Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Toxic Cables Silver Poison custom IEM cable - wanna borrow it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toxic Cables Silver Poison custom IEM cable - wanna borrow it? - Page 5

post #61 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

Ive talked to Poetik earlier in the day. if you're next, message him your information so we can get things happening. 

Not trying to be an ass or anything, but I don't know how it can take someone 2 weeks to get an impression of a cable, it'll take me like 2 or 3 days max.

post #62 of 197

That's what I was thinking. He says he had some personal situations that caused some delays, and also having a second cable to review and compare against delayed it further. I'm just not able to do the review type deal as school starts tuesday and until I've settled into the new semester I wont know how much time I have to do such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjt93 View Post

Not trying to be an ass or anything, but I don't know how it can take someone 2 weeks to get an impression of a cable, it'll take me like 2 or 3 days max.

post #63 of 197

Well, I have received the cable from Poetik, and have just started having a listen. I won't really comment on sonic differences (if I can even find any) until I've spent some actual time with them. 

 

Aesthetically, the cable really is wonderful to look at. It seems to be very well made, with strain relief where there should be strain relief. I would say it's a little less flexible than the stock cable for my 1964-Ts, but then again, it is easily twice the diameter, so that is expected. I do wish there was an ear guide/memory wire though. When sitting, the loop over your ears is less secure than I would like. But perhaps my ears are weirdly sloped.

 

So far so good though. I'll do some listening on my home rig tonight, if the giants cowboys game doesn't take up my entire evening.

post #64 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyl View Post

Well, I have received the cable from Poetik, and have just started having a listen. I won't really comment on sonic differences (if I can even find any) until I've spent some actual time with them. 

 

Aesthetically, the cable really is wonderful to look at. It seems to be very well made, with strain relief where there should be strain relief. I would say it's a little less flexible than the stock cable for my 1964-Ts, but then again, it is easily twice the diameter, so that is expected. I do wish there was an ear guide/memory wire though. When sitting, the loop over your ears is less secure than I would like. But perhaps my ears are weirdly sloped.

 

So far so good though. I'll do some listening on my home rig tonight, if the giants cowboys game doesn't take up my entire evening.

That cable is 24AWG so is a little thicker then the 26AWG cables which i also have. As for the guide, i do form the wire a little to fit around the ear, but for a better, secure fit, it's best to use the choker and tighten the wire behind your head.

 

Glad you like the cable so far, do let us know what you think, once you have spent more time with the cable.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #65 of 197

is there an advantage of 24awg over the 26 awg?

i know 26 awg is cheaper, thinner, and therefore more flexible

post #66 of 197

26awg is exponentially more flexible.  

post #67 of 197

I had my 26AWG wire made for IEM use. I have found it to be a little more flexible, but that's not always the case, with different wires. The diameter of the wire is slightly smaller also, so better for portable use.

 

26AWG wire, can also be cheaper to purchase, but this is not always the case, both my 24 and 26 are sold at the same price now, although the 24 cost more before.


Edited by Toxic Cables - 9/9/12 at 9:38am

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #68 of 197

The thickness of the wire, the strand count, and the insulation all contribute to flexibility. Higher gauges are usually stiffer. Lower strand counts (meaning: each strand is a heavier gauge) is usually stiffer. Some jackets are more rigid than others (teflon at one extreme, silicone at the other), and the thickness of the jacket is also a factor, as is the presence and type of lining (paper/cotton/silk/etc.), if any.

 

I've got some 20ga wire with a silicone jacket and some 24ga wire with a teflon jacket. The silicone wire is considerably more limber; the Teflon wire is nearly sculptable, which could be acceptable for interconnects, but can be kind of marginal for headphone cables. Teflon has a much better dielectric, though, and silicone is poor. However, regardless of electrical properties I'm not really eager to try hanging a meter of braided 20ga cable off my IEMs...smile.gif So you have to balance your options.

 

Anyway, this is getting off the topic a bit. Frank knows his wires better than I know his wires, so I'm inclined to trust his recommendations regarding his own product.


Edited by ardgedee - 9/9/12 at 7:21am
post #69 of 197

Well, having had this cable for over a week, I guess I will present some more extended impressions. My appreciation of the build quality and aesthetics still rings true, as this cable certainly seems to be constructed in a top-notch manner. Unfortunately, as a practical, day-to-day cable, I would have to say this isn't quite the one for me. While the thickness of the cable lends it an air of strength and durability, it also makes the cable a little more stiff and space-filling than I would like. The ear guides and angled plug that I would like to have could probably be added in by Frank, so I won't consider those features as a drawback.

 

Sonically, I expected not to hear much of a difference, if I heard any at all. After spending a few hours a day with this cable (and periodically switching back to the stock 1964ears cable), I feel like I may perceive a slight difference, but would not swear to it or expect to tell the difference in a properly blinded comparison. I felt as if the Viper had slightly more top end clarity and focus, which came at the expense of a little bit of bass weight and clarity. 

 

In the end, can I appreciate an eye-catching, handsomely made product? Of course. But at the price it sells for, I feel like it would take a clear improvement in build quality, ergonomics, and sound quality for me to justify purchasing one for myself. Having said that, I am now definitely considering a Toxic Cable to pair with my HD800s for home use, where weight and portability are far less of an issue.

 

Thanks to project86 and Frank for providing this opportunity! If the next person on the review list could send me a PM, I will be able to ship out this cable over the weekend when I can get to the post office.

post #70 of 197
Thread Starter 
Thanks allyl! An honest assessment if ever I've read one.

I'd like to remind everyone that I am not expecting any particular outcome when you try this cable. You may feel like the post above, or you may find it to be a revelation, or perhaps somewhere in between. Don't be afraid to describe what you hear or feel, regardless of what the other posters (or myself) may have already said.
post #71 of 197

Thanks for the impressions, allyl.

 

As i have said myself before, some may find the 24AWG a little thick, and this is why i had my 26AWG wire produced and all IEM cables are sold with the 26AWG wire. I do keep stock of the 24AWG cables also, for those who would prefer that.


Edited by Toxic Cables - 9/17/12 at 10:19pm

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #72 of 197

It has been brought to my attention that SoupRKnowva, who is next in line to get the cable, would rather wait to get the cable. batphink, you're up! If you could PM me your shipping address, I will get the cable out to you, as you are next on the list.

post #73 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyl View Post

It has been brought to my attention that SoupRKnowva, who is next in line to get the cable, would rather wait to get the cable. batphink, you're up! If you could PM me your shipping address, I will get the cable out to you, as you are next on the list.

That i did, yjt93 PMd me asking if he could cut me in line. Im not in any rush to get the cable, i was actually hoping to wait till after i got my Anedio D2 in the next batch, so whoever wants to go ahead of me, is more than welcome to :)

post #74 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

That i did, yjt93 PMd me asking if he could cut me in line. Im not in any rush to get the cable, i was actually hoping to wait till after i got my Anedio D2 in the next batch, so whoever wants to go ahead of me, is more than welcome to :)

 

If the two in front of me don't want the spot, I'll gladly take it :)

 

Grats on the D2 btw!

post #75 of 197

@ project86

could you link the reviews on your first post to make it easier to find and summarize for others?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Toxic Cables Silver Poison custom IEM cable - wanna borrow it?