I have been looking for the right headphone for quite some time and I'm abusing the leniency of Best Buys return policy. I am looking for an over ear headphone. I would like Noise Canceling (but I would like them to work without a battery if it runs out or its not on), a single removable 3.5 cord coming from only one side of the headphones, heavy on the bass (a lot of music going through the headphones will be rap), over-ear pads, and must sound good without an amp (they will be run through a phone or laptop). Under $400. Minus the negative connotation with Beats, I like the amount of bass on the Pro's. Help, I need advice, I don't where else to go.
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- categoryNoise Cancelingtagged by System, 7/20/12
- productPhilips Fidelio L1tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productPSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSennheiser PXC 450 Active Noise-Canceling Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 7/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Noise Reduction Headphones Last post on 8/6/12 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Noise Cancelling Headphone Dilema Last post on 8/17/12 at 9:38pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Traveling Headphones.-Update- Would like some NC headphones instead Last post on 6/29/13 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BOSE QC15 VS ANYTHING ELSE? Last post on 8/11/11 at 8:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some extra advice/suggestions (Looking at Grado SR80i & more) Last post on 12/27/12 at 6:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Confusingly, I think Sennheiser is rebranding the Momentum In-Ear (M2 IEi) headphones as HD 1 In-Ear – specifications and appearance are identical. I bought these when my Klipsch S4i started...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
The detail, imaging, and sound-staging are accurate and bring your headphones the neutral platform they need in order to perform the way their engineers intended. The DAC is the high point of...
I am on my last straw...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 167/19/12 at 9:42pmpost #3 of 167/19/12 at 9:46pmThread Starterpost #4 of 167/19/12 at 10:31pmpost #5 of 167/19/12 at 10:41pmQuote:
I second this thought. The multi-IEM threads should make it somewhat easier to sort out the brands per price and type.post #6 of 167/20/12 at 6:42amThread Starterpost #7 of 167/20/12 at 6:50am
i dont think what you are looking for exists, i think the only noise cancelling headphone that can play without batteries is sennheiser pxc450 which will be within your budget but lacks bass quantity, i owned it so i know. and i had an ipod nano 6g and it doesnt have enough power to drive it. your phone and laptop will probably do fine and it does have a single sided detachable 3.5mm cable. i personally would suggest you to get a regular closed back headphone that isolates noise well. also pxc450's noise cancellation is not too good, bose qc15 has much better noise cancellation, you can demo it in best buy. good luckpost #8 of 167/20/12 at 7:35am
Not many choices in noise canceling headphones, that alone limits your options quite a bit. If you are willing to go with a good noise isolating headphones you have a lot more to choose from.
Mind telling us why you want noise canceling specifically, as I can tell you a good pair of closed headphones can isolate a significant amount of noise. I can tell you from experience that a good set of closed headphones or IEM's will isolate well enough that I can't hear people chatting up a storm right next to me on a flight or a long car ride when I play my music at a low volume and can't barely hear them with the music off.post #9 of 167/20/12 at 9:06amThread Starterpost #10 of 167/20/12 at 11:34ampost #11 of 167/20/12 at 12:23pmpost #12 of 167/20/12 at 5:38pmpost #13 of 167/20/12 at 6:47pmpost #14 of 167/20/12 at 7:11pm
- I am on my last straw...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Need some help choosing good all round IEM's 3 minutes ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 5 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear