- 41 Posts. Joined 9/2003
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFiiO E10tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFiio E6 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Good/Cheap headphone amp for Sennheiser HD 439 Last post on 11/22/12 at 11:45am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Bass heavy headphones. Last post on 6/9/13 at 9:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Just For EXTREME HEAD-RATTLING Sub Bass Last post on 2/5/14 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First off, I got the E80 on loan from a generous fellow headfi'er. You know who you are. Thanks! I have absolutely no connection to SoundMagic and have no incentive to compose this review...
The Blackwood and Cherrywood side by side. Overall view of what this review consisted of. First of all, I’d like to thank Zach for supplying the Omni for this...
Everybody knows Sennheiser. They are doing great job at delivering good sound for all prices. I am doing this review with price factor in thought. First of all it is suprisingly detailed sounding...
Wow. There doesn’t seem to be a more appropriate way to word the beginning of this review, than to simply express my genuine surprise, and indeed – to a certain extent – admiration of the UMi Voix...
I bought the Q Audio French Silk balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-3's mainly because of the ergonomics and cool design/look over the stock cables. When running balanced, I doubted I would hear much...
- Headphone Impedance
Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The first thing you will want to do in order to get even more bass is to make sure you are listening to bass heavy music. Trying to squeeze bass from tracks that have no low extension is not going to yield more bass. It will however introduce distortion and other terrible artifacts that will not be very pleasant.
That said there are often two ways to improve bass extension. The first is improving the DAC section of the audio chain. This can improve bass by giving further accurate low frequency generation when the bass signal is present. If the DAC is rounding off the low end then the bass is being limited. I would expect most low cost soundcards and certainly many on-board soundcards to not have much bass at all.
The second method is by introducing an amp that has good control of the low end by having a deep mastery of frequencies lower than 100Hz. Not all amps do well with low frequencies. Having an amp with a low output impedance can help control low end distortion because of damping. See the speaker damping wiki for more details. Basically your headphone impedance divided by the output impedance of an amp needs to be over 10 if possible. For example if I use a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones that have an impedance of 25 Ohms then in order to meet the rule of 10 the output impedance of my amp should be 2.5 Ohms or less.
Headphone Impedance / Output impedance of amp must be 10 or greater
25 Ohms / 2.5 Ohms = 10
This shows how well the amp can control the drivers especially at the fundamental frequency which is almost always somewhere toward the bass frequencies.
I am guessing you are not currently using a nice soundcard? If not I suggest something like the Total Bithead from Headphone.com. The Bithead is built really well, time tested, works both on batteries and via USB power, serves as both a USB DAC and headphone amp. It should give your headphones and entire audio chain a nice kick.
I suggest Digizoid ZO2, 32-lvl bass boost adjustment. :P I think XB500 + ZO2 will leave your face shocked at how strong bass output a pair of headphone can do, when I had this combo lvl 2-3 was usually right, anything more was too bassy even as a basshead. :P
And if that's not enough a good quality EQ will also work, such as is bundled with Creative X-Fi cards.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 7/19/12 at 1:06pm
I want to preface this with the fact that I have NO knowledge about headphone amps/sound cards. I'm looking for something to use with my Sony XB500's to enhance their low end (playing with them on super bass tracks shows me that they have the ability to put out much, much more bass than I'm currently hearing). Will getting an amp solve this or are there some better eq's or soundcards out there that will accomplish this?
Your Sony XB500 are 40-Ohms and add-on sound cards will come with an impedance of 10-Ohm or higher.
So any sound card will automatically increase the bass on your XB500, just may not make a very good sounding bass.
Portable headphone amplifiers seem to come with a much lower impedance then sound cards or motherboards.
Something like the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier will enhance the over all sound quality, over whatever motherboard your plugging your XB500 directly into.
thanks all! Are there any good, inexpensive EQ's for headphones? I might pick up that Fiio E10 sometime, though it costs as much as the headphones :(. And that Z02 sounds exactly like what I want, but at $100 it's a it pricey..
Maybe get the Fiio E6 or a low cost cmoy headphone amplifier.
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Introducing the Brainwavz Jive earphones - Tuned to preform like a... 1 minute ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 2 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › BEST STEREO SHELF SYSTEM FOR HEADPHONES? 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › Mid-fi Challenger: Phillips Fidelio X2 Vs. Sennheiser HD650 4 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 4 minutes ago
- › Sad thred, need help 5 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by nmatheis
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by Jjacq
- › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II by Gonomon
- › UMI Voix Blu by Rashmosh
- › Q Cables by Mediahound
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3