I'm leaning more towards ATH-M50 but most of my friends recommend Sennheiser. CAn someone tell me the pros and cons of both headphones and if I choose to buy either one of them what will i miss that i can get from the other one? Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- A True Test by Musician... ATH-M50 vs SR60i vs HD280 vs MDR-V6 vs SRH440, vs ??? Last post on 10/5/13 at 2:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 vs ATH EWS9A vsSENN 280pro vs gradosr80/allisandro ms1 Last post on 10/1/11 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Sennheiser HD280 vs ATH-M50 Last post on 8/17/11 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica M50 bass problem? Last post on 5/26/11 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 7/14/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50?post #1 of 107/19/12 at 10:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/19/12 at 10:27pmI just got the m50's and I have had the Hd 280 pros for about two years. For me the m50's sound much better. On the other hand I will sell you my very good condition hd 280's for $55 if you would like to try them.post #3 of 107/19/12 at 10:46pmThread Starterpost #4 of 107/19/12 at 11:37pm
I've owned both. I'd say out of the two the ATH-M50 destroys it in terms of comfort and sound quality. Do not get the HD-280. They clamp so hard on your head as if Sennheiser wants you to die from them. For the price the ATH-M50 is very good. Unfortunately right now I am not happy with them. After listening to other better cans, I just cant handle the sound coming out of the ATH-M50's.post #5 of 107/21/12 at 12:27amThread Starterok i got BOTH headphones today cus the senns are $55 XD and the ATH-M50 i got for $107 and i must say, ATH-M50 IS THE BEST HEADPHONE I'VE EVER LISTENED TO!!!!! its loud, clear, cord isnt as long as the HD280's, does not smell like rubber like HD280, most of my favorite songs sounds better on it, and its made from my homeland! Senn's are GOOD, ATH-M50's are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!post #6 of 1011/22/12 at 10:39am
I was planning to get the ATH-50 for both music and gaming but some members stated that the ATH-50 doesn't have a good sound stage so it wouldn't translate well for gaming my question is. How is the 280 Pro sound stage in comparisons to the sound stage of the ATH-50?post #7 of 1011/22/12 at 11:27ampost #8 of 104/21/13 at 1:03pm
I have owned the HD280's for a while and recently purchased a pair of ATH-M50's. It isn't even close. The bass on the M50's is awful... that is to say it is boosted and sloppy compared to the Sennheiser's. People will like it if they like that sort of thing but they were useless to me for mixing music. Maybe I just got a bad pair but my studio monitors and the Sennheisers showed a very clean and controlled bass for the material I was listening to. The M50's did not. It was about as night and day a comparison as one could imagine when listening side by side. I was very disappointed since I was primed to really like the M50's and had gotten them at a good price.
I have them sitting in a box waiting for the UPS man to pick them up today and ran across this thread as I was looking for a replacement for them.post #9 of 105/18/13 at 12:40pmQuote:
Can anybody else confirm that opinion about the ATH-M50s? I just read so many glowing reviews and recommendations for them, such as the "best headphones under $500" list by one website, etc. Previously I had decided to go with the Sony MDR-V6 (only $59 on Amazon ATM). But, it seemed that the general consensus was the M50's are better...
I have a pair of the classic AKG 340's, but I want something a little lighter and cheaper, but good sounding, for PC/Gaming use.
One guy was saying that he evaluated Sony MDR-7506 headphones (a slightly different version of the MDR-V6) and they were some of the most natural, flat, uncolored, and realistic sounding headphones he'd ever heard. Perhaps there is variation in quality control? Seems like if there was a pair of headphones that really sounded like "the real thing" there wouldn't be so much discrepancy between different people's reviews...post #10 of 105/18/13 at 12:47pm
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 47 seconds ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 1 minute ago
- › Cleanest treble in an IEM (non CIEM)? 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 4 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C10 new device - unboxing now 4 minutes ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 6 minutes ago
- › Reviewers wanted - Sound Blaster products 8 minutes ago
- › 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet @ LiveSoundWave in Orlando 8.1.2015 9 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 10 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3