Staticfi.....what amp are you using?
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 7/20/12
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 7/20/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphones for hearing impaired..read on please Last post on 10/2/12 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones - tried a few models but still concerned Last post on 9/16/12 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 150~ Headphones, well balanced, slight emphasis on bass Last post on 9/11/12 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- AD 900 vs. DT 880 vs. AKG 550...which would you put on your head (and mine)? Last post on 9/12/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Powering SONY MDR V-6 ...Fiio E17 not cutting it! - Page 2post #16 of 197/23/12 at 10:54amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1911/22/12 at 8:35pm
Guys guys, this isnt a problem of what amp he is using. This is a problem that he is using youtube
Youtube is TERRIBLY compressed.
Please audition the headphones using a 320kbps Mp3. If you don't have any mp3's then try using a free steaming service like Songza. You should notice a immediate difference.post #18 of 196/11/13 at 12:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ken176
I originally auditioned the SONY MDR V-6s at Guitar Center plugged into their rack setup.... I was very impressed! The Sony's were flat for the most part, which I liked. What impressed me the most was how powerfull they sounded, along with their controlled bass. I have a newer laptop with a Realtek HD soundcard, Fiio E17 DAC along running my V-6s...but I find myself wanting so much MORE! The E17 is nothing compared to my original listening experience at guitar center. If I'm not mistaken..the E17 is putting out about .25 watts to my 63ohm V6's capable of 1 watt. Any amp suggestions on how I can get the power full, authoritative, controlled sound I am after? Open to ALL suggestion! Thank you in advance.
7506 Professional owner here. The pro version of the V6.
I went to my visit my aunt's house (I think it was a year ago or two). She had one of those 1980s or 1990s-looking Sony racks... I think it was a separated pre amplifier and a power amplifier (not sure if they're high-end sony's though). I wanted to fiddle with her rack because I wanted to hear how they sounded like connected there with the 1/4 inch connectors. I connected my 7506 to the phone out located in front of the power amplifier, then made sure all the artificial effects are off and treble/based set at zero (she had them all dialed to the max).
I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this conclusion... but this thing sounds like another headphone with (almost) no vices when paired/connected to Sony racks. I also use 7506s on portables (but not much after the following revelation(s))... and I think the vices on these headphones only show up on portable sources and laptop/desktop PCs.
Here's the impressions that I consider "improvements" I noticed after testing with her Sony racks... (in no following order)
- The "low end" got "tighter", "thicker" (more like "full-bodied" but not that thick) and even extended "deeper" to boot!
- The "highs" felt that they were tamed.
- The body of the music (I played all genres... high quality stuff, ranging from Bread Greatest Hits, DCC-issued Metallicas, Andy Gibb Greatest Hits, and some R&B, old school hip hop and some selected Southern hip-hop/rap/crunk)... felt "smooth" overall ! I think this 7506 still got some minuscule "rough edges" somrwhere... but Like I said it was "smooth" overall. Most of what's considered vices with 7506 sound has been greatly minimized, or even diminished.
- For once I was able to "distinct" the notes and pinpoint where they came from.
- So in short...
Low = "tighter"/"thicker"/"deeper".
Mid = "there's actually mids!", not that prominent... but more like present.
High = "tamed", "smoothed" but there's still some small "sharp edges" present.
Because of this I retired my 7506 for portable duties and is hidden in my closet for now. For recreational purposes I think the 7506s strong points doesn't do it justice when not plugged in to racks like I described above.post #19 of 196/11/13 at 12:08pm
- Powering SONY MDR V-6 ...Fiio E17 not cutting it!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › What's the difference between a DAC and an Amplifier? 1 second ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 30 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 43 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 1 minute ago
- › Shock discovery! Sansa clip earphones sound like Hd650! 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 mod - AD8397 to AD8620 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob