Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO! 111)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO! 111) - Page 20

post #286 of 840
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 

...The only downside so far is there are more recordings that aren't that pleasant to listen to due to poor recording.  I noticed it immediately on a recording of Beethoven's 4th Piano concerto.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

Well I bought recordings of Beethoven's 3,4,5th Piano Concertos from Linn.

 

Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 4 is one of my current recordings that just didn't cut it when played on the DX100/F111.  It's one of my favorite concertos...

 

Piano Concerto No 4 is my favourite Beethoven piano concerto.

 

At some point you might want to audition/consider/explore the FI-BA-SS. It may not have the most 'correct' FR, or not as 'correct' as that of the F111, but, FWIW, I nearly always found myself reaching more for the FI-BA-SS. (though that might obviously not necessarily be the case with you)


Edited by music_4321 - 4/17/13 at 12:44am
post #287 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

 

Piano Concerto No 4 is my favourite Beethoven piano concerto.

 

At some point you might want to audition/consider/explore the FI-BA-SS. It may not have the most 'correct' FR, or not as 'correct' as that of the F111, but, FWIW, I nearly always found myself reaching more for the FI-BA-SS. (though that might obviously not necessarily be the case with you)

 

My favorite too by far.

 

Unless I could give the FI-BA-SS a really good listen and be able to compare it to the F111s I wouldn't be willing to spend that kind of money. At almost double the price of the F111s it would have to be something spectacular.  Anyways, it will be a while before I even consider anything else. I just gambled and lost on a pair of Frogbeat C4 CIEMs so it'll be a while before my wallet recovers.

post #288 of 840
Thread Starter 

^^  That's why I used the words "audition" and "explore", too.

Yes, the FI-BA-SS costs nearly twice as much and there's no guarantee you'd even prefer the FAD's sonics over the F111's. Besides, the FI-BA-SS has recently been discontinued, it has no removable cable and the strain reliefs at the housings aren't exactly proper strain reliefs — and then we have the very real "law of diminishing returns" here if you did prefer the FADs over the FitEars. Still, I thought I'd mention them to you specifically. Sorry to hear about your C4 disappointment, btw.

post #289 of 840
Is the F111 equally revealing of poorly recorded material as the ER-4S? Or is it even more punishing? Or perhaps less because of the smoother treble?
post #290 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

^^  That's why I used the words "audition" and "explore", too.

Yes, the FI-BA-SS costs nearly twice as much and there's no guarantee you'd even prefer the FAD's sonics over the F111's. Besides, the FI-BA-SS has recently been discontinued, it has no removable cable and the strain reliefs at the housings aren't exactly proper strain reliefs — and then we have the very real "law of diminishing returns" here if you did prefer the FADs over the FitEars. Still, I thought I'd mention them to you specifically. Sorry to hear about your C4 disappointment, btw.

 

Thanks Music.

 

Unfortunately living in a very small town half way between Sydney &  Melbourne makes it difficult to audition and explore.  I rarely get to either city and don't think any shop in either would have the FI-BA-SS.   However the next time I do get to one place or the other I'll see if I can track down a store with a pair. Oh well ;o(


Edited by Omphalopsychite - 4/17/13 at 5:13am
post #291 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

Thanks Music.

Unfortunately living in a very small town half way between Sydney &  Melbourne makes it difficult to audition and explore.  I rarely get to either city and don't think any shop in either would have the FI-BA-SS.   However the next time I do get to one place or the other I'll see if I can track down a store with a pair. Oh well ;o(

Jaben Audio in Melbourne will allow you to demo FI-BA-SS. if it was me...spending that much, I would be jumping on a Kangaroo and taking a trip up there. http://www.jaben.com.au/collections/final-audio-design/products/fin-fibass
post #292 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Jaben Audio in Melbourne will allow you to demo FI-BA-SS. if it was me...spending that much, I would be jumping on a Kangaroo and taking a trip up there. http://www.jaben.com.au/collections/final-audio-design/products/fin-fibass

 

Thanks for the info H2O, the next time I'm in the grip of a fit of audio insanity I'll check Jaben out.  I can't believe that I'm even thinking about my next IEMs at this point, but I am.  It would take something very special to out do the F111s. 

 

                                                                           ***

 

I've been thinking about what they do that appeals to me so much.  To me much of the music is in the relationships among the sounds.  With the F111s and a good DAP (e.g. my DX100) there is so much more complexity, contrast, harmony, etc. in those relationships. 

 

This morning I was listening to Albeniz' Iberia and marveling at the wonderful complexity that I'd never heard before.  Out of curiosity I listened to El Puerto from that suite on both the F111/DX100 and my old trusty PL50/J3 rig.    The analogy of looking at the original painting and a reproduction applies here, but not a good quality reproduction but an ordinary one in an exhibition catalog.  The melody is there but the colour, dynamics, character are all stripped away.  As a result the relationships among the notes are obscured and much of the music is lost.

 

To my thinking having a flat response curve is necessary to hear the relationships in the music as it was performed.  Any emphasis in part of the audio spectrum might make the sound itself more appealing to some but it would distort the musical relationships.

 

With the F111s I can delight in discovering new, more subtle, more complex relationships in the music.

post #293 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 

Thanks for the info H2O, the next time I'm in the grip of a fit of audio insanity I'll check Jaben out.  I can't believe that I'm even thinking about my next IEMs at this point, but I am.  It would take something very special to out do the F111s. 

 

                                                                           ***

 

 

Haha, well, that's why there's this: Taken from theThirty3rd's Sig : "Finally, the end-all headphone for me!" - No Head-fier ever.

post #294 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 

To my thinking having a flat response curve is necessary to hear the relationships in the music as it was performed.  Any emphasis in part of the audio spectrum might make the sound itself more appealing to some but it would distort the musical relationships.

 

With the F111s I can delight in discovering new, more subtle, more complex relationships in the music.

 

Yes! This this is very well said and I agree 100%. The ER4S is the first iem that allows me to hear everything as just "there". All details from each instrument sound equally present and discernible. I'd imagine the F111 is similar.  

post #295 of 840
Thread Starter 

Although this is not the appropriate place to discuss this, and for what it's worth, I'd been questioning the accuracy of several FR graphs of IEMs (not of full-sized headphones) for quite some time. This questioning became even stronger after I got the HD600 in November last year and, later, the HD800s in January, the latter of which I've been using almost exclusively for 2.5 months on a daily basis.

A few posts back I wrote that "[The FI-BA-SS] may not have the most 'correct' FR, or not as 'correct' as that of the F111…" ---- Although I find the F111 to be an excellent IEM, I found myself reaching much more often for the FADs for the simple reason that my ears kept telling me the latter rendered music (most, if not all, genres) more realistically / faithfully. I find the exact same thing with the HD800 & HD600. Of all the IEMs I've ever heard, only the AKG K3003 (with the reference filter) & the FI-BA-SS have managed this, though the former is closer sonically to the HD800's sonics than the FADs. The F111s, by contrast, I found worked very well almost exclusively with very well recorded and/or mastered music. However, to me, a very good ear/headphone—an excellent one, at that, like the HD800—has to be able to handle all genres AND different recording / mastering types competently while obviously shining on better source material. That's not what I found with the F111 (or the EX1000s, another earphone I regard very highly), and I did get a perfect fit. However, I understand this view may not necessarily be shared by all those who would be able to compare both F111 & FI-BA-SS side by side in a quiet environment (like I did).


Edited by music_4321 - 4/18/13 at 3:17am
post #296 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Although this is not the appropriate place to discuss this, and for what it's worth, I'd been questioning the accuracy of several FR graphs of IEMs (not of full-sized headphones) for quite some time. This questioning became even stronger after I got the HD600 in November last year and, later, the HD800s in January, the latter of which I've been using almost exclusively for 2.5 months on a daily basis.

A few posts back I wrote that "[The FI-BA-SS] may not have the most 'correct' FR, or not as 'correct' as that of the F111…" ---- Although I find the F111 to be an excellent IEM, I found myself reaching much more often for the FADs for the simple reason that my ears kept telling me the latter rendered music (most, if not all, genres) more realistically / faithfully. I find the exact same thing with the HD800 & HD600. Of all the IEMs I've ever heard, only the AKG K3003 (with the reference filter) & the FI-BA-SS have managed this, though the former is closer sonically to the HD800's sonics than the FADs. The F111s, by contrast, I found worked very well almost exclusively with very well recorded and/or mastered music. However, to me, a very good ear/headphone—an excellent one, at that, like the HD800—has to be able to handle all genres AND different recording / mastering types competently while obviously shining on better source material. That's not what I found with the F111 (or the EX1000s, another earphone I regard very highly), and I did get a perfect fit. However, I understand this view may not necessarily be shared by all those who would be able to compare both F111 & FI-BA-SS side by side in a quiet environment (like I did).

 

Thank you for sharing the interesting observations. You have me intriqued. I expect that our hearing process is more complex than a strictly mechanical conversion of frequencies so a freq graph wouldn't necessarily tell the whole story.

 

The next time I'm thinking about another set of IEMs I'll take a trip to Melbourne and give the FAD products a listen.

post #297 of 840

edit


Edited by DimitriTrush - 4/21/13 at 3:53pm
post #298 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitriTrush View Post

Hello everyone,

 we have few OB units including  F111 available now. It is a great opportunity for some one looking for this great IEMS with 2 hours play time max.

Let me know If any one interested 

music is bliss

 

Well, that was just a price I couldn't pass up. Just pulled the trigger on the F111. I'll compare with the W4Rs and GR10 and keep the one I prefer.

post #299 of 840

Just got the F111 today. They're actually quite a bit bigger than I expected and while they sound great, the fit is a bit strange. I'm not a fan of the memory wire on them, so I might get that changed.

 

I'll try to do a more detailed comparison with the W4, GR10, and the HF5 (not even in the same price bracket, but it's an Ety and I own it) later.

post #300 of 840

Yes please do write review / impressions especially comparing this with your Ety .. (btw. is it Ety ER-4 that you have ?)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO! 111)