Do you think high end, multi BA IEMs that have 4 or more drivers per earphone like Westone4 or customs like Melody Miracle are better than high end dynamic over ear headphones like HD800 ?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- productSI500 - Sound Clarity Sound Isolating In Ear Earphones w/Linx Audio and Remote/Mic - Coppertagged by System, 7/24/12
- productUnique Melody Miracletagged by System, 7/24/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 7/24/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 7/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried? Last post on 11/10/14 at 12:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- sennheiser hd800 in iem form? Last post on 4/6/11 at 8:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 or save for Westone ES 5 ?? Last post on 3/3/11 at 9:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on Today at 3:58 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 3/10/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
This is my first review on head-fi. I had humble beginnings in my path as an audiophile that only officially started once I got the wonderful AKG K550 and grew more conscious of the link between...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank RIVA Audio team for a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks to the original Jambox, going back a few years, wireless...
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/ It takes a lot of confidence to name your product after the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. If your going to honor the legendary mach 3+ strategic reconnaissance...
Every 6 months I've had the pleasure of talking to Shinobu Karaki of Aurorasound at the Tokyo headphone festivals. As an ex-Texas Instruments employee he has come up with some interesting...
For me, the Audeze EL-8Cs satisfy a long awaited two year search for a closed headphone that I can use at work that sound just as good as my home theater setup. I enjoy them so much, that I cannot...
High-end IEM's Vs. High-end over ear headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 67/22/12 at 3:01am
Apples and oranges comparison. Also do note that more drivers does not necessarily mean better sound, while you can get some high end customs and universals that share one or two sound similarities compared to some high end dynamic headphones but in the end, in this case to your question the HD800 will just have sound qualities that are leaps ahead of the W4 or Miracle. I have both the HD800's and the ES5 CIEM and its not a contender really, the ES5 isolates and blocks off sound 101% better then my HD800, but in the end, the HD800 (through my rig at least) is just much much more engaging with the music I listen to.post #3 of 67/22/12 at 3:25amThread Starterpost #4 of 67/22/12 at 4:00amQuote:
I don't think that would be a "correct" question to ask. I guess it has more to do with the fact that cans can provide much better stage and feel to the music compared to IEM-s. even when my Able planet IS500 is much, much better in sound quality compared to sony xd200, the later is just much more open and wide and mind you, this IS500 in fact is better in that regard than every IEM I've listened to up until now (not much, but still)post #5 of 67/22/12 at 4:27amThread Starterpost #6 of 67/22/12 at 4:31amQuote:
That would also apply to headphones...
Two different products filling two very different needs.
What are your needs?
JimReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-end IEM's Vs. High-end over ear headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Gustard Amplifiers and DACs 31 seconds ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5,... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Canadian Head-Fi'ers counting 3 minutes ago
- › Fatal flaw with Audeze EL-8 ??? 5 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 5 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 minutes ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 8 minutes ago
- › Introduction 9 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 9 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DreamKing
- › Riva TurboX High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Black) by twister6
- › Ray Samuels Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A Portable... by Stereocilia
- › Aurorasound HEADA Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Currawong
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by bearcat1986
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by YoYo JoKeR
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by DJScope
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 by MrJohnny
- › Shure SE112m+-GR Sound Isolating Earphones with Remote + Microphone... by pformagg
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2