Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters - Page 15

post #211 of 289

Here's the latest from Dale about my AS-2's...

 

The mesh we have been using has become problematic for some people's ears so we have an update which will fix the issue.

post #212 of 289
Thread Starter 

Have you gotten that update yet? Curious to hear how your experience went. I haven't had any problems with my AS-2's at all. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgohler View Post

Here's the latest from Dale about my AS-2's...

 

The mesh we have been using has become problematic for some people's ears so we have an update which will fix the issue.

post #213 of 289
Thanks for asking about the mesh replacement for my AS-2'S Kenman. Before sending them I hadn't experienced any discomfort, just a loss of sound level in the left ear. They came back sounding good again :-). The only difference that I can see is a little transverse bar bisecting each ear opening. It must be a part of the update design...
post #214 of 289
Thread Starter 

Interesting. Let me know in a few weeks how the modifications have worked out for you. Hopefully everything functions like it should now. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgohler View Post

Thanks for asking about the mesh replacement for my AS-2'S Kenman. Before sending them I hadn't experienced any discomfort, just a loss of sound level in the left ear. They came back sounding good again :-). The only difference that I can see is a little transverse bar bisecting each ear opening. It must be a part of the update design...

Edited by kenman345 - 11/25/12 at 6:37am
post #215 of 289

I just got my Aurisonics AS-2's and am in audio heaven.To me the big difference is I hear all the freq. in a clean, clear and very natural way. My volume level has dropped by about 40% because these seem to be very efficient. The people at Aurisonics are the best and have a product that IMHO will change the face of IEM's for a very long time to come. I ordered the AS-2's with the Bass Port (which really works), had them polished clear and have the Black Rhodium finish which happens to match (I didn't set out to do this) of my drummers Roland KV30 electronic Drum Kit.

I can understand why some might not be over the top about a IEM system based on a 15 mm full range driver which is the cornerstone of the Aurisonics platform. If the person wanting the IEM's has had hearing damage such as long exposure in small local rock clubs where they have not discovered that sheer volume is not the answer might be impressed by standard high end IEM's from other companies using only hearing aid armatures. They by comparison tend to have more edge but in reality are only trying to get through damaged tissue by exposure to high volume music for too long.

Most people who dream about being on a concert stage don't have a clue about how loud a real stage is. When one sees a big rock act with a wall of 4x12cabs think OMG it really rocks.

They most of the time could not be farther from the truth. Usually at two or three stage positions will be metal grates with either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab under the stage and that's it.

Sheer volume only gets you hearing damage, playing really bad music and ok sometimes waking up with a girl beside you who you really do not want to take home to mom.

If you can hear on stage you have won a huge battle and might have a chance to elevate and survive in the music biz.

Getting back to Aurisonics Dale, Andy and company are the kind of people who you will like giving your hard earned money to and trust me you will treasure their product once it is in your hands.

Questions pleas feel free to contact me anytime.

Sincerely,

 

Warren

post #216 of 289

Macmedic, your dismissive characterization of balanced armatures as being "hearing aid armatures" is misleading at best. Balanced armature drivers are full-range devices.

post #217 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmedic View Post

I just got my Aurisonics AS-2's and am in audio heaven.To me the big difference is I hear all the freq. in a clean, clear and very natural way. My volume level has dropped by about 40% because these seem to be very efficient. The people at Aurisonics are the best and have a product that IMHO will change the face of IEM's for a very long time to come. I ordered the AS-2's with the Bass Port (which really works), had them polished clear and have the Black Rhodium finish which happens to match (I didn't set out to do this) of my drummers Roland KV30 electronic Drum Kit.

I can understand why some might not be over the top about a IEM system based on a 15 mm full range driver which is the cornerstone of the Aurisonics platform. If the person wanting the IEM's has had hearing damage such as long exposure in small local rock clubs where they have not discovered that sheer volume is not the answer might be impressed by standard high end IEM's from other companies using only hearing aid armatures. They by comparison tend to have more edge but in reality are only trying to get through damaged tissue by exposure to high volume music for too long.

Most people who dream about being on a concert stage don't have a clue about how loud a real stage is. When one sees a big rock act with a wall of 4x12cabs think OMG it really rocks.

They most of the time could not be farther from the truth. Usually at two or three stage positions will be metal grates with either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab under the stage and that's it.

Sheer volume only gets you hearing damage, playing really bad music and ok sometimes waking up with a girl beside you who you really do not want to take home to mom.

If you can hear on stage you have won a huge battle and might have a chance to elevate and survive in the music biz.

Getting back to Aurisonics Dale, Andy and company are the kind of people who you will like giving your hard earned money to and trust me you will treasure their product once it is in your hands.

Questions pleas feel free to contact me anytime.

Sincerely,

 

Warren

 

Thanks for the impressions! Could you compare the AS-2s to any other IEMs or headphones you have heard so we could get a better idea of what they sound like?  Thanks!

post #218 of 289
Thread Starter 

Welcome to the party. Glad to hear you're happy with the Black Rhodium plates. Must look sexy and sound even better. How long have you had them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmedic View Post

I just got my Aurisonics AS-2's and am in audio heaven.To me the big difference is I hear all the freq. in a clean, clear and very natural way. My volume level has dropped by about 40% because these seem to be very efficient. The people at Aurisonics are the best and have a product that IMHO will change the face of IEM's for a very long time to come. I ordered the AS-2's with the Bass Port (which really works), had them polished clear and have the Black Rhodium finish which happens to match (I didn't set out to do this) of my drummers Roland KV30 electronic Drum Kit.

