Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Anything more neutral than the MDR-V6 for $170 budget?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anything more neutral than the MDR-V6 for $170 budget? - Page 3

post #31 of 61

FR graphs for mids and treble are usually pretty similar with the different testing methods, but sometimes we don't hear it the same. I agree it can help tell us when a headphone has huge spikes and dips usually.  But I will not ever trust a FR graph for bass response. That is one frequency that will always confuse me. Listening to the headphones is the best way in the end.

 

The FR graph on the page below is similar to Tyll's 8400 graph:

 

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=8400&document_srl=9213

 

I still didn't hear that big of a hump on the KRK though.tongue_smile.gif


Edited by staticfi - 7/21/12 at 12:26pm
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticfi View Post

FR graphs for mids and treble are usually pretty similar with the different testing methods, but sometimes we don't hear it the same. I agree it can help tell us when a headphone has huge spikes and dips usually.  But I will not ever trust a FR graph for bass response. That is one frequency that will always confuse me. Listening to the headphones is the best way in the end.

 

Agreed. Bass response measurements seem a bit flaky. Probably due to the factors that effect it and can be different for every listener (clamping force effected by head size for example).

post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by staticfi View Post

 

The FR graph on the page below is similar to Tyll's 8400 graph:

 

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=8400&document_srl=9213

 

I still didn't hear that big of a hump on the KRK though.tongue_smile.gif

 

That's only a 5db hump which probably isn't very noticeable as far as bass response goes.

post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticfi View Post

I found a 7506 graph with the dip:

 

 

700

 

 

K271 graph from the same site:

 

700

 

 

The first k271 graph I've seen without a huge bass drop off. I also found three different graphs for the K601 and all of them look similar. Then I realized a lot of open headphones are similar in graphs on different sites, but closed headphones can differ greatly, especially in the bass frequencies.

That's the graph I was referring too. That's almost exactly how I hear them. Lots of people hear a boost in the upper mids/treble, but very few have commented on the upper bass valley. I find that almost as annoying as the boost in the high end. I read a whole lot of people commenting on how neutral the shure 840's are, yet the graph I saw is pretty far from neutral, so I DO believe that graphs are very prone to errors. http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=283&graphID%5B1%5D=913&graphID%5B2%5D=2811&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

post #35 of 61

For whatever reason I don't hear the dip. I hear a little treble boost though.

 

Never heard the Shure. It is on the ever growing headphones to try list.

post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticfi View Post

For whatever reason I don't hear the dip. I hear a little treble boost though.

 

Never heard the Shure. It is on the ever growing headphones to try list.

I didn't hear it either until I compared them to other warmer phones like the k240. The 240S is the polar opposite to the v6 in that regards. They have a big broad boost where the v6 has a dip. For almost any genre I'd take the k240 over the v6 by a big margin. The hd580 is also much warmer in that frequency range, but not as much as the 240S.

post #37 of 61

KRK KNS-8400

post #38 of 61

Yo,

 

I'll toss in a vote for the KRK KNS-6400 and Shure SRH-440. Both are pretty neutral and have a rather flat sound. They have a bit more treble energy than what I would call neutral, but not bad.

 

The MDR-V6 sounded way too bright and the treble sounded like poo. They just sounded thin with very thin mids and not much bass.

post #39 of 61
Thread Starter 

Alright guys, after a LOT of intense graph comparisons between the 7506s and the KNS6400s, I've rounded off my options to either the 7506 or the KNS6400. They're pretty much neck and neck in the graphs (from HeadRoom).

 

So, now my deciding factors are: detail, clarity, comfort, imaging, soundstage, fatigue, durability and isolation.

 

So any input on these areas of the 7506s and the 6400s will really help.

Thanks again for the help. regular_smile%20.gif

 

Edit: The 50Hz square wave chart of the two:

 

 

700

I just learned how to interpret this chart, and so I may be wrong (please do correct me if I'm wrong), but the 7506s seem to be much better at this test than the 6400s. Am I correct?

 

One other thing, does the KRK need an amp to sound good? I know its unnecessary for the V6s.


Edited by Siva108 - 7/22/12 at 1:36am
post #40 of 61

Not sure about the square wave charts.

 

At the frequency (+/- 200Hz range) the dip will just make the sound a bit 'cold'. Humps in that range will sound 'warm'. The dip makes it easier to concentrate on other sounds.

I would go with the 7506, but it might take some time to adjust to the sound. Give them about 2 weeks

 

I wish they made the HD280 more durable. It has a very neutral sound with a slight treble roll-off and goes deeper than the 7506:

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2361


Edited by LithosZA - 7/22/12 at 5:00am
post #41 of 61
Thread Starter 

Dips? You mean in the FR graphs?

 

As for the 280s, I really don't know what Sennheiser was thinking. I mean I wouldn't spend all that money on a pair of headphones that breaks so easily, not to mention, clamp so hard that the listener's eyeballs pop out. tongue_smile.gif

post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva108 View Post

Dips? You mean in the FR graphs?

 

As for the 280s, I really don't know what Sennheiser was thinking. I mean I wouldn't spend all that money on a pair of headphones that breaks so easily, not to mention, clamp so hard that the listener's eyeballs pop out. tongue_smile.gif

I think he's referring to the dip in the 200 hz frequency area that make the v6 sound quite cold relative to the k240s which has a big rise in that area. They are VERY different sounding phones for sure. Unfortunately the 240 is semi open or they would be my first recommendation out of all the phones I've heard....those or the 142hd.  But that's subjective in part, whether you prefer warm over cold. Aside from the warm vs. cold, the AKG's are much better sounding phones, imo.

post #43 of 61
IME both cans don't NEED an amp but do scale and sound much better with one.
Edited by roma101 - 7/22/12 at 8:43am
post #44 of 61

The K-240MKll @ 55ohm, can be a good option.

post #45 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

I think he's referring to the dip in the 200 hz frequency area that make the v6 sound quite cold relative to the k240s which has a big rise in that area. They are VERY different sounding phones for sure. Unfortunately the 240 is semi open or they would be my first recommendation out of all the phones I've heard....those or the 142hd.  But that's subjective in part, whether you prefer warm over cold. Aside from the warm vs. cold, the AKG's are much better sounding phones, imo.


Ohh I see. Yeah man semi-open won't cut it.

 

Btw does 'warm' mean the FR line being above the reference and 'cold' mean it being below the reference?

 

@roma, How much better are we talking? Is the difference in sound worth the cost of an amp?

 

@Acix, Thanks mate, but semi open won't do since I need all the isolation I can get.

 

Anyone know how durable the KNS6400s are?

 

Oh and just wanted to add that I truly appreciate all the help. You guys are a very kind bunch. Thanks again for everything. regular_smile%20.gif


Edited by Siva108 - 7/22/12 at 9:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Anything more neutral than the MDR-V6 for $170 budget?