Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "First Look" at the NEW revised 2012 Beats by Dr Dre Beats Studio headphones unboxing video & impressions to come.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"First Look" at the NEW revised 2012 Beats by Dr Dre Beats Studio headphones unboxing video &... - Page 3

post #31 of 91
Thread Starter 

My T70 from Beyer for $599 was disappointing to be kind.  

Reply
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

My T70 from Beyer for $599 was disappointing to be kind.  

 

and my T50p....rolleyes.gif

 

i do have a kind streak. dt770/600 is glorious. i seriously LIKE this can...

for classicals when my angel is next to me watching her tv.

 

==========================================================

 

ok awaiting your unbias brutal free firing reviews...!!

tongue.gif

post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

I think I'm gonna pretend I never saw this thread.

 

I honestly do not think it is ok for users to be going on like Beats makes acceptable products, it sends the wrong message to newbies, and many members have worked hard to cover every inch of this place with "beats is crap" so that even on a quick google search inexperienced users will know. 

 

The facts are, they are overpriced, have subpar sound quality for even half the retail price, have grossly subpar build quality.

 

We should not feel sorry for beats or monster, they made crap and made lots of money off of it, now the people that wise up shouldn't question if we have overreacted, because we haven't.

 

I'm not bashing beats here in particular I'm bashing the idea that these sub par products should even get a slightly lenient review. 

 

Hifiguy, as a reviewer I'm sure you review whatever comes your way, but I urge you to be careful, just because the brand is nice to you, does not mean you need to suck up to them to say thanks, be honest, or someone else will, and you will lose your credibility.

 

My biased unrelenting advice, place the following line in the initial post. "Although beats generally make seriously sub par products, I am presented with the opportunity to objectively review some of there newer products."

 

Or something to that extent

 

Peace

I own head-fi approved headphones like Grado 325i, K550, and miles davis tribute, I also own beats pro. I find myself constantly putting the beats pro on because I ENJOY the music, I find myself listening to the headphones rather than the music with some of my other sets. I appreciate the reviews of the new products because Beats has the chance to step up the build quality and keep the fun colored sound that many people obviously enjoy. If the build quality of beats becomes acceptable under the new production outside Monster, they are simply overpriced for their sound quality....much like Bose, Bowers Wilkins, Some Senns, Most every Shure, etc. Not everyone wants to hear a newly mixed recording (made on mostly digital equipment with pumped frequencies already) on an analytical audiophile set up. Simply put, the actual quality of most new popular music today is enhanced by a beats style sound signature. 

post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadhifi View Post

Chill... 

 

Huh? WiR3D very calmly (and eloquently might I add) explained his concerns on this topic and I must say, I agree with him. Funny how there are a lot of legitimate reasons for audiophiles to dislike the Beats and yet pointing these out is instantly considered "Beats bashing" and biased. That's nonsense. If this is an unbiased and objective thread then you're going to have to accept the educated opinions of all. That said, I too am interested in an unbiased, objective review of the new Beats as I am with any headphone that's out there and for the most part I trust HiFiGuy to give us that.

 

And I agree, there is some serious bromance going on in here which is fine but I don't think it adds anything of value to the discussion. To be brutally honest.....I consider it spam and it bugs me. But whatev.


Edited by devhen - 7/21/12 at 10:18am
post #35 of 91
Thread Starter 

I like to have an open mind when it comes to gear because you just don't know how good or bad something is until you tried it for yourself. 

 

Example, I have been a HUGE fan of McIntosh gear.  I've perhaps spent $100K on their stuff in my lifetime.  I am not going to be locked down to one or two brands because there are A LOT of GREAT new comers and old timers who has improved so much throughout the years.  Case in point would be Bryston Audio.  I didn't care for them too much 15 years ago, but today they are Top Notch and overly priced.


Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 7/21/12 at 9:49am
Reply
post #36 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I like to have an open mind when it comes to gear because you just don't know how good or bad something is until you tried it for yourself. 

 

Example, I have been a HUGE fan of McIntosh gear.  I've perhaps spent $100K on their stuff in my lifetime.  I am not going to be locked down to one or two brands because there are A LOT of GREAT new comers and old timers who has improved so much throughout the years.  Case in point would be Bryston Audio.  I didn't care for them too much 15 years ago, but today they are Top Notch and overly priced.


Yes it is very great to have a open mind to things, i love owning many Products and different brands instead of just the one.

So its great to see that you are reviewing many different Brands, don't worry about the negative comments as hate should just help you succeed in what you want to do.

post #37 of 91

so just thought i would ask again so will you review other Brands like SMS By 50 & Soul By Ludacris just wondering thats all ^_^

post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

I think I'm gonna pretend I never saw this thread.

 

I honestly do not think it is ok for users to be going on like Beats makes acceptable products, it sends the wrong message to newbies, and many members have worked hard to cover every inch of this place with "beats is crap" so that even on a quick google search inexperienced users will know. 

 

The facts are, they are overpriced, have subpar sound quality for even half the retail price, have grossly subpar build quality.

 

We should not feel sorry for beats or monster, they made crap and made lots of money off of it, now the people that wise up shouldn't question if we have overreacted, because we haven't.

 

I'm not bashing beats here in particular I'm bashing the idea that these sub par products should even get a slightly lenient review. 

 

Hifiguy, as a reviewer I'm sure you review whatever comes your way, but I urge you to be careful, just because the brand is nice to you, does not mean you need to suck up to them to say thanks, be honest, or someone else will, and you will lose your credibility.

 

My biased unrelenting advice, place the following line in the initial post. "Although beats generally make seriously sub par products, I am presented with the opportunity to objectively review some of there newer products."

 

Or something to that extent

 

Peace

It sounds to me you're commenting about the "counterfeit/fake Beats Pro" that is sold at $399.

 

For months, I have listened to my friend's genuine Beats Pro who bought from local BestBuy. From my listening experience, the Beats Pro is a very specific type of bass tuned headphone and it is not for audiophile. It is great for certain song/music such as Trance, Dance, Hip-Hop, Dr. Dre's music but all the song/music. It has a great build; it's aluminum body and leather headband & earpad.

 

Despite some people feel it is over priced, in general genuine Beats Pro is a great headphone if you know how to unleash its pontential and listen it with the right song/music.

 

Just my 2 cents.

post #39 of 91
Thread Starter 
[quote Despite some people feel it is over priced, in general genuine Beats Pro is a great headphone if you know how to unleash its pontential and listen it with the right song/music.

Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I agree!
Reply
post #40 of 91
Thread Starter 
I spent some time this weekend testing my new Solo HD. IMO, this is the hardest to drive Beats headphones. With a great amp this headphone is a serious bass machine. Stay tuned for my full review on the entire Beats line. 
Reply
post #41 of 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I spent some time this weekend testing my new Solo HD. IMO, this is the hardest to drive Beats headphones. With a great amp this headphone is a serious bass machine.

 

Wait, are you saying that its hard to get acceptable sound output out of an unamped SoloHD?  Or is this more of an observation about how amplification brings out details that would otherwise remain obscured?  To be fair, I didn't even think to hook it up to a decent amp during the time that I had it.  And for me, I never really had too much of an issue with volume - but that doesn't mean a whole lot as I tend to listen at very low volume anyway.  But if you mean general sound output then it doesn't exactly bode well for the unit does it?  I mean, if these are marketed (heavily I might add) as portables, and amplification is critical to it's performance level, then Beats seriously needs to consider what they might be doing wrong there (i.e. why the SoloHD is hurting efficiency-wise).

post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Huh? WiR3D very calmly (and eloquently might I add) explained his concerns on this topic and I must say, I agree with him. Funny how there are a lot of legitimate reasons for audiophiles to dislike the Beats and yet pointing these out is instantly considered "Beats bashing" and biased. That's nonsense. If this is an unbiased and objective thread then you're going to have to accept the educated opinions of all. That said, I too am interested in an unbiased, objective review of the new Beats as I am with any headphone that's out there and for the most part I trust HiFiGuy to give us that.

 

And I agree, there is some serious bromance going on in here which is fine but I don't think it adds anything of value to the discussion. To be brutally honest.....I consider it spam and it bugs me. But whatev.

This, thank you. but its about to get messier

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradsnake412 View Post

so just thought i would ask again so will you review other Brands like SMS By 50 & Soul By Ludacris just wondering thats all ^_^

Getting a sick feeling in my stomach after reading this. And I promise you I am not the only one.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

It sounds to me you're commenting about the "counterfeit/fake Beats Pro" that is sold at $399.

 

For months, I have listened to my friend's genuine Beats Pro who bought from local BestBuy. From my listening experience, the Beats Pro is a very specific type of bass tuned headphone and it is not for audiophile. It is great for certain song/music such as Trance, Dance, Hip-Hop, Dr. Dre's music but all the song/music. It has a great build; it's aluminum body and leather headband & earpad.

 

Despite some people feel it is over priced, in general genuine Beats Pro is a great headphone if you know how to unleash its pontential and listen it with the right song/music.

 

Just my 2 cents.

No, it will always be crap. You can get better quality from some sonys or ultrasones if bass is what you want, Or the LP2, there is no excuse to get them, they are overpriced and sound bad and thats it period. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adexec View Post

I own head-fi approved headphones like Grado 325i, K550, and miles davis tribute, I also own beats pro. I find myself constantly putting the beats pro on because I ENJOY the music, I find myself listening to the headphones rather than the music with some of my other sets. I appreciate the reviews of the new products because Beats has the chance to step up the build quality and keep the fun colored sound that many people obviously enjoy. If the build quality of beats becomes acceptable under the new production outside Monster, they are simply overpriced for their sound quality....much like Bose, Bowers Wilkins, Some Senns, Most every Shure, etc. Not everyone wants to hear a newly mixed recording (made on mostly digital equipment with pumped frequencies already) on an analytical audiophile set up. Simply put, the actual quality of most new popular music today is enhanced by a beats style sound signature. 

