- 981 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Seattle, Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best setup for under $1000 (headphone, amp, and dac) Last post on 4/15/13 at 2:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the best clear sounding headphones? Last post on 10/8/12 at 8:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- How much of a difference is there between the Ultrasone signature pro/edition 8 and a mid fi... Last post on 10/19/13 at 12:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
= Hifiman Regrilling Mod = - Page 17post #241 of 2482/17/14 at 5:50pmI
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 2482/22/14 at 9:57pmpost #243 of 2482/24/14 at 8:29ampost #244 of 2482/24/14 at 8:37amQuote:
I just used my fingernails. Pull the ring toward the center of the grill.post #245 of 2482/26/14 at 9:48pmI used the letter tray mesh on the HE-6 and it's a very nice change of presentation. More speaker like. This, Denon angled pads and the felt mod has made an already world class headphone even better.post #246 of 2482/27/14 at 9:04ampost #247 of 2483/1/14 at 10:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by ThurstonX
Why not order this:
get some tin snips and a file (for thinning the edge). That's all it takes.
- Use a stock grill to make a cut-out from some stiff cardboard
- Use that cut-out and a Sharpie or other marker to trace the circle on the mesh
- Snip it so it's just slightly too large (basically, follow the traced circle, but don't go too much inside the marker tracing)
- Trim that with the snips and file until it fits
- If you can't get the holding ring back in place easily, thin the edge (without reducing the size of the circle; so file straight out from the center)
- If you want to attach a dust shield, organza is a nice fabric; could try spray adhesive (use a smaller circle cut-out such that the spray only gets on the outer part of the grill, rather than sticking the fabric to the entire grill surface), or maybe a glue stick. I tried and can't recommend Super or Krazy glue or kids' glue like Modge Podge or whatever. They will work, but can be messy.
Hope that helps.
Oh yeah, and @Nimzerz, get a pair of Q701 pads
I used this grill and put one on one side while the other side had stock grills. Then I tested it using some mono tracks. I could not hear any difference between stock grill and the new grill.post #248 of 2483/2/14 at 12:59amThat's definitely an odd way of testing sound difference... where'd you get the mono tracks and wouldn't you be killing soundstage, separation and depth by going mono tracks?
- = Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 57 seconds ago
- › FS: Dunu DN-1000 1 minute ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › how is spacial imaging increased for iems? 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Beats 2 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude