Do you think high end, multi BA IEMs that have 4 or more drivers per earphone like Westone4 or customs like Melody Miracle are better than high end dynamic over ear headphones like HD800 ?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- productSI500 - Sound Clarity Sound Isolating In Ear Earphones w/Linx Audio and Remote/Mic - Coppertagged by System, 7/24/12
- productUnique Melody Miracletagged by System, 7/24/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 7/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried? Last post on 6/24/14 at 11:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- sennheiser hd800 in iem form? Last post on 4/6/11 at 8:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 or save for Westone ES 5 ?? Last post on 3/3/11 at 9:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my second attempt at a review of the Brainwavz S5, my first attempt ended up in the bin yesterday, as I was looking at it from the wrong angle (some forum members wanted a comparison to...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
High-end IEM's Vs. High-end over ear headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 67/22/12 at 3:01am
Apples and oranges comparison. Also do note that more drivers does not necessarily mean better sound, while you can get some high end customs and universals that share one or two sound similarities compared to some high end dynamic headphones but in the end, in this case to your question the HD800 will just have sound qualities that are leaps ahead of the W4 or Miracle. I have both the HD800's and the ES5 CIEM and its not a contender really, the ES5 isolates and blocks off sound 101% better then my HD800, but in the end, the HD800 (through my rig at least) is just much much more engaging with the music I listen to.post #3 of 67/22/12 at 3:25amThread Starterpost #4 of 67/22/12 at 4:00amQuote:
I don't think that would be a "correct" question to ask. I guess it has more to do with the fact that cans can provide much better stage and feel to the music compared to IEM-s. even when my Able planet IS500 is much, much better in sound quality compared to sony xd200, the later is just much more open and wide and mind you, this IS500 in fact is better in that regard than every IEM I've listened to up until now (not much, but still)post #5 of 67/22/12 at 4:27amThread Starterpost #6 of 67/22/12 at 4:31amQuote:
That would also apply to headphones...
Two different products filling two very different needs.
What are your needs?
JimReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-end IEM's Vs. High-end over ear headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 30 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 54 seconds ago
- › Looking for small bookshelf speakers with huge sound 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › Westone W60 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Duncan
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)