Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes - Page 15

post #211 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Yes that is because people who have not heard proper good quality headphones think that bloated midbass with loads of distortion sounds great....

 

This is why pretty much all integrated consumer audio systems or headphones such as beats etc. have horrible bloated, distorted mid bass... And when you play them some headphones which have flat bass response with no distortion they think it is bad even though it is actually better.

 

Best thing to do is just pat them on the head and agree with them and keep your thoughts to yourself because they are lost causes.

 

The funny thing is, I have a pair of headphones I like to think are pretty flat, the Audio Technica M40fs, and while they're amazingly clear, they're not loud enough for me and the lack of a good kick made me replace them.  

 

My only thing is, I wish I can find a pair of headphones that can satisfy the basshead in me, but also give me amazing sound quality, no mud, no distortion, drowned out mids/highs, etc.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #212 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

I don't even think they look cool I would be embarassed to walk around with beats on my head.

yes i would never wear them either but some how the masses have been convinced that having beats n makes you look cool...lol and that coo is worth $300 to those folks..

post #213 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

 

Considering that I'm also a Head-Fi member, I would be, too lol.

 

I remember when I listened to a pair of Studio Beats that a couple of friends have.  One of them listened to my headphones on his iPod Touch (which has no EQ) and told me "I don't like the bass".  Which is funny because on my iPod Classic (Acoustics EQ) my Ultrasone DJ-1 kick harder than the Studios.  When I listened to my other friend's set of cans, I noticed that they were really muddy, and also didn't kick as hard as my headphones on my laptop, to which he could only say "Noooooo!  Nooooooo!  No way".  I guess he doesn't want to believe he spent $300 on mud lol.

 

Even more ironic is the fact my laptop has "Beats Audio".  I don't mind it because EVERYTHING I hear is EQ'd, unlike Macs, but I've started to notice that the audio is also a bit muddy.

That "Beat audio" built in thing confuse me .. so beats makes DACs that is sells to other companies t use??  OMG   i guess bur-brown has to watch their back huh..lol

post #214 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmusic View Post

That "Beat audio" built in thing confuse me .. so beats makes DACs that is sells to other companies t use??  OMG   i guess bur-brown has to watch their back huh..lol

 

Actually, they probably just make Beats stickers that they sell to other companies.... anyone know? I highly doubt they make DACs.

post #215 of 433
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DxBecks View Post

700

 

A picture speaks 1000 words...


That picture has already come up earlier in the thread and been debunked as a photoshop job.

 

Guys, let's keep the thread on-topic. Marketing lies is the topic, not Beats and their wearers.

post #216 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

 

The funny thing is, I have a pair of headphones I like to think are pretty flat, the Audio Technica M40fs, and while they're amazingly clear, they're not loud enough for me and the lack of a good kick made me replace them.  

 

My only thing is, I wish I can find a pair of headphones that can satisfy the basshead in me, but also give me amazing sound quality, no mud, no distortion, drowned out mids/highs, etc.

well certain types of music call for the headphones to perform a certain way to capture the style of that type of music..lol so i can see where non audiophile hip hop listeners would not be happy with many high end cans...

 

I go the Harman Kardon BTs today and they sound pretty damn good  (through the cable) for $250..

 

I am and audiophile but i believe that my speakers and headphones must be able to render what ever type of music i choose to play ...   i used to be into car audio and my goal was always to have my system able to play anything that anyone asked my to play and play it very well and very loud...  but crystal clear and accurately.. so i had to design a special pro audio esqu sound stage separation technique so that   i could play hip hop bassy stuff then throw on an accosting paul mccartney if need be,,lol   I used a diuble bass for mid bass and sub bass and EV pro audio stage monitors to achieve success.. no car speakers could produce the siound i needed at high volumes..lolol

post #217 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

 

The funny thing is, I have a pair of headphones I like to think are pretty flat, the Audio Technica M40fs, and while they're amazingly clear, they're not loud enough for me and the lack of a good kick made me replace them.  

 

My only thing is, I wish I can find a pair of headphones that can satisfy the basshead in me, but also give me amazing sound quality, no mud, no distortion, drowned out mids/highs, etc.

 

If you want some headphones that have pretty bass head quantity bass and also very good sound quality then I would reccomend the Denon D2000.... They have good sub bass and not bloated / distorted mid bass. They are a bit bright however but you might not find them bright.

post #218 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post


That picture has already come up earlier in the thread and been debunked as a photoshop job.

 

Guys, let's keep the thread on-topic. Marketing lies is the topic, not Beats and their wearers.

yeh dre does not use cans when recording her just listen to studio monitors it seams..loll

post #219 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmusic View Post

well certain types of music call for the headphones to perform a certain way to capture the style of that type of music..lol so i can see where non audiophile hip hop listeners would not be happy with many high end cans...

 

I go the Harman Kardon BTs today and they sound pretty damn good  (through the cable) for $250..

 

I am and audiophile but i believe that my speakers and headphones must be able to render what ever type of music i choose to play ...   i used to be into car audio and my goal was always to have my system able to play anything that anyone asked my to play and play it very well and very loud...  but crystal clear and accurately.. so i had to design a special pro audio esqu sound stage separation technique so that   i could play hip hop bassy stuff then throw on an accosting paul mccartney if need be,,lol   I used a diuble bass for mid bass and sub bass and EV pro audio stage monitors to achieve success.. no car speakers could produce the siound i needed at high volumes..lolol

 

I listen to more Electronic than anything else, but even then I would like to be able to have my bass and still understand what the rapper is saying.

 

Sounds like having bass and clarity is a lot harder than I thought it is lol

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

If you want some headphones that have pretty bass head quantity bass and also very good sound quality then I would reccomend the Denon D2000.... They have good sub bass and not bloated / distorted mid bass. They are a bit bright however but you might not find them bright.

 

Do you know of any cans that are similar but aren't as expensive?  Also I heard the build quality of those aren't exactly the best, and I'd prefer to have headphones where the cord only comes out of one side....but that's just me being extremely picky lol

post #220 of 433
Thread Starter 

To get the thread back on track for the third or fourth time in as many pages, here's quote from Pioneer's page for the HDJ-1500:

 

1000

Apparently the design of their bass port also magically isolates...

post #221 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

Considering that I'm also a Head-Fi member, I would be, too lol.

I remember when I listened to a pair of Studio Beats that a couple of friends have.  One of them listened to my headphones on his iPod Touch (which has no EQ) and told me "I don't like the bass".  Which is funny because on my iPod Classic (Acoustics EQ) my Ultrasone DJ-1 kick harder than the Studios.  When I listened to my other friend's set of cans, I noticed that they were really muddy, and also didn't kick as hard as my headphones on my laptop, to which he could only say "Noooooo!  Nooooooo!  No way".  I guess he doesn't want to believe he spent $300 on mud lol.

Even more ironic is the fact my laptop has "Beats Audio".  I don't mind it because EVERYTHING I hear is EQ'd, unlike Macs, but I've started to notice that the audio is also a bit muddy.

It's likely that their exposure to audio is X, and they consider X to be what sounds "right" or "good" - it's all relative though. I think the HFI-2400 is a muddy mess and that most Ultrasones are boomy, but that's relative to something else. Other people won't have that frame of reference, or feel the same way. Again, highly relative. I don't think he's trying to lie to you, nor do I think he's a "lost cause" (he is your friend, after all, right?) - it's simply different frames of reference. If you listened to his headphones 24x7 and not yours, eventually you would acclimate to them, and they would be "normative" to you, and other headphones would seem "off" by comparison. The current trend in modern audio devices is to bump the mid-bass up (and it doesn't have to be "muddy" by definition, it's just that generally speaking humped-up mid-bass sounds wooly/muddy), almost as if "they" are trying to fly in the face of audiophile hi-fi sound signatures (which are normally relatively thin and bright by comparison and can sound etched or harsh - neither of these signatures is really accurate or "flat" and by no means is one "right" or "wrong.").
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

To get the thread back on track for the third or fourth time in as many pages, here's quote from Pioneer's page for the HDJ-1500:


Apparently the design of their bass port also magically isolates...

This would easily enough debunked or verified with measurements. Unfortunately I can find none for the HDJ-1500. I don't fully understand what Pioneer is attempting to say in that blurb, but it's plausible - again, up to measurements to verify. The real question is, how good or bad was the previous model? redface.gif I mean, for all we know, the previous model actually amplified noise at those frequencies, and they're just getting it leveled off now...or it now provides a maximum of 4 dB of isolation there (which is essentially insignificant), etc etc. That's where it's dubious imo.
post #222 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


It's likely that their exposure to audio is X, and they consider X to be what sounds "right" or "good" - it's all relative though. I think the HFI-2400 is a muddy mess and that most Ultrasones are boomy, but that's relative to something else. Other people won't have that frame of reference, or feel the same way. Again, highly relative. I don't think he's trying to lie to you, nor do I think he's a "lost cause" (he is your friend, after all, right?) - it's simply different frames of reference. If you listened to his headphones 24x7 and not yours, eventually you would acclimate to them, and they would be "normative" to you, and other headphones would seem "off" by comparison. The current trend in modern audio devices is to bump the mid-bass up (and it doesn't have to be "muddy" by definition, it's just that generally speaking humped-up mid-bass sounds wooly/muddy), almost as if "they" are trying to fly in the face of audiophile hi-fi sound signatures (which are normally relatively thin and bright by comparison and can sound etched or harsh - neither of these signatures is really accurate or "flat" and by no means is one "right" or "wrong.").

 

I see exactly what you're saying.  I once thought my aunt's $20 Sony cans were amazing 'til I got a hold of JBL Reference 410, which I thought were the best 'til I heard Sennheiser HD205's & so on.  What makes it "worse" is the marketing behind said headphones, where they market the product (extremely well) to cause the mass to believe their exposure to the "audiophile" world is the very best they can buy.  Kinda like what Apple does with their Macbooks............actually they're almost identical in a sense.  Neither company produces a product that is of the quality you'd expect from the price you would pay for their products.

post #223 of 433

Sorry I have to off topic once more to ask a question.

 

I have heard that the Beats have this sort of 'filter' which makes them sound 'different' so people think it's better. Anybody what this is ?

post #224 of 433

partly the reason i feel that people find high end cans unappealing to them is the fact that most non audiophiles stock up with 128 kbps songs from itunes or some youtube rips (my friends do so) so when they take my headphones to test on their system they are unimpressed, when i hered my own pair through their system i was unimpressed too, beats just covers up the compression artifacts with their special magical feature of 'returning lost quality of mp3 compression' :D

im sorry that was just a joke, beats just covers and masks the artifacts by loading it with so much bass the people also think more bass impact means more energy means better sound quality,
on the other hand most high end cans are very picky about the music file quality being pumped through it, and will actually make beats sound better than $1000 flagships just because beats covers up the flaws while the flagship models just show you the flaws in the compression in utter most detail

post #225 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

partly the reason i feel that people find high end cans unappealing to them is the fact that most non audiophiles stock up with 128 kbps songs from itunes or some youtube rips (my friends do so) so when they take my headphones to test on their system they are unimpressed, when i hered my own pair through their system i was unimpressed too, beats just covers up the compression artifacts with their special magical feature of 'returning lost quality of mp3 compression' :D

im sorry that was just a joke, beats just covers and masks the artifacts by loading it with so much bass the people also think more bass impact means more energy means better sound quality,
on the other hand most high end cans are very picky about the music file quality being pumped through it, and will actually make beats sound better than $1000 flagships just because beats covers up the flaws while the flagship models just show you the flaws in the compression in utter most detail


they don't cover up flaws, they are just so bad they cant play them in the first place

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes