Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for the next level in budget cans...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for the next level in budget cans...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Having little experience(or cash) with cans I bought the Panasonic RP-HTF600 and really enjoy them. I plan on giving these to my dad and wanted to know what the next step(small?) up in great budget cans is. $45 is my max. Like the bass and smooth highs of the HTF600's. Is there something a bit better in my price range? Thanks.

post #2 of 14

Look on the marketplace and use the filter. Everything there should be good to try, then you can see what you like. 

post #3 of 14

Check out the links to the buying guides and other articles in the opening post of this thread (which BTW is where your opening post should have been made):

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/16665#post_8545780

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post

Having little experience(or cash) with cans I bought the Panasonic RP-HTF600 and really enjoy them. I plan on giving these to my dad and wanted to know what the next step(small?) up in great budget cans is. $45 is my max. Like the bass and smooth highs of the HTF600's. Is there something a bit better in my price range? Thanks.

At $45, I doubt you'll find better headphones then the RP-HTF600-S.

how about buy another RP-HTF600-S and beyer EDT200 Velour ear pads for them.

post #5 of 14

The beyerdynamic DT 235 is in that price range but I don't know if it would be bassy enough for you coming from the HTF600. My girlfriend loves them. They pinch my big ears too much to enjoy. Nice sounding headphones for the price. 

post #6 of 14
I'd say save up a few more dollars and get an SR-60 (they're like $60 or $70).
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

I'd say save up a few more dollars and get an SR-60 (they're like $60 or $70).


Yeah, might have to do this,  how is the bass on the SR-60's?

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post


Yeah, might have to do this,  how is the bass on the SR-60's?

 

Not strong--they are not about bass.  They are about prominent mids--think guitars and vocals presented in your face.


Edited by KG Jag - 7/19/12 at 3:01pm
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

 

Not strong--they are not about bass.  They are about prominent mids--think guitars and vocals resented in your face.


Hmm. I may need something different as I would like some punch. Thanks for the info.

post #10 of 14

At under $50, I like the Superlux HD668B.  But they can be enemic on some devices unamped and are semi-open, so will leak some.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post


Yeah, might have to do this,  how is the bass on the SR-60's?

It's punchy and quick, but doesn't extend super deep. They aren't basshead cans.
post #12 of 14

I found the HTF600s to be very enjoyable.  You'd be hard-pressed to find another similar pair in the price range which does so many things right, unless you want to look for a very different sound signature.  I find the Philips Citiscape Uptowns to be an excellent upgrade, but they're $150.

post #13 of 14
Haven't heard those Panasonics, but you might also consider trying the Koss R/80.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

At under $50, I like the Superlux HD668B.  But they can be enemic on some devices unamped and are semi-open, so will leak some.

Thanks. I have just got into the full sized headphone game and am trying not to get fully sucked in with amps, etc but with my iphone as the source, that may have to happen sooner than I want.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for the next level in budget cans...