Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money?

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 

So I looked at reviews and these mostly got good reviews. They are my first high end headphones and I just wanna get an up front opinion. I was gonna buy beats but for the music I listen to(Rock, Punk, Folk and very little Electronica, Hip Hop and Rap) I thought the Bass on the Beats were overpowering and these are more flat which is what I would prefer. I realize they can't drive very well from a Ipod but Im sure they would be better than Beats. I have time to cancel my order so its not to late yet if they really arnt that good.


Edited by VIAmusic - 7/22/12 at 3:58pm
post #2 of 82

The 598s were my first set of good headphones too, and I drove them with my iPod for a month. Still do on occasion. Especially after they burned in. I'll always remember the first time I dropped my mouth from really good sound...a remix no less.

post #3 of 82

Hi,

 

I prefer the older model for it's looks and it's price. You can get a used HD595 for $150, which is a great deal. The HD595 and HD598 sound the same so it's up to you, but I would rather save the $100 and get the used version.

post #4 of 82

I was a bit disappointed with them out of the box, they sounded a bit thin and harsh. 50 hours later and run through the Fiio E7, they sound fantastic, I've never got them off my head. I was quite addicted to my IEMs (MD Tributes and DBA-02) until I got these, never really liked or wanted full-size headphones but I don't think I will ever go back.

 

Do give them a decent burn-in before you make your final judgement and accept that they do sound significantly better when amped, they really 'fill out'. In fact, I've just given them a go unamped and they're much thinner though definitely better than out of the box.

post #5 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIAmusic View Post

So I looked at reviews and these mostly got good reviews. They are my first high end headphones and I just wanna get an up front opinion. I was gonna buy beats but for the music I listen to (Rock, Punk, Folk and very little Electronica, Hip Hop and Rap) I thought the Bass on the Beats were overpowering and these are more flat which is what I would prefer. I realize they can't drive very well from a iPod but I'm sure they would be better than Beats. I have time to cancel my order so its not to late yet if they really arn't that good.

Apple products seem to come with decent audio support and the HD598 (50-Ohm) are fairly easy to drive.

You do know the HD598 are open headphones? block zero outside noise.

Personally I would buy the cheaper HD558s, they come with the same driver as the HD598.

With the HD558, you can remove the black rubber tape from inside their cups, makes them sound a little more like the HD598s

post #6 of 82

The 598s are totally worth it.  I do not regret paying the full 250 for them. 

post #7 of 82

Whaaaaaat? Sound the same as 595, and 558 and 598 use the same driver? Then why would I be considering upgrading from 595 to 598 if either of those statements are true? I read from more than one person here that 598 is a step up from 595 and sound better than HD600. I also read 558 and 598 do not use the same driver and you are either thinking of 555 vs 595 (which do use the same driver) or I read disinformation on this forum just two days ago. So, which is it?


Edited by Schonen - 7/23/12 at 4:32pm
post #8 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonen View Post

Whaaaaaat? Sound the same as 595, and 558 and 598 use the same driver? Then why would I be considering upgrading from 595 to 598 if either of those statements are true? I read from more than one person here that 598 is a step up from 595 and sound better than HD600. I also read 558 and 598 do not use the same driver and you are either thinking of 555 vs 595 (which do use the same driver) or I read disinformation on this forum just two days ago. So, which is it?

First I've heard that the HD595 sounds just like the HD598.

 

The HD558 and HD598 do use the same driver, but they have different grills and the HD558 grills are 1/3 cover with a black rubber tape on the inside.

post #9 of 82

Yea, they don't sound the same at all going by what I have read so far. 598 is less laid back with a more neutral SQ.

 

Also, some person on here was trying to get tell me Koss KSC75 sound better than 595 and 595 are crap. Con man?


Edited by Schonen - 7/23/12 at 5:08pm
post #10 of 82

Hi,

 

I still don't hear a difference between the HD595 and HD598. If there is a difference then it's very minimal. I repaired a HD598 in the past and it uses the same drivers as the HD595, heck it was the same part number. Personally I'd just save the extra $100 and put it toward a nice little amp for them. Another thing is that a used HD580 is about $150, so yeah... 

 

I LOL'ed at someone saying the KSC75 sound better than the HD595. The HD595 is a massive leap from the KSC75. Maybe he is a KSC75 fan boy...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonen View Post

Yea, they don't sound the same at all going by what I have read so far. 598 is less laid back with a more neutral SQ.

 

Also, some person on here was trying to get tell me Koss KSC75 sound better than 595 and 595 are crap. Con man?

post #11 of 82

I won't be buying 598 then when I already have 595, thx for saving me from wasting money on a side-grade.

post #12 of 82

This is the first I've heard the 595 even coming close to the 598, which, apart from the HD800, supposedly has the biggest soundstage within several price tiers.

post #13 of 82

Hold on now.  I'd hardly consider this a waste of money.  There are tons of members here who can vouch on the 598 sounding better.  It might a bit of a dubious upgrade when you already have the 595, but if you are new to the market I strongly urge you to take a hard look at the 598.  There are people who hear it, and some who don't.  If you want to take the risk you can try the mod for the 558, but last I heard the drivers between the 5x5 and the 5x8 are not the same.  As an owner of a 598 I think the OP would be very pleased with these headphones especially considering the music genres he listed.  

post #14 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMushroom View Post

Hold on now.  I'd hardly consider this a waste of money.  There are tons of members here who can vouch on the 598 sounding better.  It might a bit of a dubious upgrade when you already have the 595, but if you are new to the market I strongly urge you to take a hard look at the 598.  There are people who hear it, and some who don't.  If you want to take the risk you can try the mod for the 558, but last I heard the drivers between the 5x5 and the 5x8 are not the same.  As an owner of a 598 I think the OP would be very pleased with these headphones especially considering the music genres he listed.  

 

I agree, I don't think OP would be disappointed. I drive them from my iPhone and don't think they sound "thin." Amping with tubes brought out more detail with the Raytheon 6AK5 and the low end feels marginally fuller, but it's not necessary for enjoyment. I still use them every day.

post #15 of 82

That was me. I as big of a Senn fan as any other, but the 595 sounds like plastic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

I LOL'ed at someone saying the KSC75 sound better than the HD595. The HD595 is a massive leap from the KSC75. Maybe he is a KSC75 fan boy...

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the Sennheisers HD598's worth the money?