Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for new bass headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for new bass headphones

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 

I just joined head fi and I'm a bit of a noob compared to most here so please excuse any dumb things I might say. I'm currently using my V-Moda Crossfade Lp's. They're good, but I'm looking for an upgrade. I mainly listen to rap and rock, with some metal and a little bit of pop. The lp's are terrible with rock and metal, and they seem to have lost a lot of bass overtime. I don't like punchy bass. I like more low and smooth bass but I don't want to overpower the rest the music. I listen to my iPod touch 4g, Droid Razr Maxx, and my laptop (Sony Vaio if that matters). If possible, I don't want to have to use an amp but if it's really worth it I will. I'd like to keep my price range $150-$250 but I'll go as high as $500-$600 if it's really worth it. If you do recommend headphones that need an amp, please also recommend an amp. Here's a few that I've seen recommended a lot:

Audio Technica ATH M50

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro

Denon DH 5000 Reference Headphones

Studiophile Q40

Ultrasone 580

Ultrasone Pro 900

Sony xb700

Phillips Citiscape Uptown

Darth Beyer

I've never listened to any of those and there's nowhere around here that I can try different headphones. I'm leaning towards the D5000's right now. How are they compared to the others I listed? Also if you could compare them, or anything else you'd recommend to my Crossfades that would be helpful.


Edited by eposk23 - 7/24/12 at 10:49am
post #2 of 54

I haven't heard the Sony XB700s, but I've read about all that bass.  Check out the chart-

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=2941

 

edit- looks to me like the Sony headphones will rattle your skull.  :)


Edited by Penarin - 7/18/12 at 10:54am
post #3 of 54

ultrasone hfi-580 beats the ath m-50 every time

post #4 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penarin View Post

I haven't heard the Sony XB700s, but I've read about all that bass.  Check out the chart-

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=2941

 

edit- looks to me like the Sony headphones will rattle your skull.  :)

Does that chart just mean that the xb's will play louder at most frequencies??

post #5 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Delo View Post

ultrasone hfi-580 beats the ath m-50 every time

Beats them at what? Bass, or they're just overall better?

post #6 of 54

I would usually say Ultrasone for bassy music, but I've heard that the Beyer DT770s play better with rock and metal.  The 580s are great for electronica. 

post #7 of 54
Thread Starter 

What's the differnece between the Darth Beyer and the DT 770 Pro?

post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eposk23 View Post

What's the differnece between the Darth Beyer and the DT 770 Pro?

 

A darth beyer is a modded beyer headphone, better than stock in certain aspects with more bass. 

post #9 of 54

Spend as much as you can afford. Otherwise you'll end up buying several sets in basically the same price range. On your list, the Denon AHD 5000 blows away the Sony and the M50 (which I love and is a terrific value but it not in the same class as the Denon) I haven't heard the rest on your list.  In terms of amps I really like the Fiio E9 (with 7 depending on how you are using it) and I love the Schiit Asgard. In my opinion all HPs (even the most efficient) will benefit from an amp. Good luck and have fun.

post #10 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post

 

A darth beyer is a modded beyer headphone, better than stock in certain aspects with more bass. 

Is is really worth that much more?

post #11 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennito View Post

Spend as much as you can afford. Otherwise you'll end up buying several sets in basically the same price range. On your list, the Denon AHD 5000 blows away the Sony and the M50 (which I love and is a terrific value but it not in the same class as the Denon) I haven't heard the rest on your list.  In terms of amps I really like the Fiio E9 (with 7 depending on how you are using it) and I love the Schiit Asgard. In my opinion all HPs (even the most efficient) will benefit from an amp. Good luck and have fun.

Does it blow them away in anything in particular or they're just overall better?

post #12 of 54

I have the d2000s and the ultrasone pro 900 and I can't speak to how well the d5ks sound I do have to say that the ultrasones win hands down over the d2ks. The denons tend to get a bit muddied, have a 3m cable, and are big heavy headphones (can't wear them places really). The ultrasones have a clearer soundstage, bit recessed mids (which is a normal complaint) but they are a versatile headphone and will not disappoint--I listen to everything from bach to bassnectar from steve aoki to slipknot from dizzy gillespie to deadmau5..you get the idea, but I like it all loud and authoritative sounded and the pro900s definitely do that. I have tried the dt770s and they sound good but they are definitely not as booming as the pro 900s. Also if you want to melt your face you can get a fiio e17 for fairly cheap and it will definitely jiggle your innards. 

post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eposk23 View Post

Is is really worth that much more?

 

Never heard any complaints from people who tried this mod. wink.gif

i liked it also. 

post #14 of 54

also you can get the sones for fairly cheap...probably cheaper than the d5ks

post #15 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBurger View Post

also you can get the sones for fairly cheap...probably cheaper than the d5ks

They both seem to be $550 at the cheapest. At least that's what I found in a quick look. Thanks for the info

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for new bass headphones