I guess I should clarify that it (E9) has been recommended a lot for Denons. It is a lot better with 80+ ohm headphones.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 10/4/12
- productAudio-gd C-2.2tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 7/26/12
- brandDenontagged by System, 7/26/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 8/15/12
- productEddie Current Zana Deux SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12More
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- productLehmann Black Cube Lineartagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMatrix M-Stagetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMeier Audio Corda Arrietatagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/15/12
- productRed Wine Audio Corvinatagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRudistor NX03tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 7/26/12
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350 Last post on 3/7/13 at 6:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Budget full-size amp for Q701 Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 11/21/15 at 4:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. - Page 5
Poll Results: What do you think of amp recommendations in general?
149 Total Votespost #61 of 4458/2/12 at 8:29pm
11% (17)Disgustingly not thought out, just recommended from the single amp they have tried
12% (19)Poorly thought out, mostly blind brand loyalty
42% (63)50/50, a lot of zealots but about the same number of helpful recommendations
11% (17)Mostly people here know what they are saying
15% (23)WiR3D is a zealot.
6% (10)I disagree with you most things, people can recommend from there own experience, even if it is just the one amp that they own.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 4458/2/12 at 9:17pm
Another vote against the Little Dot I+, which, no matter what the tube/op-amp combination I used, it could not control the D7000's bass. NOT RECOMMENDED.
My results with EF95 russian tubes and the following op-amp's in the Little Dot I+ are as follows:
OPA627BP = Bass overwhelmed the whole frequency range, too much boooooom, causing the mids to be masked, although the high's were smooth, they did not sound 'right'. As though someone pushed them to the back of the stage behind the rest of the instruments.
LT1358 = Even more overwhelming Bass compared to the OPA, the high's were much more lively as well, but never got to the point of being uncomfortable.
LME47920HA = I'd classify this op-amp as 'dry' sounding and was the best match for the 'warm' Denon sound. Least bloated sounding bass of the bunch. High's were also most lively out of the 3. On certain recordings the high's could become uncomfortable.
At this point (and for the last 6-8 months) the D7k's have been paired with a 1977-79 Hitachi HA-330 stereo amp (pure Class-A). It's truly the best combination I've found for the Denons, aside for the higher than I'd like noise floor (minimal static can be heard in quiet passages but mostly during gaps between tracks).
The bass sounds 'perfect' and the best I've heard it. Its punchy, never boomy (unless its a poor recording or the engineer called for moar bass, eg. Kalmah/Metallica). The high's are never piercing, regardless of recording and yet still have that toe tapping liveliness to it. Diana Krall, Whitney Houston and Roberta Flack sound as though they are right in front of me on stage. Oh the staging, its my most favorite part of this headphone. Instrument placement is superb and allows me to visualize the venue. The wood cup resonance adds nice ambiance and is not intrusive. Denon's could use a bump in the midrange though as certain electronic music (eg. Stendeck) lack that mid-range detail, where as the K240's have the detail in spades (but lack the bass, hahha, can't win).
I will follow this thread closely as I would like to find an amp that sounds like my vintage amp but with a smaller footprint. Keep on with the search/re-search WiR3D.
Edited by rezolver - 8/2/12 at 9:19pmpost #63 of 4458/3/12 at 1:50pmThread Starter
E9 completely slipped my mind.... that and the LD1+ are probably the most annoying ones that keep popping up.
Thanks guys :) contribution helps everyone.post #64 of 4458/8/12 at 10:11ampost #65 of 4458/13/12 at 2:19amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks, I did get some conflicting information on the HP-P1...post #66 of 4458/13/12 at 2:42am
How so? It does just as good of a job as the O2, I have both, only the Fostex is smaller, has superior ergonomics, better connectivity, and lasts longer on a charge.post #67 of 4458/13/12 at 3:40amThread StarterQuote:
You can never find that one post you remember reading when you need to.
Anyway Google tells the odds are the other person was the monkey.
So, I'm more convinced, but I would still not feel comfortable recommending it, I'm quite busy right now, and can't do the digging on my own, I will do so later to confirm properly. But if you want you can provide links to credible sources to back up your statement. If you don't want to wait for me that is.post #68 of 4458/14/12 at 6:51am
I got pm'd by WiR3D, but don't really have the time to slowly write down my thoughts. There's one amp that really stood up against my others, and that is the Darkvoice 336.
Bad pairing, and I doubt any other OTL tube amps would pair well toopost #69 of 4458/14/12 at 11:38amThread StarterQuote:
Another surprise, will need more information on that one, thanks for the input.
LATE EDIT: was confused, thought you thought it was good, I expected it to be bad.
Edited by WiR3D - 8/15/12 at 6:14ampost #70 of 4458/14/12 at 5:03pm
Oh is it a surprise? I quite expected the results
There are output caps which act as a high pass filter in the DV, I think they are 30uF --> which is too low for Denons (24? ohm) especially when they have so much to present at those 20~80Hz. Bad pairing, except for the soundstage I guess, mids might have become more present but the loss of bass was not worth it. Denon without subbass sounds nothing like what a $300 msrp headphone should sound.post #71 of 4458/14/12 at 5:45pmpost #72 of 4458/15/12 at 3:57amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by mrAdrian
Oh is it a surprise? I quite expected the results
There are output caps which act as a high pass filter in the DV, I think they are 30uF --> which is too low for Denons (24? ohm) especially when they have so much to present at those 20~80Hz. Bad pairing, except for the soundstage I guess, mids might have become more present but the loss of bass was not worth it. Denon without subbass sounds nothing like what a $300 msrp headphone should sound.
Actually you phrased it kinda badly, I thought you meant it was a GOOD pairing. Thats why I was surprised, the only tube exception so far is the WA6SE, and possibly the Lyr but thats only tentative.
I expect the DV to sound quite dismal, too flabby bass, and too coloured.post #73 of 4458/15/12 at 8:42pm
Oh sorry :P
Yeah it sounds quite to what you would have guessed, except it was a flabby midbass (not that bad actually) but no subbass, so all bass notes sounded artificial without any natural reverbs.post #74 of 4458/16/12 at 6:12am
My D5K and D7K pair very well with both CEntrance DACport, O2 amp (aka Objective2) and JDS Labs CMoyBB 2.03R 18v.
The Little Dot I+ unfortunately is a no-no with Denons, lovely with Grados though ;-)
Edit: The ODAC-O2 combo is amazing, very resolving with tight impactful bass response.
Edited by willmax - 8/26/12 at 5:13pmpost #75 of 4458/16/12 at 6:42amThread StarterQuote:
getting lots of votes for the O2.
The Centrance though, do you notice any difference in bass response between the Dacport and the O2?
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 3 seconds ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page... 4 minutes ago
- › KENNERTON VALI - Impressions, Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 7 minutes ago
- › Value for money real tube amp - WA6, schiit valhalla2, trafomatic... 8 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 10 minutes ago
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear