Staticfi.....what amp are you using?
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 7/20/12
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 7/20/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- How do nice quality headphones sound, do they really make the music sound better? Last post on 1/13/13 at 3:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphones for hearing impaired..read on please Last post on 10/2/12 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones - tried a few models but still concerned Last post on 9/16/12 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 150~ Headphones, well balanced, slight emphasis on bass Last post on 9/11/12 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Powering SONY MDR V-6 ...Fiio E17 not cutting it! - Page 2post #16 of 197/23/12 at 10:54amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1911/22/12 at 8:35pm
Guys guys, this isnt a problem of what amp he is using. This is a problem that he is using youtube
Youtube is TERRIBLY compressed.
Please audition the headphones using a 320kbps Mp3. If you don't have any mp3's then try using a free steaming service like Songza. You should notice a immediate difference.post #18 of 196/11/13 at 12:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ken176
I originally auditioned the SONY MDR V-6s at Guitar Center plugged into their rack setup.... I was very impressed! The Sony's were flat for the most part, which I liked. What impressed me the most was how powerfull they sounded, along with their controlled bass. I have a newer laptop with a Realtek HD soundcard, Fiio E17 DAC along running my V-6s...but I find myself wanting so much MORE! The E17 is nothing compared to my original listening experience at guitar center. If I'm not mistaken..the E17 is putting out about .25 watts to my 63ohm V6's capable of 1 watt. Any amp suggestions on how I can get the power full, authoritative, controlled sound I am after? Open to ALL suggestion! Thank you in advance.
7506 Professional owner here. The pro version of the V6.
I went to my visit my aunt's house (I think it was a year ago or two). She had one of those 1980s or 1990s-looking Sony racks... I think it was a separated pre amplifier and a power amplifier (not sure if they're high-end sony's though). I wanted to fiddle with her rack because I wanted to hear how they sounded like connected there with the 1/4 inch connectors. I connected my 7506 to the phone out located in front of the power amplifier, then made sure all the artificial effects are off and treble/based set at zero (she had them all dialed to the max).
I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this conclusion... but this thing sounds like another headphone with (almost) no vices when paired/connected to Sony racks. I also use 7506s on portables (but not much after the following revelation(s))... and I think the vices on these headphones only show up on portable sources and laptop/desktop PCs.
Here's the impressions that I consider "improvements" I noticed after testing with her Sony racks... (in no following order)
- The "low end" got "tighter", "thicker" (more like "full-bodied" but not that thick) and even extended "deeper" to boot!
- The "highs" felt that they were tamed.
- The body of the music (I played all genres... high quality stuff, ranging from Bread Greatest Hits, DCC-issued Metallicas, Andy Gibb Greatest Hits, and some R&B, old school hip hop and some selected Southern hip-hop/rap/crunk)... felt "smooth" overall ! I think this 7506 still got some minuscule "rough edges" somrwhere... but Like I said it was "smooth" overall. Most of what's considered vices with 7506 sound has been greatly minimized, or even diminished.
- For once I was able to "distinct" the notes and pinpoint where they came from.
- So in short...
Low = "tighter"/"thicker"/"deeper".
Mid = "there's actually mids!", not that prominent... but more like present.
High = "tamed", "smoothed" but there's still some small "sharp edges" present.
Because of this I retired my 7506 for portable duties and is hidden in my closet for now. For recreational purposes I think the 7506s strong points doesn't do it justice when not plugged in to racks like I described above.post #19 of 196/11/13 at 12:08pm
- Powering SONY MDR V-6 ...Fiio E17 not cutting it!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 12 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 32 seconds ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 33 seconds ago
- › Apple cck not as good as USB? 59 seconds ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 1 minute ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear