I'm leaning more towards ATH-M50 but most of my friends recommend Sennheiser. CAn someone tell me the pros and cons of both headphones and if I choose to buy either one of them what will i miss that i can get from the other one? Thanks!
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/6/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 3/6/13
- productSennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- A True Test by Musician... ATH-M50 vs SR60i vs HD280 vs MDR-V6 vs SRH440, vs ??? Last post on 10/5/13 at 2:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Sennheiser HD280 vs ATH-M50 Last post on 8/17/11 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- A quick "Thanks" and short comparison of ATH-M50 vs. HD 280pro Last post on 4/5/11 at 9:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me figure out what to buy? Last post on 9/2/10 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50?post #1 of 107/19/12 at 10:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/19/12 at 10:27pmI just got the m50's and I have had the Hd 280 pros for about two years. For me the m50's sound much better. On the other hand I will sell you my very good condition hd 280's for $55 if you would like to try them.post #3 of 107/19/12 at 10:46pmThread Starterpost #4 of 107/19/12 at 11:37pm
I've owned both. I'd say out of the two the ATH-M50 destroys it in terms of comfort and sound quality. Do not get the HD-280. They clamp so hard on your head as if Sennheiser wants you to die from them. For the price the ATH-M50 is very good. Unfortunately right now I am not happy with them. After listening to other better cans, I just cant handle the sound coming out of the ATH-M50's.post #5 of 107/21/12 at 12:27amThread Starterok i got BOTH headphones today cus the senns are $55 XD and the ATH-M50 i got for $107 and i must say, ATH-M50 IS THE BEST HEADPHONE I'VE EVER LISTENED TO!!!!! its loud, clear, cord isnt as long as the HD280's, does not smell like rubber like HD280, most of my favorite songs sounds better on it, and its made from my homeland! Senn's are GOOD, ATH-M50's are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!post #6 of 1011/22/12 at 10:39am
I was planning to get the ATH-50 for both music and gaming but some members stated that the ATH-50 doesn't have a good sound stage so it wouldn't translate well for gaming my question is. How is the 280 Pro sound stage in comparisons to the sound stage of the ATH-50?post #7 of 1011/22/12 at 11:27ampost #8 of 104/21/13 at 1:03pm
I have owned the HD280's for a while and recently purchased a pair of ATH-M50's. It isn't even close. The bass on the M50's is awful... that is to say it is boosted and sloppy compared to the Sennheiser's. People will like it if they like that sort of thing but they were useless to me for mixing music. Maybe I just got a bad pair but my studio monitors and the Sennheisers showed a very clean and controlled bass for the material I was listening to. The M50's did not. It was about as night and day a comparison as one could imagine when listening side by side. I was very disappointed since I was primed to really like the M50's and had gotten them at a good price.
I have them sitting in a box waiting for the UPS man to pick them up today and ran across this thread as I was looking for a replacement for them.post #9 of 105/18/13 at 12:40pmQuote:
Can anybody else confirm that opinion about the ATH-M50s? I just read so many glowing reviews and recommendations for them, such as the "best headphones under $500" list by one website, etc. Previously I had decided to go with the Sony MDR-V6 (only $59 on Amazon ATM). But, it seemed that the general consensus was the M50's are better...
I have a pair of the classic AKG 340's, but I want something a little lighter and cheaper, but good sounding, for PC/Gaming use.
One guy was saying that he evaluated Sony MDR-7506 headphones (a slightly different version of the MDR-V6) and they were some of the most natural, flat, uncolored, and realistic sounding headphones he'd ever heard. Perhaps there is variation in quality control? Seems like if there was a pair of headphones that really sounded like "the real thing" there wouldn't be so much discrepancy between different people's reviews...post #10 of 105/18/13 at 12:47pm
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 14 seconds ago
- › Comparison / Review : Beyerdynamic’s Siblings – The Classic DT880... 38 seconds ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impression and... 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 2 minutes ago
- › What amp to get for the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros? 4 minutes ago
- › My friend's wife yelled at me. 4 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)