I have run the Denon AHD 7100 with various amps. Fiio E7- alright a bit dull, the inbuilt dedicated headphone AMP from my T&A preamplifier which is a separate unit with separate volume control, which sounds great, very lively, controlled and detailed. As headphone desktop amps I own the Lakepeople G109P and the Lehmann Audio Black Cube. Between those two the Lehmann is by far my favourite. It conveys music in a lot more detail and excitement than the Lakepeople. The Lakepeople has a slight advantage in bass power and control and also has a lower noise floor.This is relevant with my in-ears only. However the music always feels slightly veiled compared to the Lehmann audio which adds sparkle and insight. I am always surprised by how much more information is dug out from the record by the Lehmann. I have also used the amp with Sennheiser HD600, HD800 (still anaemic imho)and a Hifiman HE500 and the results where similar.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 10/4/12
- productAudio-gd C-2.2tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 7/26/12
- brandDenontagged by System, 7/26/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 8/15/12
- productEddie Current Zana Deux SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12More
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- productLehmann Black Cube Lineartagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMatrix M-Stagetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/26/12
- productMeier Audio Corda Arrietatagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/15/12
- productRed Wine Audio Corvinatagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRudistor NX03tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 7/26/12
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350 Last post on 3/7/13 at 6:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Budget full-size amp for Q701 Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 11/21/15 at 4:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero around April 16th. I received the unit...
- Headphone Impedance
[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. - Page 30
Poll Results: What do you think of amp recommendations in general?
11% (17)Disgustingly not thought out, just recommended from the single amp they have tried
13% (19)Poorly thought out, mostly blind brand loyalty
43% (63)50/50, a lot of zealots but about the same number of helpful recommendations
10% (16)Mostly people here know what they are saying
15% (22)WiR3D is a zealot.
6% (9)I disagree with you most things, people can recommend from there own experience, even if it is just the one amp that they own.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have Fostex TH600 and would like add a Project Sunrise III to amps that pretty good with this headphones.
I also have Audio-GD NFB-11. It's good with TH600 but Sunrise are much better then NFB-11 amplifier. Sunrise add a lot of micro details. It have an option to set output impedance to 1.5 Ohm and it's allow to be paired with Fostex TH600.
It's pretty good pairing.
Just wanted to chime in on this thread with my impressions.
I'm using a D7K with the J$ pads, and I've used a few amps with it, the most premium of which was a Schiit Lyr with Orange tubes (when I was primarily using it to push an old pair of LCD-2's). The Denon/Lyr to me sounded just OK. It's probably not a good match as some others have claimed, which is why I vastly preferred the the FIIO E10 to it, a bit to my surprise.
I can't speak to a broad class of amps since my experience is limited, but using my experience as a basis, a flawed but perhaps useful way to describe it:
The sound quality delta between using an LCD-2 straight off of a computer jack and using the Lyr was just a bit more dramatic than the sound quality delta between the D7K straight off of a computer jack and using the E10. I really heard a large improvement in dynamics and punch from the ~70$ E10. If I had to rank the different permutations possible, I came down on
D7K+E10 ~= LCD-2+Lyr > LCD-2+E10 > D7K+Lyr > D7K(straight) > LCD-2(straight)
Of course, caveats being different power requirements, different headphone driver topology, etc. But, what I'm trying to say is that the bang/buck equation above really makes the E10 look like a champion. Though it's not the subject of the thread, it actually did admirably driving the LCD-2 (!!). I enjoyed the D7K/E10 combo so much that I sold the LCD-2/Lyr. If you've got a DXK headphone and want a great initial amp or have a tight budget, I'll add to the chorus saying that the FIIO amps are a great way to go, particularly the E10.
Edited by azeral - 11/2/14 at 1:22pm
Edited by Bilgates - 11/28/14 at 11:46am
Breaking out some thread necromancy here, in hopes of some updated feedback...
My iBasso D1 with HiFlight TopKit is getting more than a little long in the tooth. It's a wonderful match with my Lawton-modded D2000, and considerably more enjoyable a listening experience than the iBasso D7 (murky and bass-heavy) or the Benchmark DAC1 (grainy, harsh).
I'm concerned about seeing the DAC1 listed as a recommended component on the first page of this thread, as I really didn't enjoy it. I tried a bunch of different cabling options, as well as vibration handling tweaks, all of which made a surprising difference, but I just never enjoyed the experience, and went back to the iBasso D1.
So this makes me also a little wary of the recommendations of the Yulong D100 mk2, as the specs seem very similar to the Benchmark, even down to how all sample rates are reclocked to 110kHz. Maybe the headphone amp section is a better match for the Denons than the Benchmark was? Any other thoughts there?
I'm certainly keen on the $500-or-so price point for DAC and amp. Desk space is a consideration, so I'm not over thrilled with having to buy separate units when I'll only ever be using a digital source and the Denons. Nice to be able to rule out other options. Anyone know how the Yulong D200 might compare? Other sub-$1000 options that work well?
Anyone have any idea how the Denon LA2000 would fare with the Burson Conductor? I've read a lot about it, but there seems to be very few who have paired it with even stock Denons. I'm looking at one of these for a very pleasant price (also with the latest USB module, if that's of any relevance - I will not be using toslink or coax), and I'm wondering if it'd be a good match. I also own the Philips Fidelio X1, but these are in general very forgiving when it comes to source.
Hey guys very useful thread.
I have a pair of Denon AH-600s, which I use with my Xonar U7 line out to my FiiO E18 amp. It sounds good, but I think it can sound better.
I'm thinking of two options:
1. Keep the DAC, and use Project Headbox S Black as the amp:
2. Get the Matrix Mini I DAC/Amp on massdrop:
Just wondering what you think will get me the better improvement in SQ.
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › IEM Recommendation please 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › GTA/Toronto Meet - May 28 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Tennmak 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 3 minutes ago
- › The Ruizu X02 DAP thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 4 minutes ago
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...