Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Dark Knight FAIL - another CD mastered with excessive gain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark Knight FAIL - another CD mastered with excessive gain - Page 5

post #61 of 79
Thread Starter 

Hi CantScareMe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post

[snip]

 

My most favourite film OST, the insider (awesome movie btw), is pretty clean too.

 

[snip]

 

On your recommendation, I ordered "The Insider" OST.  I like it a lot!  Thanks!  wink.gif

 

I can hear plenty of dynamic range, even in the 7 of 16 tracks that have the highest peak levels - 98.8%:

 

Here's what those tracks look like:

 

 

 

There's just a little bit of hard limiting, with a few flat-topped peaks to be seen if you zoom into Track 1, as shown here:

 

 

 

I used Sound Forge to take these screen shots, but out of curiosity, I opened Track 1 in Audacity and had it look for clipping - it didn't find any clipping in Track 1 - because nothing peaks at 100%.  Yay!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Track 14 has the lowest Peak Level, at 62.3%:

 

 

 

If you zoom into any of those flat-topped areas, here's what you'll see:

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

post #62 of 79

Wow mike, I just mentioned the ost of this movie in passing,  but I'm glad you like it!!

 

Track 14 is my favourite actually. Great piece 

post #63 of 79
Thread Starter 

beerchug.gif

post #64 of 79

Everytime I come back to this thread, I get angry all over again.  I just can't get over this stupid nonsense.  It's truly tragic.

post #65 of 79

I agree. And then I think about the fact I bought it, too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

Everytime I come back to this thread, I get angry all over again.  I just can't get over this stupid nonsense.  It's truly tragic.

post #66 of 79

This is just plain evil.  

post #67 of 79

What about the lossless tracks on the Inception BD? They had most of the tracks as supplemental material in DTS-HD MA.

post #68 of 79

I just watched the IMAX version of Dark Knight Rises & the audio was sublime.  Much better than the standard definition version I initially watched.

post #69 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

I just watched the IMAX version of Dark Knight Rises & the audio was sublime.  Much better than the standard definition version I initially watched.

 

I should have posted my impressions when I did the same, weekend before last.  The IMAX reproduction was amazing.  Sitting there in the theater, I could hear plenty of dynamic range and clean, textured details with no evidence of distortion.  All of which is proof that somewhere, there are original recordings of these tracks that are NOT overly compressed or clipped in any way.   

 

I just finished listening to Team Sleep's "The Passportal" from the "Matrix Reloaded" soundtrack CD.  What a breath of fresh air that is compared to the Dark Knight Rises mess!  Just clean, highly detailed, and dynamic ear candy!

post #70 of 79

Those who did not see Batman on IMAX missed out.  Not just the sound but the 72 minutes of pure IMAX film.

post #71 of 79

I'm not sure which IMAX's you guys have close to you, but the biggest one and the most hyped one in the uk (at london waterloo) has an audio system that sucks. I've been there twice or something and never again- It's not just the loud crap sibilant sharp messy very bassy audio but the screen isn't all that either. Fair enough, good screen, but I expected better given the hype.

post #72 of 79

I'm in Southern California dude.  Hollywood is down the freeway with 21 different IMAX theaters in the LA area.  I have three between 5-15 minutes of my house.

 

One needs to see films made in IMAX, not just shown on the screen for proper effect.  Otherwise you get a grainy mess.  To date, Chris Nolan has racked up more IMAX film footage than any other mainstream director.  Spielberg says the IMAX remaster of Indiana Jones impressed him, not sure if I trust him after Warhorse.


Edited by Anaxilus - 8/23/12 at 2:33am
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

 

I should have posted my impressions when I did the same, weekend before last.  The IMAX reproduction was amazing.  Sitting there in the theater, I could hear plenty of dynamic range and clean, textured details with no evidence of distortion.  All of which is proof that somewhere, there are original recordings of these tracks that are NOT overly compressed or clipped in any way.   

 

You're absolutely right.  I was trying to listen for distortion @ peaks & got none.  After doing that the first two times I just settled back in my chair confident it was mastering quality audio and enjoyed the rest of it.  

 

Actually even if there was no video/movie playing, it would have been worth the $19 to sit there and hear Hanz Zimmer & orchestra "go" - it's an amazing soundtrack.

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

I'm in Southern California dude.  Hollywood is down the freeway with 21 different IMAX theaters in the LA area.  I have three between 5-15 minutes of my house.

 

One needs to see films made in IMAX, not just shown on the screen for proper effect.  Otherwise you get a grainy mess.  To date, Chris Nolan has racked up more IMAX film footage than any other mainstream director.  Spielberg says the IMAX remaster of Indiana Jones impressed him, not sure if I trust him after Warhorse.

 

Holy moly, 21 different theaters!

I think there's two in london (one inside a museum). The films I saw were avatar, alice in wonderland and another I think this time in 2D...

post #75 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

 

You're absolutely right.  I was trying to listen for distortion @ peaks & got none.  After doing that the first two times I just settled back in my chair confident it was mastering quality audio and enjoyed the rest of it.  

 

Actually even if there was no video/movie playing, it would have been worth the $19 to sit there and hear Hanz Zimmer & orchestra "go" - it's an amazing soundtrack.

 

This goes without saying, but...  It's so frustrating that we can't experience this music on our own gear.  It's just not for sale, at any price.  Unobtanium.

 

Mike

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Dark Knight FAIL - another CD mastered with excessive gain