 

You almost got me angry there, but I get your point, I'm going to say again they are still ****, but I'm going to agree with you and help you out. You don't like the analytical nature of some headphones, and thats fair, you much prefer a more fun sound thats forgiving and doesn't reveal flaws in the music with a little more bass. You will absolutely love the Denon D2000. Seriously sell those crappy beats and do yourself a favour, you will never look back. Even the Denon D5000 if you can find it :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

[quote Despite some people feel it is over priced, in general genuine Beats Pro is a great headphone if you know how to unleash its pontential and listen it with the right song/music.
Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]
I agree!

NO, seriously I just lost respect for you. Carefully re-evaluate that statement, especially alongside some Denon D2000, and then get back to me. I'm getting less impressed by the things you say. And not because its a matter of personal preference, because it isn't, its getting to the point where your on the verge or actually recommending these things, which is unfathomable, and IMHO unforgivable as a reviewer. Slippery slope here.

 

 

 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I spent some time this weekend testing my new Solo HD. IMO, this is the hardest to drive Beats headphones. With a great amp this headphone is a serious bass machine. Stay tuned for my full review on the entire Beats line. 

Again still think its crap, get some XB500 and then tell me what a "serious bass machine" is.

So this is strike 3 with me disagreeing with you.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Wait, are you saying that its hard to get acceptable sound output out of an unamped SoloHD?  Or is this more of an observation about how amplification brings out details that would otherwise remain obscured?  To be fair, I didn't even think to hook it up to a decent amp during the time that I had it.  And for me, I never really had too much of an issue with volume - but that doesn't mean a whole lot as I tend to listen at very low volume anyway.  But if you mean general sound output then it doesn't exactly bode well for the unit does it?  I mean, if these are marketed (heavily I might add) as portables, and amplification is critical to it's performance level, then Beats seriously needs to consider what they might be doing wrong there (i.e. why the SoloHD is hurting efficiency-wise).

This comment I agree with and like. 

 

 

EDIT: I wish I could -1 posts


Edited by WiR3D - 7/22/12 at 2:03pm
post #43 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Wait, are you saying that its hard to get acceptable sound output out of an unamped SoloHD?  Or is this more of an observation about how amplification brings out details that would otherwise remain obscured?  To be fair, I didn't even think to hook it up to a decent amp during the time that I had it.  And for me, I never really had too much of an issue with volume - but that doesn't mean a whole lot as I tend to listen at very low volume anyway.  But if you mean general sound output then it doesn't exactly bode well for the unit does it?  I mean, if these are marketed (heavily I might add) as portables, and amplification is critical to it's performance level, then Beats seriously needs to consider what they might be doing wrong there (i.e. why the SoloHD is hurting efficiency-wise).

 

I was using my $1200 German made Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear amp (a neutral amp), on the MIXR & BeatsPro I got them to play pretty loud (beyond what I would listen at) with the volume knob at 12' o'clock.  On the Solo HD the volume knob was near 4 o'clock to get the same volume level.  I used the amp because I found the Solo HD to sound dull and muffled on my iPhone 4s.  Playing the same tracks through the Lehmann amp, the music came alive.  The bass on the Solo HD was hitting so hard my ear & lobs were vibrating.  I wanted to play it even louder, but I know I shouldn't due to the risk of hear damage.  The Solo HD did not distort at all at any levels when using my amp.  It was an eye opener so say the least.  

Reply
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Getting a sick feeling in my stomach after reading this. And I promise you I am not the only one.

Whats wrong with me asking him that question im not asking you so why try to answer the question

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

 

I was using my $1200 German made Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear amp (a neutral amp), on the MIXR & BeatsPro I got them to play pretty loud (beyond what I would listen at) with the volume knob at 12' o'clock.  On the Solo HD the volume knob was near 4 o'clock to get the same volume level.  I used the amp because I found the Solo HD to sound dull and muffled on my iPhone 4s.  Playing the same tracks through the Lehmann amp, the music came alive.  The bass on the Solo HD was hitting so hard my ear & lobs were vibrating.  I wanted to play it even louder, but I know I shouldn't due to the risk of hear damage.  The Solo HD did not distort at all at any levels when using my amp.  It was an eye opener so say the least.  

@HiFiGuy528 i did not know that the Solo HD could get that much bass from them ^_^ Good job.

post #45 of 91

BCL is one fine amp...my beats Ncredible sounds good on it too.

i find myself venturing into more serious music last nite with this combo during my prime listening time,

my hd600 wasnt too happy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "First Look" at the NEW revised 2012 Beats by Dr Dre Beats Studio headphones unboxing video & impressions to come.