I'm leaning more towards ATH-M50 but most of my friends recommend Sennheiser. CAn someone tell me the pros and cons of both headphones and if I choose to buy either one of them what will i miss that i can get from the other one? Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- A True Test by Musician... ATH-M50 vs SR60i vs HD280 vs MDR-V6 vs SRH440, vs ??? Last post on 10/5/13 at 2:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 vs ATH EWS9A vsSENN 280pro vs gradosr80/allisandro ms1 Last post on 10/1/11 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Sennheiser HD280 vs ATH-M50 Last post on 8/17/11 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica M50 bass problem? Last post on 5/26/11 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50?post #1 of 107/19/12 at 10:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/19/12 at 10:27pmI just got the m50's and I have had the Hd 280 pros for about two years. For me the m50's sound much better. On the other hand I will sell you my very good condition hd 280's for $55 if you would like to try them.post #3 of 107/19/12 at 10:46pmThread Starterpost #4 of 107/19/12 at 11:37pm
I've owned both. I'd say out of the two the ATH-M50 destroys it in terms of comfort and sound quality. Do not get the HD-280. They clamp so hard on your head as if Sennheiser wants you to die from them. For the price the ATH-M50 is very good. Unfortunately right now I am not happy with them. After listening to other better cans, I just cant handle the sound coming out of the ATH-M50's.post #5 of 107/21/12 at 12:27amThread Starterok i got BOTH headphones today cus the senns are $55 XD and the ATH-M50 i got for $107 and i must say, ATH-M50 IS THE BEST HEADPHONE I'VE EVER LISTENED TO!!!!! its loud, clear, cord isnt as long as the HD280's, does not smell like rubber like HD280, most of my favorite songs sounds better on it, and its made from my homeland! Senn's are GOOD, ATH-M50's are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!post #6 of 1011/22/12 at 10:39am
I was planning to get the ATH-50 for both music and gaming but some members stated that the ATH-50 doesn't have a good sound stage so it wouldn't translate well for gaming my question is. How is the 280 Pro sound stage in comparisons to the sound stage of the ATH-50?post #7 of 1011/22/12 at 11:27ampost #8 of 104/21/13 at 1:03pm
I have owned the HD280's for a while and recently purchased a pair of ATH-M50's. It isn't even close. The bass on the M50's is awful... that is to say it is boosted and sloppy compared to the Sennheiser's. People will like it if they like that sort of thing but they were useless to me for mixing music. Maybe I just got a bad pair but my studio monitors and the Sennheisers showed a very clean and controlled bass for the material I was listening to. The M50's did not. It was about as night and day a comparison as one could imagine when listening side by side. I was very disappointed since I was primed to really like the M50's and had gotten them at a good price.
I have them sitting in a box waiting for the UPS man to pick them up today and ran across this thread as I was looking for a replacement for them.post #9 of 105/18/13 at 12:40pmQuote:
Can anybody else confirm that opinion about the ATH-M50s? I just read so many glowing reviews and recommendations for them, such as the "best headphones under $500" list by one website, etc. Previously I had decided to go with the Sony MDR-V6 (only $59 on Amazon ATM). But, it seemed that the general consensus was the M50's are better...
I have a pair of the classic AKG 340's, but I want something a little lighter and cheaper, but good sounding, for PC/Gaming use.
One guy was saying that he evaluated Sony MDR-7506 headphones (a slightly different version of the MDR-V6) and they were some of the most natural, flat, uncolored, and realistic sounding headphones he'd ever heard. Perhaps there is variation in quality control? Seems like if there was a pair of headphones that really sounded like "the real thing" there wouldn't be so much discrepancy between different people's reviews...post #10 of 105/18/13 at 12:47pm
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 21 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 31 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 34 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 58 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- It's Official! 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen preview world-tour--open for application until 7th... 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica CKX Information & Reviews Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Cables (Toslink and Optical) 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3