- 41 Posts. Joined 9/2003
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFiiO E10tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFiio E6 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Good/Cheap headphone amp for Sennheiser HD 439 Last post on 11/22/12 at 11:45am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Bass heavy headphones. Last post on 6/9/13 at 9:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Just For EXTREME HEAD-RATTLING Sub Bass Last post on 2/5/14 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Sennheiser’s style range On...
I bought the headphones on 26 / january / 2015 this first thing that made me happy was the excellent comfort of the headphones and the ability to stay on my head even if was leaning my head these...
XBA-A2 The title says "Japanese import" and I had to an add and search just to do a review. I went on a mission...
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
- Headphone Impedance
Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The first thing you will want to do in order to get even more bass is to make sure you are listening to bass heavy music. Trying to squeeze bass from tracks that have no low extension is not going to yield more bass. It will however introduce distortion and other terrible artifacts that will not be very pleasant.
That said there are often two ways to improve bass extension. The first is improving the DAC section of the audio chain. This can improve bass by giving further accurate low frequency generation when the bass signal is present. If the DAC is rounding off the low end then the bass is being limited. I would expect most low cost soundcards and certainly many on-board soundcards to not have much bass at all.
The second method is by introducing an amp that has good control of the low end by having a deep mastery of frequencies lower than 100Hz. Not all amps do well with low frequencies. Having an amp with a low output impedance can help control low end distortion because of damping. See the speaker damping wiki for more details. Basically your headphone impedance divided by the output impedance of an amp needs to be over 10 if possible. For example if I use a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones that have an impedance of 25 Ohms then in order to meet the rule of 10 the output impedance of my amp should be 2.5 Ohms or less.
Headphone Impedance / Output impedance of amp must be 10 or greater
25 Ohms / 2.5 Ohms = 10
This shows how well the amp can control the drivers especially at the fundamental frequency which is almost always somewhere toward the bass frequencies.
I am guessing you are not currently using a nice soundcard? If not I suggest something like the Total Bithead from Headphone.com. The Bithead is built really well, time tested, works both on batteries and via USB power, serves as both a USB DAC and headphone amp. It should give your headphones and entire audio chain a nice kick.
I suggest Digizoid ZO2, 32-lvl bass boost adjustment. :P I think XB500 + ZO2 will leave your face shocked at how strong bass output a pair of headphone can do, when I had this combo lvl 2-3 was usually right, anything more was too bassy even as a basshead. :P
And if that's not enough a good quality EQ will also work, such as is bundled with Creative X-Fi cards.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 7/19/12 at 1:06pm
I want to preface this with the fact that I have NO knowledge about headphone amps/sound cards. I'm looking for something to use with my Sony XB500's to enhance their low end (playing with them on super bass tracks shows me that they have the ability to put out much, much more bass than I'm currently hearing). Will getting an amp solve this or are there some better eq's or soundcards out there that will accomplish this?
Your Sony XB500 are 40-Ohms and add-on sound cards will come with an impedance of 10-Ohm or higher.
So any sound card will automatically increase the bass on your XB500, just may not make a very good sounding bass.
Portable headphone amplifiers seem to come with a much lower impedance then sound cards or motherboards.
Something like the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier will enhance the over all sound quality, over whatever motherboard your plugging your XB500 directly into.
thanks all! Are there any good, inexpensive EQ's for headphones? I might pick up that Fiio E10 sometime, though it costs as much as the headphones :(. And that Z02 sounds exactly like what I want, but at $100 it's a it pricey..
Maybe get the Fiio E6 or a low cost cmoy headphone amplifier.
- Amp or EQ/soundcard to increase bass with computer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 second ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 41 seconds ago
- › Suggestions needed for headphones to keep on reserve in college... 41 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 2 minutes ago
- › LNMP Finishing touches - wiring the battery pack and enclosing 2 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2