If you like the m50, try the w1000x: it's like the m50 but more comfortable and the sound is bigger & better in every way.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/22/12
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 7/22/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 7/22/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/22/12
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 7/22/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/22/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/22/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 7/22/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/22/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 7/22/12More
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 7/22/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 7/22/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 7/22/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 7/22/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 7/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- A little more mids than the M50s, in the same price range? (Maybe $180) Last post on 8/10/12 at 12:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep Headphones Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good cans similar to Sennheiser HD 558 but closed cups? Last post on 8/12/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good Headphones under $300 Total Price Last post on 8/8/12 at 1:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- On ear headphones for iPod. Last post on 9/10/12 at 8:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
A web of controversy: The usual suspect of "snake oil items" Audioquest has established itself as a notorious company, solely focused on the manufacture of "state of the art" Hi-fi,...
Sennheiser has launched an excellent closed back over ear headphone which has the premium sound of the legendary hd 5 series but instead of the traditional open back design this has a closed back...
I was never a really big fan of on-ear or supra-aural headphones in the past. They always seemed to be uncomfortable or not offer a proper seal granting the full sound or decent noise isolation....
Looking for my perfect set of cans - Page 2post #16 of 207/22/12 at 9:48am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 207/22/12 at 9:59amQuote:Originally Posted by Geckster
I'm hoping I can get a little guidance, as I'm in over my head, and out of my league. Firstly, let me say that I am by know means an audiophile, but I am looking to get started down the right path. I'm looking for a decent set of over the ear headphones, and I'm open to any brand. I have a price that I would like to spend of $200.00 but I don't really have a budget per se.
Here's a few random details:
I love the sound of the M50's
I loathe Beats ( all my friends have them and cannot hear how horrible they sound)
I would have already purchased the M50's if it were not for the length of the cord.
I want something that I can listen to for 2-3 hours at a time.
I'm not interested in true noise cancelling headphones as I'm not willing to sacrifice quality.
I listen to a lot of classical and blues. A few of my favorite artists include Adele, the Beatles, Ray LaMontagne, Sara Bareilles Stevie Ray Vaughan but I'll usually listen to anything aside from hard rock and rap/hip-hop.
I prefer vinyl over digital any day, but my collection is small. The primary use of the headphones will be for an ipod though.
I would like to make a purchase within the next month. I've been searching for the perfect set for me, but I feel lost right now.
Geckster, you'll get lots of great advice about this, but I would also suggest looking into a pair of used headphones. Pleather, plastic, and metal are all nonporous materials and can be cleaned up and sterilized easily, so you can basically get a really good deal on a higher-end pair of headphones that can be cleaned up to be practically new.post #18 of 207/30/12 at 5:45amQuote:
might also want to mention that its 500 dollars more expensive.post #19 of 207/30/12 at 8:17amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by whereas
Geckster, you'll get lots of great advice about this, but I would also suggest looking into a pair of used headphones. Pleather, plastic, and metal are all nonporous materials and can be cleaned up and sterilized easily, so you can basically get a really good deal on a higher-end pair of headphones that can be cleaned up to be practically new.
Thanks, I never thought of going that route. Do you have a recommended site to go to, other than eBay?post #20 of 208/8/12 at 8:05pm
Amazon has used deals all the time for most all headphones, so I'd check there first. I found my Denons by doing a google search and rooting through dozens of results pages to find someone selling a pair on an obscure forum. Got a really great deal on a like-new pair. I couldn't have gotten that same deal through ebay or something like that, so I would keep that in mind.
- Looking for my perfect set of cans
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Three Word Story 10 seconds ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 39 seconds ago
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC) 40 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 44 seconds ago
- › 1more E1001 triple driver in ear headphones review 53 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › Having a hard time picking new headphones. 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 1 minute ago
- › 11th Vienna Meet Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by Sam20
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear