I had was quite dark and muffled sounding.

 

I don't think he HD-598 is worth $250. Mainly due to the build quality. I mean Sennheiser doesn't even seem to sell a replacement cable. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong..

 

I'd take the 598 over the HD-600 though based on just sound. The price of the HD-600 ($399 retail!!) makes the HD-598 look like a steal..


Edited by tdockweiler - 7/26/12 at 5:58pm
post #22 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

I still don't hear a difference between the HD595 and HD598. If there is a difference then it's very minimal. I repaired a HD598 in the past and it uses the same drivers as the HD595, heck it was the same part number. Personally I'd just save the extra $100 and put it toward a nice little amp for them. Another thing is that a used HD580 is about $150, so yeah... 

 

I LOL'ed at someone saying the KSC75 sound better than the HD595. The HD595 is a massive leap from the KSC75. Maybe he is a KSC75 fan boy...

 

Yeah, pretty much the same phone with a detachable cable and color change.  The enclosure and drivers are essentially the same.

post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

KSC75 sounding better than the 595? Yep, if you had the pair I had.

Ok, I had the HD-555, but did the mod to make it the 595.

 

The HD-555 is the headphone I've owned the longest. Never liked it at all. Could be I had an ancient pair that sounded different.

I ended up giving it away for free to my brother.

 

Obviously i'd keep the HD-595 just due to the comfort.

 

As a person who hated the HD-555/595, the 598 really does sound much different to me. Not even a close one.

 

Biggest difference for me was how they sounded much more clear and with a larger soundstage. The modded HD-555 I had was quite dark and muffled sounding.

 

I don't think he HD-598 is worth $250. Mainly due to the build quality. I mean Sennheiser doesn't even seem to sell a replacement cable. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong..

 

I'd take the 598 over the HD-600 though based on just sound. The price of the HD-600 ($399 retail!!) makes the HD-598 look like a steal..

The modded HD555 is NOT the HD595.  The enclosure is different.  No matter how much foam you remove can change that.  The HD595 is far more refined and has tighter bass than the modded HD555.

post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxid10t View Post

The modded HD555 is NOT the HD595.  The enclosure is different.  No matter how much foam you remove can change that.  The HD595 is far more refined and has tighter bass than the modded HD555.

 

Really? Even the pictures of the headphone's inside show it to be totally the same. People go on and on about how the HD-555 foam mod is 100% identical to the 595.

I guess you're the first person i've heard from who's ever claimed this.

 

Wait..why am I even bothering..then right below this you say the HD-598 and 595 are virtually the same except for a new cable and color change.

post #25 of 82

The HD595 has slightly tighter tolerances on the driver. I have no idea if that translates to a tangible improvement, but it is what it is.

post #26 of 82

Hi,

 

I've always thought that modding the HD555 gave you HD595 sound. Heck the driver and enclosure is the same between them, but the HD555 has that foam behind the driver. Remove it and they sound the same.

 

Same with the HD598. Same driver and enclosure. Part numbers for the HD598, HD558 drivers are the same as the HD 595 and HD555. Same drivers so it's the same sound. They may have tweaked the drivers but I don't hear any difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Really? Even the pictures of the headphone's inside show it to be totally the same. People go on and on about how the HD-555 foam mod is 100% identical to the 595.

I guess you're the first person i've heard from who's ever claimed this.

 

Wait..why am I even bothering..then right below this you say the HD-598 and 595 are virtually the same except for a new cable and color change.

post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

Well I just don't hear the differences at all. Not meaning to start anything but the HD595 has always had ample bass and midrange to my ears. They also always sounded very open. I can't see how you would say they sound closed and lack the right timbre/midrange, but my old pair sounded excellent. It's possible they may have tweaked the drivers but from what I've heard there is no audible difference between the HD595 and HD598. 

 

The newer HD558 does sound different than it's older HD555 brother. The HD558 seems brighter with a bit more bass control. The soundstage and midrange are about the same to me. I would recommend the HD558 over the HD555, but there's a big price difference and it's not worth it to me.

 

Hello Zombie_X. Perhaps you should try a wider genre of music. The difference should be more apparent in some music more than others. The HD 595 shares a similar sound signature with the HD 598 like all Sennheiser models but otherwise the differences are VERY noticeable. 

 

I must remind you that the HD 598/558 share different drivers from the HD 595/555. They are NOT the same. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Really? Even the pictures of the headphone's inside show it to be totally the same. People go on and on about how the HD-555 foam mod is 100% identical to the 595.

I guess you're the first person i've heard from who's ever claimed this.

 

Wait..why am I even bothering..then right below this you say the HD-598 and 595 are virtually the same except for a new cable and color change.

Lol it's not worth the effort... 

post #28 of 82

Hi,

 

I tried them with Binaural music from HDTracks (Chesky), and Rush' Moving Pictures. Really I still couldn't hear a difference. I tried rap, classical, acoustic, metal, rock, pop, and some other genre's.

 

I'll still make my stand on the drivers as that is what Sennheiser has told me and I doubt they would tell me something that isn't true. If they share different drivers why would Sennheiser sell me drivers for a different model? Why would they tell me they were the same if they weren't? I highly doubt they would give me false info or even sell me something if it was different.

 

I don't mind if you don't agree but I what you to know I had ample time with all four models and this is what I heard. I'm just stating exactly what I heard. Believe me I wouldn't make this stuff up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleTurtle View Post

Hello Zombie_X. Perhaps you should try a wider genre of music. The difference should be more apparent in some music more than others. The HD 595 shares a similar sound signature with the HD 598 like all Sennheiser models but otherwise the differences are VERY noticeable. 

 

I must remind you that the HD 598/558 share different drivers from the HD 595/555. They are NOT the same. 

 

Lol it's not worth the effort... 

post #29 of 82

This thread is depressing to read.

 

I don't think I need to add my input, just get the HD598 and return them if you don't like them.

 

I think you'll keep them though.

post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

I've always thought that modding the HD555 gave you HD595 sound. Heck the driver and enclosure is the same between them, but the HD555 has that foam behind the driver. Remove it and they sound the same.

 

Same with the HD598. Same driver and enclosure. Part numbers for the HD598, HD558 drivers are the same as the HD 595 and HD555. Same drivers so it's the same sound. They may have tweaked the drivers but I don't hear any difference.

 


I can't believe i'm reading this from you! Same driver does not equal the same sound. This is the case on nearly any headphone. Any change outside the driver can majorly alter the sound signature. If you check older posts from Anaxilus he's compared the internal parts and you can't magically get the 598 sound with a simple mod. There's much more of a difference with the 558 and 598 unlike the 555/595. I think he mentioned to get the 598 sound you would need a dremel.

 

Unless you've taken pictures of the 598 driver or have part #s, I won't believe it uses the same drivers as the 555. Can you prove it? Doesn't matter to me really.

 

Check this post on the differences between the 558 and 598:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541039/sennheiser-hd-598-appreciation-thread/240#post_7593692

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money?