Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes - Page 5

post #61 of 436

The beats prove that we simply live in a consumer society, where advertising can push a product to insane popularity, even if the product is inadequate for the price.

post #62 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustablad View Post

The beats prove that we simply live in a consumer society, where advertising can push a product to insane popularity, even if the product is inadequate for the price.

Yea... we kind of got that by now o.o
And not only that, a society where many don't consider truth in advertising.
post #63 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1TCH3D View Post


Yea... we kind of got that by now o.o
And not only that, a society where many don't consider truth in advertising.


I don't think that advertisement alone can make people believe it, as we all (or at least most of us) completely disregard any ad on TV as pure BS. However, it only takes one uneducated person to try a product and think it's great for it to explode everywhere. You see that Soul and SMS and all those other celebrity headphone brands haven't really been all that successful because they sold in low numbers initially, meaning that there was little influence to be had on an already-biased population.

post #64 of 436

The Beats marketing is atrocious. 'Nuff said.

Reminds me of how Sennheiser marketed their HD205s as Studio Monitor DJ headphones. Paradox much?

post #65 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

The Beats marketing is atrocious. 'Nuff said.

Reminds me of how Sennheiser marketed their HD205s as Studio Monitor DJ headphones. Paradox much?

On that subject, I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that all the good headphones at Best Buy are shoved in the Pro Audio/DJ section. Even the TMA-1 was over there, and it's literally designed for the MP3 section.

post #66 of 436

I'd be a hypocrite if I said I absolutely hate gimmicky products because I have three Razer periphials 

post #67 of 436

I just can't help but laugh at the fact that Beats (tm)'d Pro.

post #68 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

I just can't help but laugh at the fact that Beats (tm)'d Pro.

If they start suing other headphone companies for using that name years before them, we have to go ahead and call their bluff. Anyone down to make protest signs?

post #69 of 436

Hellz yaa

post #70 of 436

Ignorance is bliss. Let them waddle in their filth

post #71 of 436

lol "studio quality", that junk is for little kids living in their parent's basements. That stuff can't even touch the X-Fi Experience.jecklinsmile.gif
1000

post #72 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

What I meant is that whether it is intentional or not the government are too lazy and stingy to investigate and enforce legislation on these sort of things. It is very bad for the consumer really because there is a LOT of very misleading false advertising going on but the government agencies do not do a very good job controlling this at all. This applies to many areas such as headphones, electronics, food etc etc. Things could be worse I suppose but really I think they should make more effort to crack down on false advertising and misleading product descriptions because at the moment manufacturers can get away with blatant lies and false information quite easily!

(restrain myself from screaming "Hello!?  This is the same 'big government' that's so demonized right now!  The market cannot and does not regulate itself!  Stop whining about yr g**damn taxes!")

 

Where was I?  Yeah.

post #73 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

lol "studio quality", that junk is for little kids living in their parent's basements. That stuff can't even touch the X-Fi Experience.jecklinsmile.gif
1000

 

lol a prime example of some BS plucked out of thin air by marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

(restrain myself from screaming "Hello!?  This is the same 'big government' that's so demonized right now!  The market cannot and does not regulate itself!  Stop whining about yr g**damn taxes!")

 

Where was I?  Yeah.

 

What is your point? Are you saying I am wrong?!

 

It is not the markets responsibilty, (well it is but clearly that does not work)... Government needs to stop being lazy / making excuses and put some legislation in place.


Edited by nicholars - 7/23/12 at 5:07am
post #74 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post


I don't think that advertisement alone can make people believe it, as we all (or at least most of us) completely disregard any ad on TV as pure BS. However, it only takes one uneducated person to try a product and think it's great for it to explode everywhere. You see that Soul and SMS and all those other celebrity headphone brands haven't really been all that successful because they sold in low numbers initially, meaning that there was little influence to be had on an already-biased population.

 

The problem is that like the majority of people are "one uneducated person" ...


Edited by nicholars - 7/23/12 at 5:07am
post #75 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

lol a prime example of some BS plucked out of thin air by marketing

 

What is your point? Are you saying I am wrong?!

 

It is not the markets responsibilty, (well it is but clearly that does not work)... Government needs to stop being lazy / making excuses and put some legislation in place.

The government isn't being lazy, we simply are not their actual constituency (among many other problems).  If you want consumer protection laws and enforcement, you have to pay for it.  Whether it's taxes or the market, caveat emptor applies here.

 

Honestly though - headphone fidelity claims are not likely to rustle the jimmies of anyone not a hi-fi/head-fi geek.  We aren't the 99%.  We are totally different 0.000235%. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes