Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman Regrilling Mod = - Page 10

post #136 of 327

Ugh great just what I need another mod project... already spent an hour A/B my sound magic with new pads [new pads rock]

 

NOW when I get an He 400 I get to spend a WHOLE day with Stell Mesh and Ultra Nylon Panyhose then I gatta buy some wire cutters too... great xD

post #137 of 327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Ugh great just what I need another mod project... already spent an hour A/B my sound magic with new pads [new pads rock]

 

NOW when I get an He 400 I get to spend a WHOLE day with Stell Mesh and Ultra Nylon Panyhose then I gatta buy some wire cutters too... great xD

 

It's pretty enjoyable though, the process of modding and testing. Just takes up a bit of time and shopping for mats.

post #138 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

 

It's pretty enjoyable though, the process of modding and testing. Just takes up a bit of time and shopping for mats.

 

kinda like the time it's taken me to mess around with a couple of different pads for my Sound Magics which sound really nice with my w1000x pads, ironically the w1000x has to much bass [get l3k pads] thje Sound Magic to little [get w1000x pads lol]

 

so I enjoy the tinkering 

post #139 of 327

never mind.


Edited by Nimzerz - 10/1/13 at 12:48am
post #140 of 327

My performance question is:

 

When the dust cloth is removed does the stock grill sound fine or does switching out the grill also make a big sonic improvement?

 

A modding question:

To protect the phones from dust has any tried to make HifiMan booties?  Basically it would be the ultra sheer nylons but they would go on over the cups from the outside.  This way when dust protection is desired they can be slid on but when listening they could be taken off.  Does this seem like its possible or that the obstructions (cable conntectors and headband attachment) would get in the way?

post #141 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeDylie View Post
 

My performance question is:

 

When the dust cloth is removed does the stock grill sound fine or does switching out the grill also make a big sonic improvement?

 

A modding question:

To protect the phones from dust has any tried to make HifiMan booties?  Basically it would be the ultra sheer nylons but they would go on over the cups from the outside.  This way when dust protection is desired they can be slid on but when listening they could be taken off.  Does this seem like its possible or that the obstructions (cable conntectors and headband attachment) would get in the way?

 

IMO the grill removal is what makes the most improvement sonically. The dust cover is almost as sheer as panty hose so I don't see it having much impact on FR.

post #142 of 327

Jerg you are the man!! Just popped off the grills and running them open and the SQ has increased noticeably! I'm at the shop right plugged to system here, can't wait it take it back home and have a go with the 'musical' setup. Also trying to get in on the modulor order, sent him a PM hopefully I'll get a reply before the window closes.

Couple of questions:
I bent one of the protrusions on the circular clips and think it may be compromised, I've put it back together with glue but I don't know... Any place to order a set?
With the dust cloth off... can one use canned air to clean them out once every couple of months?
 

post #143 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 

Jerg you are the man!! Just popped off the grills and running them open and the SQ has increased noticeably! I'm at the shop right plugged to system here, can't wait it take it back home and have a go with the 'musical' setup. Also trying to get in on the modulor order, sent him a PM hopefully I'll get a reply before the window closes.

Couple of questions:
I bent one of the protrusions on the circular clips and think it may be compromised, I've put it back together with glue but I don't know... Any place to order a set?
With the dust cloth off... can one use canned air to clean them out once every couple of months?
 

 

I have asked all of these questions and they have been answered for me by Jerg and Modulor long ago. I broke one clip on both rings, and by contacting Head-Direct you can order a pair for $5. Shipping will be nearly $10 from China to wherever you live, so a total of $15 + $5 more for each extra pair. With the dust cloth off, I asked Jerg and he told me that with an air can you can spray from about 1ft away. I'd be careful though as I realized that even using my lungs I can move the driver with little force. He says he dusts them a couple times per year.

post #144 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Finished my Grill mod, and I also replaced the earpad dust cover with ultra sheer pantyhose. Not bad, eh? Jerg mods next! biggrin.gif

Hellz yeah dude.  Thanks for the tip, it took a couple stores but I think I mustve found the exact same grills.  Not the sturdiest, I might try a trash can too.  These really sound great so much more air to grill ratio than anything else I can across and nearly bought while I was desperately searching for this grill.  I left the dust covers off, I plan to make a couple different sets with different colors and nylon on/off.  Heck I bought 3 grills and you can make 6 out of 1 if you really want too.

 

Im kind of digging the silver on silver with the driver in the back ground since I dont have nylons its free air.  The only things Im wondering, does everyone's driver have that ****ty looking glue on it?  Thats all that really sucks.  Who's pair had the felt star in it?  That was pretty friggin cool, I want one kind of...only cuz of that damn glue though..=(


Edited by ComradeDylie - 10/4/13 at 9:37pm
post #145 of 327

I'm having a heck of a time finding the right kind of grill for this project.  Someone could make a few quick bucks cutting these out en masse and selling to unhandy people such as myself!  :confused_face:

post #146 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post

I'm having a heck of a time finding the right kind of grill for this project.  Someone could make a few quick bucks cutting these out en masse and selling to unhandy people such as myself!  confused_face.gif

+1 or maybe even a picture instructional like jerg and modulor have done with pads
post #147 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post


+1 or maybe even a picture instructional like jerg and modulor have done with pads

+2

post #148 of 327
Ive got an extra grill/can easily buy more. If you guys want i can supply the grills if you have wire cutters (smaller the better). I guess itd be $2+shipping.
post #149 of 327

I really want a grill like nk77's! It looks very open yet protective and clean looking. Very nice

post #150 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

I really want a grill like nk77's! It looks very open yet protective and clean looking. Very nice

 

I would sooner try something like Brunk's. But mine were cut out from one of those thin alloy basket/trash cans I found at the folk's house. I covered the circular cutouts with some cardboard....I hope they didn't notice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod =