- 7,206 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best upgrade for me? Coming from K701 and D5000 Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Is the HD 650 for me? Last post on 7/24/12 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled! Last post on 5/25/16 at 12:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I spent a week with the OPPO PM-3 through the head-fi loaner program, and got the chance to try them out on a variety of pieces. 99% of my headphone listening is classical music of one type or...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
HD 650 vs shure SRH1440 - Page 2post #16 of 348/16/12 at 9:24pmI have seen that mod but like the 1440 unmodded so haven't tried it. But may do it some day.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 348/16/12 at 9:28pmThread StarterQuote:
I have one additional question, does the srh1440 seem less airy or less open than other headphones such as the hd600? Is it a fairly big problem?post #18 of 348/16/12 at 11:10pmpost #19 of 348/16/12 at 11:15pmpost #20 of 348/17/12 at 8:34amI would say neither one is balanced since the HD600 is a bit veiled in the mids while the 1440 is forward in the mids. But given the OP's music criteria I think the forward mids of the 1440 along with better drum kit reproduction in my opinion will suite him better.
In any case either one will likely give the OP tons of musical blisspost #21 of 348/17/12 at 8:41am
I'd probably get the HD600. Its midrange was not veiled at all when listening to it. I have not listened to the 1440, but its total harmonic distortion is above 1% from about 1500hz and under. That's not high fidelity at all.post #22 of 348/17/12 at 9:11amI guess we all don't hear the same to me the HD600 had a slight veil in the mids.
As for using graphs vs actual experience. On paper bumblebee's shouldn't be able to fly but in the real world they do just fine...
But I repeat, either headphone will give the OP plenty musical enjoyment.post #23 of 348/17/12 at 10:21ampost #24 of 348/17/12 at 10:53amFrom a brief listen to the 880 I would say brightest treble would be 880 then 1440 then HD600. I can't remember the 880 well enough to comment on their bass but between the HD600 and 1440 I would have to give the nod to the HD600 for quantity and a tie for quality. In my case my music is not focused on bass to much so works great with the 1440 but if you want more bass or a laid back sound the HD600 is a better option.post #25 of 348/17/12 at 1:14pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by dweaver
From a brief listen to the 880 I would say brightest treble would be 880 then 1440 then HD600. I can't remember the 880 well enough to comment on their bass but between the HD600 and 1440 I would have to give the nod to the HD600 for quantity and a tie for quality. In my case my music is not focused on bass to much so works great with the 1440 but if you want more bass or a laid back sound the HD600 is a better option.
Why do you consider the hd600 laid back? Is it cause the treble is not as bright? Honestly, I very much enjoy forward mids and vocals but I prefer a smoother treble over a bright/piercing one...post #26 of 348/17/12 at 2:05pmpost #27 of 348/17/12 at 2:09pmThe 1440 is brighter but not piercing for my usage. I think the difference between laid back and more energetic is one addressed by volume levels. I listen at low to medium volumes and find the 1440 is energetic at this volumes while the HD600 is more laid back. But at mid to high volume levels the 1440 becomes to aggressive while the HD600 hits it's best dynamic range.post #28 of 348/17/12 at 2:18pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by dweaver
The 1440 is brighter but not piercing for my usage. I think the difference between laid back and more energetic is one addressed by volume levels. I listen at low to medium volumes and find the 1440 is energetic at this volumes while the HD600 is more laid back. But at mid to high volume levels the 1440 becomes to aggressive while the HD600 hits it's best dynamic range.
I listen to music at mid to high volumes (not dangerously high). Coming from the m50, will the HD600 give me that WOW feeling? btw what does it mean when a headphone is dynamic?post #29 of 348/17/12 at 2:19pmLOL TMRaven we are agreeing on something and it brings up a very important point that the OP needs to think about. Volume levels are an important consideration to keep in mind. 1440 are good at lower volumes and HD600 are better at higher volumes.
- HD 650 vs shure SRH1440
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance 1 minute ago
- › S.M.S.L M3 Mini DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Meet the HD 598 Special Edition 4 minutes ago
- › Closed, over ear up to 150$ 4 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by gardibolt
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...