- 41 Posts. Joined 9/2003
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFiiO e10tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFiio E6 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Good/Cheap headphone amp for Sennheiser HD 439 Last post on 11/22/12 at 11:45am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Bass heavy headphones. Last post on 6/9/13 at 9:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Just For EXTREME HEAD-RATTLING Sub Bass Last post on 2/5/14 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
- Headphone Impedance
Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The first thing you will want to do in order to get even more bass is to make sure you are listening to bass heavy music. Trying to squeeze bass from tracks that have no low extension is not going to yield more bass. It will however introduce distortion and other terrible artifacts that will not be very pleasant.
That said there are often two ways to improve bass extension. The first is improving the DAC section of the audio chain. This can improve bass by giving further accurate low frequency generation when the bass signal is present. If the DAC is rounding off the low end then the bass is being limited. I would expect most low cost soundcards and certainly many on-board soundcards to not have much bass at all.
The second method is by introducing an amp that has good control of the low end by having a deep mastery of frequencies lower than 100Hz. Not all amps do well with low frequencies. Having an amp with a low output impedance can help control low end distortion because of damping. See the speaker damping wiki for more details. Basically your headphone impedance divided by the output impedance of an amp needs to be over 10 if possible. For example if I use a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones that have an impedance of 25 Ohms then in order to meet the rule of 10 the output impedance of my amp should be 2.5 Ohms or less.
Headphone Impedance / Output impedance of amp must be 10 or greater
25 Ohms / 2.5 Ohms = 10
This shows how well the amp can control the drivers especially at the fundamental frequency which is almost always somewhere toward the bass frequencies.
I am guessing you are not currently using a nice soundcard? If not I suggest something like the Total Bithead from Headphone.com. The Bithead is built really well, time tested, works both on batteries and via USB power, serves as both a USB DAC and headphone amp. It should give your headphones and entire audio chain a nice kick.
I suggest Digizoid ZO2, 32-lvl bass boost adjustment. :P I think XB500 + ZO2 will leave your face shocked at how strong bass output a pair of headphone can do, when I had this combo lvl 2-3 was usually right, anything more was too bassy even as a basshead. :P
And if that's not enough a good quality EQ will also work, such as is bundled with Creative X-Fi cards.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 7/19/12 at 1:06pm
I want to preface this with the fact that I have NO knowledge about headphone amps/sound cards. I'm looking for something to use with my Sony XB500's to enhance their low end (playing with them on super bass tracks shows me that they have the ability to put out much, much more bass than I'm currently hearing). Will getting an amp solve this or are there some better eq's or soundcards out there that will accomplish this?
Your Sony XB500 are 40-Ohms and add-on sound cards will come with an impedance of 10-Ohm or higher.
So any sound card will automatically increase the bass on your XB500, just may not make a very good sounding bass.
Portable headphone amplifiers seem to come with a much lower impedance then sound cards or motherboards.
Something like the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier will enhance the over all sound quality, over whatever motherboard your plugging your XB500 directly into.
thanks all! Are there any good, inexpensive EQ's for headphones? I might pick up that Fiio E10 sometime, though it costs as much as the headphones :(. And that Z02 sounds exactly like what I want, but at $100 it's a it pricey..
Maybe get the Fiio E6 or a low cost cmoy headphone amplifier.
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Need some advices about gear 42 seconds ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › NEW 2014 SONY MDR-XB950AP/H 10 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 12 minutes ago
- › E18 supported models list (udated on Jan 20th, 2014)! 14 minutes ago
- › Usb Dac Noob and I have SO many questions. 15 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)