Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. - Page 12

Poll Results: What do you think of amp recommendations in general?

 
  • 11% (17)
    Disgustingly not thought out, just recommended from the single amp they have tried
  • 13% (19)
    Poorly thought out, mostly blind brand loyalty
  • 42% (61)
    50/50, a lot of zealots but about the same number of helpful recommendations
  • 11% (16)
    Mostly people here know what they are saying
  • 14% (21)
    WiR3D is a zealot.
  • 6% (9)
    I disagree with you most things, people can recommend from there own experience, even if it is just the one amp that they own.
143 Total Votes  
post #166 of 436

I drive AH-D7000 with FOSTEX HP-A8. D7000 is made by Foster (OEM) and FOSTEX is the retail brand of Foster. I hear that HP-A8 was developed for TH900, the substantial successor of D7000. Of course HP-A8 is not a high-end amplifier, so I doubt HP-A8 can drive D7000 perfectly.

post #167 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I've read through some of this thread because I didn't want to give suggestions that have already be given.  However, I don't see a lot of talk about DIY stuff execpt the B22 which is great by the way.  

 

I would have to say the CK²III and the M^3 are great amps for the Denon family.  All my amps are balanced so IMO i get a littel more control over the drivers than the usual SE verisons.  

 

I would take a balanced M^3 or a balanced CK²III over a lot of amps mentioned in this thread.

 

IMO a 4 channel fully balanced Beta 22 is tops for these headphones. 

Thanks for the feedback, would you mind giving some more details? Namely on the sound characteristics/impact when paired denons, and which amps (that are on the list) you have tried (just for reference)

 

It would be much appreciated.

post #168 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseree View Post

I drive AH-D7000 with FOSTEX HP-A8. D7000 is made by Foster (OEM) and FOSTEX is the retail brand of Foster. I hear that HP-A8 was developed for TH900, the substantial successor of D7000. Of course HP-A8 is not a high-end amplifier, so I doubt HP-A8 can drive D7000 perfectly.

That one I still haven't figured out. seems like I'm not the only one who hasn't got a firm side of the fence to sit one, and thats the factor that is keeping it off of the list.

post #169 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Thanks for the feedback, would you mind giving some more details? Namely on the sound characteristics/impact when paired denons, and which amps (that are on the list) you have tried (just for reference)

 

It would be much appreciated.

 

Sure,

 

As for the amps on the list I have only (Lived with) the Beta 22.  

 

IMO this paring is a little laid back in signature in comparison to say a GS-1 or a BHA-1.  The sub bass the Denons are known for is there.  The highs are clear but without much sparkle therefore they don't become sibilant.  

 

Amps that I've lived with that's not on the list are the GS-1 and the BHA-1.

 

With the Denons the best overall combo (technically) to me would be with the GS-1 - this is because it has a Hi / Low gain switch so you can pick which one sounds the best for you.  With the GS-1 I found the bass to be even more tighter than with the B22 the mids are more pronounced and the highs are just as clear with a touch of sparkle, still no sibilant sound.  This combo has the overall best tonal balance.

 

With the BHA-1 they sound good as well.  However, the highs can be a bit bright and a bit tilted therefore the tonal balance is a bit off.  The BHA-1 has a gain switch as well but I think it's still a little to powerful for the Denons.  IMO

 

What these amps share when paired with the Denons is the Bass response.  Super tight bass that extends very well.  Again the sub bass really stands out with all of these amps.  The bass is also fast, quick and able to keep up with the most demanding tracks while still staying full or meaty. 

 

Although the GS-1 and the Denons are the best technical match.  I enjoy them with the B22 more.

post #170 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Sure,

 

As for the amps on the list I have only (Lived with) the Beta 22.  

 

IMO this paring is a little laid back in signature in comparison to say a GS-1 or a BHA-1.  The sub bass the Denons are known for is there.  The highs are clear but without much sparkle therefore they don't become sibilant.  

 

Amps that I've lived with that's not on the list are the GS-1 and the BHA-1.

 

With the Denons the best overall combo (technically) to me would be with the GS-1 - this is because it has a Hi / Low gain switch so you can pick which one sounds the best for you.  With the GS-1 I found the bass to be even more tighter than with the B22 the mids are more pronounced and the highs are just as clear with a touch of sparkle, still no sibilant sound.  This combo has the overall best tonal balance.

 

With the BHA-1 they sound good as well.  However, the highs can be a bit bright and a bit tilted therefore the tonal balance is a bit off.  The BHA-1 has a gain switch as well but I think it's still a little to powerful for the Denons.  IMO

 

What these amps share when paired with the Denons is the Bass response.  Super tight bass that extends very well.  Again the sub bass really stands out with all of these amps.  The bass is also fast, quick and able to keep up with the most demanding tracks while still staying full or meaty. 

 

Although the GS-1 and the Denons are the best technical match.  I enjoy them with the B22 more.

Thanks :) 

 

This will definitely help someone out. 

 

So to summarize Technically the GS-1 is perfect, and sonically it works very very well, but musically (which is IMHO the reason you buy Denons, along with sub bass response) the Fully balanced B22 is a neutral and technically accurate setup that is also just the right amount of musical (does not sound dull, which I am guessing the GS-1 does)

post #171 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Thanks :) 

 

This will definitely help someone out. 

 

So to summarize Technically the GS-1 is perfect, and sonically it works very very well, but musically (which is IMHO the reason you buy Denons, along with sub bass response) the Fully balanced B22 is a neutral and technically accurate setup that is also just the right amount of musical (does not sound dull, which I am guessing the GS-1 does)

 

B22 = More musical

 

GS-1 = Better technically (less musical but not dull)

post #172 of 436

Thanks for reply,

actually, i want to make a choice between master8(famous for clear) and sonett 2(famous for musical), both are valuable.

The sound i prefer should be musical but clear....hard to decied....

post #173 of 436

How about the nad m51 as the DAC?

post #174 of 436
Thread Starter 

From what I read a very good combination of clear and musical was yulong D18 + Master 5

 

others tested include

Yulong D18 + A18,

Ref 7.1 + Master 5,

Ref 7.1 + Yulong A18 (which I thought would have won)

 

Bearing in mind the Yulongs sound very vinyl in presentation, and AudioGD is famous for its clarity/clinical ability, it seems that a smooth sounding DAC and a detailed amp is the recipe for success

post #175 of 436
How about nad m51+master8? Or reference10(all in one) that's all the killers in that price.
post #176 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanaudio View Post

How about nad m51+master8? Or reference10(all in one) that's all the killers in that price.

Sorry I can't say, Don't know much about the NAD... 

 

The ref 10, will be a good match, but it undoubtedly will be brutal.... It will reveal every flaw you can think of in a record.

post #177 of 436

You are spot on Wir3d with the criteria for the Dennon d5000 phones- at least based on my listening to them with only two amps.

 

Grace m902- excellent!

Cary Xciter- crap!

 

Batting 1000 on my scorecard...

post #178 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Bob View Post

You are spot on Wir3d with the criteria for the Dennon d5000 phones- at least based on my listening to them with only two amps.

 

Grace m902- excellent!

Cary Xciter- crap!

 

Batting 1000 on my scorecard...

 

 

Why crap on the Cary?  what's the difference in the two?

post #179 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Why crap on the Cary?  what's the difference in the two?

Well I can't see the exciters output impedance, but it is output transformer coupled. SO I am guessing that its too musical and smooth and tubey. which is highly possible. 

 

Thats why tubes aren't recommended.

post #180 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Well I can't see the exciters output impedance, but it is output transformer coupled. SO I am guessing that its too musical and smooth and tubey. which is highly possible. 

 

Thats why tubes aren't recommended.

Too musical as in a loss of fidelity?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.