- 1,291 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Seattle, Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I buy just one Beats Headphone? Last post on 1/16/15 at 10:58pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best setup for under $1000 (headphone, amp, and dac) Last post on 3/20/14 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the best clear sounding headphones? Last post on 10/8/12 at 8:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- How much of a difference is there between the Ultrasone signature pro/edition 8 and a mid fi... Last post on 10/19/13 at 12:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
= Hifiman Regrilling Mod = - Page 17post #241 of 7402/17/14 at 5:50pmI
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 7402/22/14 at 9:57pmpost #243 of 7402/24/14 at 8:29am
Whats the best way to remove the retaining rings? I tried prying it out with a thin screwdriver at the 1030 and 130 positions but it wouldnt give.
Didnt want to scratch anything.post #244 of 7402/24/14 at 8:37amQuote:
I just used my fingernails. Pull the ring toward the center of the grill.post #245 of 7402/26/14 at 9:48pmI used the letter tray mesh on the HE-6 and it's a very nice change of presentation. More speaker like. This, Denon angled pads and the felt mod has made an already world class headphone even better.post #246 of 7402/27/14 at 9:04ampost #247 of 7403/1/14 at 10:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by ThurstonX
Why not order this:
get some tin snips and a file (for thinning the edge). That's all it takes.
- Use a stock grill to make a cut-out from some stiff cardboard
- Use that cut-out and a Sharpie or other marker to trace the circle on the mesh
- Snip it so it's just slightly too large (basically, follow the traced circle, but don't go too much inside the marker tracing)
- Trim that with the snips and file until it fits
- If you can't get the holding ring back in place easily, thin the edge (without reducing the size of the circle; so file straight out from the center)
- If you want to attach a dust shield, organza is a nice fabric; could try spray adhesive (use a smaller circle cut-out such that the spray only gets on the outer part of the grill, rather than sticking the fabric to the entire grill surface), or maybe a glue stick. I tried and can't recommend Super or Krazy glue or kids' glue like Modge Podge or whatever. They will work, but can be messy.
Hope that helps.
Oh yeah, and @Nimzerz, get a pair of Q701 pads
I used this grill and put one on one side while the other side had stock grills. Then I tested it using some mono tracks. I could not hear any difference between stock grill and the new grill.post #248 of 7403/2/14 at 12:59amThat's definitely an odd way of testing sound difference... where'd you get the mono tracks and wouldn't you be killing soundstage, separation and depth by going mono tracks?post #249 of 7403/31/14 at 11:45ampost #250 of 7404/8/14 at 12:00ampost #251 of 7404/8/14 at 12:35ampost #252 of 7404/11/14 at 12:16pmpost #253 of 7404/11/14 at 12:22pmpost #254 of 7404/11/14 at 12:51pmThread Starter
The new HE560 wooden cup doesn't have 4 tiny slots carved into its grill rim regions...there has to be some way of keeping the grill-retainment ring secure without having to resort to something permanent (wood glue).post #255 of 7404/11/14 at 12:55pmYou think maybe the units you guys got pre-release might be different in a sense they just glued the rings on vs notching the wood?
- = Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 seconds ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 13 seconds ago
- › MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread..... 33 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Help me find the perfect headphones based on the genre of music I... 1 minute ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Known bugs/issues with latest X7 firmware 2 minutes ago
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by bartzky
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphone - Black by MICHAELSD
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by flinkenick
- › TFZ Balance 2M by ustinj
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear