Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › How often do Audiologists mess up when getting impressions of your ears?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How often do Audiologists mess up when getting impressions of your ears?

Poll Results: Should I do my own ear impressions or should I go to an Audiologists to get ear impressions?

 
  • 40% (2)
    I should do the ear impressions myself.
  • 60% (3)
    I should have an Audiologist do them.
5 Total Votes  
post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

^^^ I would like to know how often Audiologists mess up (not get deep enough impressions etc.) when they are getting molds of the insides of your ears. Do they mess up often? Or not so often? Also, I would like to know if I would just be better off doing my own impressions.

post #2 of 15

I read about a test someone did where they had a room full of people try to make their own impressions. Most were sub par. Audiologists have to practice making them then they get even more experience on the job. I'd go with an audiologist. If they turn out to be bad impressions they'll often redo them for you anyway.

post #3 of 15
You should educate yourself as much as is possible before you go.

Then you will know whether a mistake has been made.

Having said that, the mistake IMO, happens when a tech in a far away place is making them.

Just my opinion, Jim
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

You should educate yourself as much as is possible before you go.
Then you will know whether a mistake has been made.
Having said that, the mistake IMO, happens when a tech in a far away place is making them.
Just my opinion, Jim

 So you think that when people say the Audiologist messed their impressions up, that they are wrong most of the time and that it was really the person making your earpieces out of your molds far away?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahu View Post
 

I read about a test someone did where they had a room full of people try to make their own impressions. Most were sub par. Audiologists have to practice making them then they get even more experience on the job. I'd go with an audiologist. If they turn out to be bad impressions they'll often redo them for you anyway.

That's nice . . . I think I will go with an audiologist then. One question though, how are you supposed to know if your impressions are deep enough in the ear or not? I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person than me would be able to tell the audiologist that they need to make the impressions deeper if the audiologist says something like "Ok, you're done" and the impressions really weren't deep enough in the ear yet.


Edited by Double-A - 9/9/13 at 11:42am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-A View Post

That's nice . . . I think I will go with an audiologist then. One question though, how are you supposed to know if your impressions are deep enough in the ear or not? I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person than me would be able to tell the audiologist that they need to make the impressions deeper if the audiologist says something like "Ok, you're done" and the impressions really weren't deep enough in the ear yet.

If your audiologist speaks English you can just tell them what you want :) I think most ciem companies also have a printout to give your audiologist. If you don't tell them you are getting in ear monitors then they will give you impressions for hearing aids which won't be as deep.

 

Another reason to go to an audiologist is they will give you a brief ear exam first. You might have some kind of physical problem like "surfer's ear" bone growth or something. Or you might just not have cleaned your ears enough. Good things to know before having impressions done.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-A View Post

Huh. So you think that when people say the Audiologist messed their impressions up, that they are wrong most of the time and that it was really the person making your earpieces out of your molds far away?

 

That's nice . . . I think I will go with an audiologist then. One question though, how are you supposed to know if your impressions are deep enough in the ear or not? I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person than me would be able to tell the audiologist that they need to make the impressions deeper if the audiologist says something like "Ok, you're done" and the impressions really weren't deep enough in the ear yet.

Start here: http://www.hearingreview.com/issues/articles/2006-04_01.asp

 

Take care, Jim

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahu View Post

 (snip) they will give you impressions for hearing aids which won't be as deep.

Not true...

 

Hearing aid mold depth is more critical than IEM depth.

 

Look up occlusion effect.

 

Jim

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Not true...

 

Hearing aid mold depth is more critical than IEM depth.

 

Look up occlusion effect.

 

Jim

I don't know personally just repeating what my audiologist said. Isn't occlusion effect worse with deeper insertion cuz there's more bone contact?

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahu View Post

I don't know personally just repeating what my audiologist said. Isn't occlusion effect worse with deeper insertion cuz there's more bone contact?

Here is one read on the subject:

 

http://www.etymotic.com/publications/erl-0088-1988.pdf

 

Jim

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-A View Post

Huh. So you think that when people say the Audiologist messed their impressions up, that they are wrong most of the time and that it was really the person making your earpieces out of your molds far away?

 

That's nice . . . I think I will go with an audiologist then. One question though, how are you supposed to know if your impressions are deep enough in the ear or not? I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person than me would be able to tell the audiologist that they need to make the impressions deeper if the audiologist says something like "Ok, you're done" and the impressions really weren't deep enough in the ear yet.

 

You can pretty much feel it.. if you bring a paper with instructions from the manufacturer it'd make it a lot simpler. When they were putting in the cotton blocker, I could tell it was in way beyond what was normal (I generally clean my ears myself so I know it was way deeper than what I usually do). I'd say ask if they're familiar with doing impressions for musicians. If they seem like they don't know what you're talking about, don't go there.

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Here is one read on the subject:

 

http://www.etymotic.com/publications/erl-0088-1988.pdf

 

Jim

Yeh that report says that a deeper ear mold will reduce the occlusion effect. Still, my audiologist said that they usually take impressions to the secend bend but not beyond whereas for ciems they are asked to take the impression past the second bend.

post #12 of 15

I know on at least one ciem website they had a list of recomended audiologists in just about every area in the US listed. I don't remember who's website it was, but if you find it and make some phone calls and find out if their used to doing this type of stuff I would probably go to them. This is of course if you are living in the US.

 

In terms of doing the impressions I get it professionally done, for all the reasons others have listed. And that when you start doing certain things it's more of an art that requires a lot of practice than just mere knowledge. So chances are they will be able to get a better impression than you can the first time.

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahu View Post
 

If your audiologist speaks English you can just tell them what you want :) I think most ciem companies also have a printout to give your audiologist. If you don't tell them you are getting in ear monitors then they will give you impressions for hearing aids which won't be as deep.

 

Another reason to go to an audiologist is they will give you a brief ear exam first. You might have some kind of physical problem like "surfer's ear" bone growth or something. Or you might just not have cleaned your ears enough. Good things to know before having impressions done.

That is true . . . 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhaur View Post
 

I know on at least one ciem website they had a list of recomended audiologists in just about every area in the US listed. I don't remember who's website it was, but if you find it and make some phone calls and find out if their used to doing this type of stuff I would probably go to them. This is of course if you are living in the US.

 

In terms of doing the impressions I get it professionally done, for all the reasons others have listed. And that when you start doing certain things it's more of an art that requires a lot of practice than just mere knowledge. So chances are they will be able to get a better impression than you can the first time.

You think anyone would have recommended audiologists for people in Alaska? tongue.gif

 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeVeeN View Post
 

 

You can pretty much feel it.. if you bring a paper with instructions from the manufacturer it'd make it a lot simpler. When they were putting in the cotton blocker, I could tell it was in way beyond what was normal (I generally clean my ears myself so I know it was way deeper than what I usually do). I'd say ask if they're familiar with doing impressions for musicians. If they seem like they don't know what you're talking about, don't go there.

Hard to go wrong with that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
 

Start here: http://www.hearingreview.com/issues/articles/2006-04_01.asp

 

Take care, Jim

 

Thanks, that was helpful.


Edited by Double-A - 9/9/13 at 11:43am
post #14 of 15
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › How often do Audiologists mess up when getting impressions of your ears?