Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Anything more neutral than the MDR-V6 for $170 budget?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anything more neutral than the MDR-V6 for $170 budget? - Page 4

post #46 of 61
Thread Starter 

Bump. :)

post #47 of 61

Hi,

 

The KRK-KNS8400 are very durable, so the KRK KNS-6400 should be just as durable. They can really take a beating, but please don't do that. They will weep if you toss them asunder.. if that makes sense!?!?!/

post #48 of 61
Thread Starter 

Haha nah man I'll care for them like my own children, I was just wondering if it'll do retarded things like the HD280s and break from normal usage.

Thanks btw.

Oh and just out of curiosity, any idea why KRK made the 8400 less neutral than the 6400s? It seems the 8400s are much more bassy?

post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva108 View Post

 


@Acix, Thanks mate, but semi open won't do since I need all the isolation I can get.

 

 

In this case you can try out the GMP 8.35 D monitor, but new it can be a bit above your budget. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

post #50 of 61
Thread Starter 

Way out of my budget man. Since $170 is the absolute maximum I can spend.

post #51 of 61

I've been listening to the AKG K271 today and it is an awesome headphone. I bought my first pair over three months ago and they had a channel imbalance so I returned them the next day. Man, too bad I waited so long to replace them. 

 

The K271 is more neutral to my ears than the V6, Brainwavz HM5, and KRK 8400. Plus the soundstage is nice and slightly airy for closed headphones. Some people think the K271 is bass light, I'm not one of them. The bass is just right and perfectly controlled to me. 

 

The only thing I like more with the V6 is the way it handles drums. The K271 sounds more accurate, but the V6 has a fun slightly boosted drum sound. 

 

You should try the K271 if you want neutral headphones.

post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva108 View Post

Oh and just out of curiosity, any idea why KRK made the 8400 less neutral than the 6400s? It seems the 8400s are much more bassy?

The 8400 is more neutral than the 6400. This is just an example of how graphs can mislead. 

post #53 of 61

Hi,

 

Actually the KNS-8400 is more neutral, but can be a bit bright. I recommended the KNS-6400 because it sounds more balanced. The KNS-8400 is a lot more detailed but also has less midrange and bass.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva108 View Post

Haha nah man I'll care for them like my own children, I was just wondering if it'll do retarded things like the HD280s and break from normal usage.

Thanks btw.

Oh and just out of curiosity, any idea why KRK made the 8400 less neutral than the 6400s? It seems the 8400s are much more bassy?

post #54 of 61
Thread Starter 

Is there any difference between the graphs at Headroom and Innerfidelity? I know that the measuring for Headroom is done by Tyll, but are they the same measurements included in the datasheets at Innerfidelity?

post #55 of 61
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #56 of 61

I believe that they are different. Not sure if Tyll still does measurements for them either.

There are also many other sites with measurements on them that you can consult, fe. golden ears.

 

Also, keep in mind that the dummy head is an imperfect listener since our earlobes significantly change the sound and the dummy head can't model that with any real accuracy. This is why some measurements are quite inaccurate or misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva108 View Post

Is there any difference between the graphs at Headroom and Innerfidelity? I know that the measuring for Headroom is done by Tyll, but are they the same measurements included in the datasheets at Innerfidelity?

post #57 of 61
Thread Starter 

I remember reading that the only difference is the scale and that Headroom basically just averages the graphs at Innerfidelity and displays them. Can anyone confirm this please?

post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva108 View Post

I remember reading that the only difference is the scale and that Headroom basically just averages the graphs at Innerfidelity and displays them. Can anyone confirm this please?

 

I'm with jupitreas, I'd be surprised if Tyll is still doing the measurements for Headroom but I'm not sure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

I believe that they are different. Not sure if Tyll still does measurements for them either.

There are also many other sites with measurements on them that you can consult, fe. golden ears.

 

Also, keep in mind that the dummy head is an imperfect listener since our earlobes significantly change the sound and the dummy head can't model that with any real accuracy. This is why some measurements are quite inaccurate or misleading.

 

Tyll's dummy was designed using government data to have the exact ears and ear lobes of the average human ear. :) But you're right, it still varies from person to person.

post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Tyll's dummy was designed using government data to have the exact ears and ear lobes of the average human ear. :) But you're right, it still varies from person to person.

But some headphones, such as Ultrasone headphones and the ATH-M50, use a tilted driver position in order to better use our earlobes. This gives us a feeling of bigger soundstage and doesn't sound bad, but I've found that graphs for Ultrasone headphones are often really quite all over the place, something that I don't hear when listening to them. I simply think that the dummy is not great at measuring these types of headphones, but it is probably more accurate with normal drivers and earcup designs.

post #60 of 61

i'm not very sure but you might be able to land an akg k501 for that budget.. even though i've not heard them they are supposed to have a class leading sound and often compared to the higher k701 ...

 

however if you really don't want a great departure from the v6 signature i would suggest you listen to the zx 700 by sony ... they are kind of in the same league but a bit more isolation 

however they sound real SH***y for certain genres like d&b

 

another idea would be to look into superlux cans .. they have quite a few in the flat FR department

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Anything more neutral than the MDR-V6 for $170 budget?