I can understand why some might not be over the top about a IEM system based on a 15 mm full range driver which is the cornerstone of the Aurisonics platform. If the person wanting the IEM's has had hearing damage such as long exposure in small local rock clubs where they have not discovered that sheer volume is not the answer might be impressed by standard high end IEM's from other companies using only hearing aid armatures. They by comparison tend to have more edge but in reality are only trying to get through damaged tissue by exposure to high volume music for too long.

Most people who dream about being on a concert stage don't have a clue about how loud a real stage is. When one sees a big rock act with a wall of 4x12cabs think OMG it really rocks.

They most of the time could not be farther from the truth. Usually at two or three stage positions will be metal grates with either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab under the stage and that's it.

Sheer volume only gets you hearing damage, playing really bad music and ok sometimes waking up with a girl beside you who you really do not want to take home to mom.

If you can hear on stage you have won a huge battle and might have a chance to elevate and survive in the music biz.

Getting back to Aurisonics Dale, Andy and company are the kind of people who you will like giving your hard earned money to and trust me you will treasure their product once it is in your hands.

Questions pleas feel free to contact me anytime.

Sincerely,

 

Warren

post #219 of 289

How about some actual impressions on the sound....

post #220 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

How about some actual impressions on the sound....

Seconded on that, especially in regards to how they perform against other BA type hi end phones. Some specifics would be nice since you cracked open that jar of pickles by somewhat dismissing the performance of armatures (never mind the AS2 featuring arms in their design)...
post #221 of 289
Thread Starter 

The BA's in the AS-2's are "next generation". That being said, like all hot keywords used by CIEM companies, you really need to hear the product to know what separates this BA(s) from others. From what I hear, you won't be able to tell you're using a BA. The dynamic driver is full-range, meaning their is overlap of the Dynamic Driver and the BA's. I think the BA's in the AS-2's help give it it's great treble extension while not making it feel too different from the way the other ranges sound. That might be a bit confusing but its basically that you don't really notice what's coming from the BA and whats coming from the dynamic driver. They work together hand in hand, to the point where you will be getting the benefits of the BA yet none of the drawbacks because of the harmony between the drivers. Dale mentioned months ago before the AS-2 came out that it was supposed to be a dual dynamic driver. He wouldn't have changed out the second dynamic driver if he thought he was replacing it with something inferior to it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Seconded on that, especially in regards to how they perform against other BA type hi end phones. Some specifics would be nice since you cracked open that jar of pickles by somewhat dismissing the performance of armatures (never mind the AS2 featuring arms in their design)...
post #222 of 289
Yeah I'm familiar with the legacy surrounding the BAs in the AS2. One thing I did come across that was worrying was a quick mention in an ASG-1 review over at Headfonia. Mike from that site mentions that he feels the AS2 wasn't to his liking because the top end sounded "shrill and was prone to sibilance". I know that's only one take on them, but I'm eager to find out for myself.
post #223 of 289

I mean, I'm sure like all things, YHMV (Your Hearing May Vary)

post #224 of 289
Thread Starter 

In all honesty he's right. They do have a tendency to be sibilant. You misquoted him, but I can explain it quite well. The AS-2's are revealing. What he considers sibilant, and what I have agreed is a bit annoying to the sibilance comment, is that he isn't hearing the sibilance in the BA's, but rather the sibilance in the mastering of the track. They are super revealing. I have noticed an equal amount of sibilance on any headphone/speaker system I hear of equal or near same quality. If the track is recorded well and their is proper tweaks to the channels during post, then you are perfectly fine. These CIEM's are meant to be used during mastering sessions as well as other times in a music professionals career. I had to get my friend to help me take a de-S'er to remove the sibilance myself from tracks and then they were fine. I have yet to find a moment where I am getting sibilance from something out of the AS-2's that I didnt already hear previously in other setups. Just the AS-2's are better than most my other gear, so it's a slight bit more prominent. 

 

In short, it's an issue with the other links in the chain, not the AS-2 itself. This may seem silly but it's really how it is. At least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Yeah I'm familiar with the legacy surrounding the BAs in the AS2. One thing I did come across that was worrying was a quick mention in an ASG-1 review over at Headfonia. Mike from that site mentions that he feels the AS2 wasn't to his liking because the top end sounded "shrill and was prone to sibilance". I know that's only one take on them, but I'm eager to find out for myself.
post #225 of 289
No you're right, I was paraphrasing since I'm on an iPad and didn't want to look it up. I was rather curious as to whether the sibilant qualities could be attributed to the phones or the recording material, although being the admin of a headphones enthusiasts site, I'd imagine he'd have access to quality recordings. I guess as some individuals do, he might place more importance in the euphonic qualities of a phone rather than the technical aspects. That might explain why he found the ASG-1 more to his liking as they didn't call attention to the source's flaws? I'm not familiar with his reviewing criteria myself, so I can only speculate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters