I have run the Denon AHD 7100 with various amps. Fiio E7- alright a bit dull, the inbuilt dedicated headphone AMP from my T&A preamplifier which is a separate unit with separate volume control, which sounds great, very lively, controlled and detailed. As headphone desktop amps I own the Lakepeople G109P and the Lehmann Audio Black Cube. Between those two the Lehmann is by far my favourite. It conveys music in a lot more detail and excitement than the Lakepeople. The Lakepeople has a slight advantage in bass power and control and also has a lower noise floor.This is relevant with my in-ears only. However the music always feels slightly veiled compared to the Lehmann audio which adds sparkle and insight. I am always surprised by how much more information is dug out from the record by the Lehmann. I have also used the amp with Sennheiser HD600, HD800 (still anaemic imho)and a Hifiman HE500 and the results where similar.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 10/4/12
- productAudio-gd C-2.2tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 7/26/12
- brandDenontagged by System, 7/26/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 8/15/12
- productEddie Current Zana Deux SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12More
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- productLehmann Black Cube Lineartagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMatrix M-Stagetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMeier Audio Corda Arrietatagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/15/12
- productRed Wine Audio Corvinatagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRudistor NX03tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 7/26/12
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350 Last post on 3/7/13 at 6:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Budget full-size amp for Q701 Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 7/17/14 at 1:10am in High-end Audio Forum
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
OK This is my first headphone review so please be easy. I am not much on technical terms and such. I know what I like but is difficult to come to words at times. A little about me: Love most...
The Start This review is part of the Official Sennheiser URBANITE Australian review tour organized by White Lotus and made possible by Sennheiser Australia . Many thanks to White Lotus for his...
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
Let me start this review with some information about the company that made these headphones, Philips. The company that invented the CD, the first radio etc. As a Dutch guy, I'm very connected with...
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
- Headphone Impedance
[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. - Page 30
Poll Results: What do you think of amp recommendations in general?
11% (17)Disgustingly not thought out, just recommended from the single amp they have tried
13% (19)Poorly thought out, mostly blind brand loyalty
43% (62)50/50, a lot of zealots but about the same number of helpful recommendations
11% (16)Mostly people here know what they are saying
14% (21)WiR3D is a zealot.
6% (9)I disagree with you most things, people can recommend from there own experience, even if it is just the one amp that they own.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have Fostex TH600 and would like add a Project Sunrise III to amps that pretty good with this headphones.
I also have Audio-GD NFB-11. It's good with TH600 but Sunrise are much better then NFB-11 amplifier. Sunrise add a lot of micro details. It have an option to set output impedance to 1.5 Ohm and it's allow to be paired with Fostex TH600.
It's pretty good pairing.
Just wanted to chime in on this thread with my impressions.
I'm using a D7K with the J$ pads, and I've used a few amps with it, the most premium of which was a Schiit Lyr with Orange tubes (when I was primarily using it to push an old pair of LCD-2's). The Denon/Lyr to me sounded just OK. It's probably not a good match as some others have claimed, which is why I vastly preferred the the FIIO E10 to it, a bit to my surprise.
I can't speak to a broad class of amps since my experience is limited, but using my experience as a basis, a flawed but perhaps useful way to describe it:
The sound quality delta between using an LCD-2 straight off of a computer jack and using the Lyr was just a bit more dramatic than the sound quality delta between the D7K straight off of a computer jack and using the E10. I really heard a large improvement in dynamics and punch from the ~70$ E10. If I had to rank the different permutations possible, I came down on
D7K+E10 ~= LCD-2+Lyr > LCD-2+E10 > D7K+Lyr > D7K(straight) > LCD-2(straight)
Of course, caveats being different power requirements, different headphone driver topology, etc. But, what I'm trying to say is that the bang/buck equation above really makes the E10 look like a champion. Though it's not the subject of the thread, it actually did admirably driving the LCD-2 (!!). I enjoyed the D7K/E10 combo so much that I sold the LCD-2/Lyr. If you've got a DXK headphone and want a great initial amp or have a tight budget, I'll add to the chorus saying that the FIIO amps are a great way to go, particularly the E10.
Edited by azeral - 11/2/14 at 1:22pm
Edited by Bilgates - 11/28/14 at 11:46am
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 39 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 55 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › The scientific merit of Pono 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Best cheap in ears for under $30? 4 minutes ago
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3