Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? - Page 4

post #46 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogt3 View Post
Speaking of CanJam, any idea if this will happen with RMAF this year?

 

It will, and the relevant info is on the RMAF site: http://audiofest.net/2012/index.php

 

FYI, it should be called CanJam@RMAF and not just "CanJam", because the CanJam moniker used to refer to the independent, team-organized events that were more like meets and not vendor-oriented expos. The most recent CanJam was in 2010 in Chicago.

 

On the subject of the LCD-2 and LCD-3, I'd personally recommend the LCD-2 r2 and getting a B22 - that was the best pairing that I heard. The LCD-3 was barely an improvement over the LCD-2 r2. I wrote a review of them that can be found on this article: http://www.head-fi.org/a/asr-head-fi-threads-compendium


Edited by Asr - 7/22/12 at 8:52pm
post #47 of 210

There's been allot of talk about audeze only now  getting their game on with the LCD3s, so are you sure you didn't have a faulty one ? Not saying they don't have indeed barely improvement, just asking.

post #48 of 210

COG:

 

It might take a couple of weeks to get the LCD-2s and -3s from Cable Co, those cans are in high demand -- in fact somebody was waiting for the -3s when I had them.  I think I waited no more than a couple of weeks.  My guess is shipping for just 2 headphones will be in the $25 range or less if you are in the eastern half of the country, maybe a bit more in the west (remember, you are paying round trip, as they provide a return label).  If you are even considering any other cans that they have in the library, you might as well borrow them too:  the marginal cost is almost nothing, since the cheapest thing you are considering buying is nearly $1K, meaning you could theoretically borrow $20K worth of hardware and all it costs you is shipping.  They'll throw in extra cables too, some for free, some not, unless you tell them specifically not to.  Again, the real marginal cost is almost nothing for the cables (they don't weigh much, so the extra shipping cost is negligible), but you need to decide if you want them included.

 

I am REALLY interested in somebody trying the Mjolnir with the Audeze's, and you owe us a review in exchange for all of our "free" advice. wink.gif.  If I were you I would try to time the headphone delivery with the arrival of the amp.  Reading around here, it appears that you will get your amp in the next couple of weeks, so no big deal if you have to wait a week or two for the loaner Audezes.

 

And Audeze doesn't allow discounting, so the only way you would get them cheaper is used. 

post #49 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

It will, and the relevant info is on the RMAF site: http://audiofest.net/2012/index.php

 

FYI, it should be called CanJam@RMAF and not just "CanJam", because the CanJam moniker used to refer to the independent, team-organized events that were more like meets and not vendor-oriented expos. The most recent CanJam was in 2010 in Chicago.

 

On the subject of the LCD-2 and LCD-3, I'd personally recommend the LCD-2 r2 and getting a B22 - that was the best pairing that I heard. The LCD-3 was barely an improvement over the LCD-2 r2. I wrote a review of them that can be found on this article: http://www.head-fi.org/a/asr-head-fi-threads-compendium


Asr:

 

My view of the LCDs is very similar to yours, but I do believe you had an earlier version of the -3s, which reportedly had issues with the treble, among other problems.  I found the latest iteration of the -3s to have very accurate treble, not exaggerated like the HD800s.  I think this also could have affected your impressions of their dynamic range and sound stage.  I find that because of the depth and timbre-reproduction capability on the -3s, they don't need to be loud to produce detailed, full-bodied sound, and playing them at lower volumes does enable me to hear more differentiation in the dynamics, plus it definitely moves the soundstage back some.  I agree, compared to the HD800s they do not provide great distance from the stage, and do provide less of a sonic wall with classical.  But with rock and other small groups, such as small a cappella or jazz bands, they sound incredible.

post #50 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

If it's an LCD-3 you're after, you won't find a better amp than the Cavalli Liquid Fire to drive it.  The rub is, MSRP is over $3k. 

 

Other than the Trafomatic HeadOne, HeadAmp GS-1, Woo WA22, Apex Peak, Burson Soloist, AMB B22.  The real rub, its stupidly overpriced for its BOM and performance.  In my experience, it should be in the $1000 range but even then with my preference for clarity and drive, I wouldn't get another one.  Oh and they're unobtanium since they are sold out and not in production.  Though there was one for sale on the forum for more than the rest of us paid/sold for.  If that one comes back at $2400 with a premium tube set then you might be able to hear for yourself and not lose your shirt in the deal.

post #51 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

To each their own and music taste has a lot to do with it but...

 

LCD-2 w/ B22 is better than O2 MkI w/ KGSS and cheaper ;)  I dropped my O2MkI/KGSS for a Rev1 and 2 channel B22.  Hate to see how fast I would have decided if it was the LCD-3 and Peak instead :D

 

Heh, you must really hated that combination didn't you? 

 

The O2 is definitely not the perfect headphone that some people like to claim but I don't think I will go that far. In the end everything will depend on your musical preferences and what sonic characteristics you're looking for in your system. Looking at your current system right now I'm 80% certain you're a treble-head. tongue.gif

post #52 of 210

Yes it pisses me off when someone declares a certain amp as being the absolute best for a particular phone.

Even if that person had heard ALL the contenders it would still only be their opinion in one system. My Master-6 is stunning with the LCD2.2 but I am not going to say its the best.

post #53 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget67 View Post

I opted for the LCD-2 rev 2 and a Burson HA 160 D but first got my feet wet with a Sennheiser 600 and FIIO E-9 and FIIO E 17 to get a feel for how Headfi would work out for me.

 

Looks like we've come from similar places. I loved my HD600 for a long, long time... until I was exposed to the LCD-2.

 

I'm now a happy owner of a Burson 160D and LCD-2 rev1. They get very little headtime, because my lifestyle has changed and I don't spend much time at home anymore. But I still can't sell them, because the headtime that I DO get is amazing.

 

Tone > all, in my book, and LCD-2 is one of the very, very few headphones to beat the HD600 in that area.

 

Back on topic, to the OP: diminishing returns factors in pretty sharply with amps and dac's I've found. I'd opt for the LCD-3 with a $1000 amp (provided you also have a decent source).

post #54 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

Yes it pisses me off when someone declares a certain amp as being the absolute best for a particular phone.

Even if that person had heard ALL the contenders it would still only be their opinion in one system. My Master-6 is stunning with the LCD2.2 but I am not going to say its the best.

 

Should we bring back the obligatory IMO after every statement?

post #55 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post

Heh, you must really hated that combination didn't you? 

Looking at your current system right now I'm 80% certain you're a treble-head. tongue.gif

 

I loved it for the 4 years I had it and it was an easy sell as being better than the HD650 it replaced just not the ortos.  Treble head?  If anything I'm a whee bit bass-head :p

post #56 of 210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

The Mjolnir could very well wipe the floor with a ton of amps.  Guess we'll know very soon.  I'm hoping to get in on the post pre-order batch.  Need to clear some inventory first wink.gif


This also brings up the magical question of diminishing returns. LCD-2 and Schiit Mjolnir at $1750 or LCD-3 and your used B22 for $3500? Is it going to be twice as good? I know it a question only the individual can answer (and yes I own some diminished return products).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh
post #57 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmclean View Post

 

Should we bring back the obligatory IMO after every statement?

No, only after stupid statements with no facts to back them up. wink_face.gif

post #58 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

I loved it for the 4 years I had it and it was an easy sell as being better than the HD650 it replaced just not the ortos.  Treble head?  If anything I'm a whee bit bass-head :p

 

Oh don't worry, all of us are. Admitting to it on the other hand... evil_smiley.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogt3 View Post


This also brings up the magical question of diminishing returns. LCD-2 and Schiit Mjolnir at $1750 or LCD-3 and your used B22 for $3500? Is it going to be twice as good? I know it a question only the individual can answer (and yes I own some diminished return products).

 

I honestly have yet to hear a Schiit product that rocks my socks off and I seriously doubt that it will change with their latest creations. 

post #59 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogt3 View Post

Is it going to be twice as good?

 

Hells no!  Diminishing returns are in full effect at this performance level.  I'd say closer to a combined 20%.

post #60 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

No, only after stupid statements with no facts to back them up. wink_face.gif

 

Good to know I'm not entitled to an opinion.  Opinions don't need to backed by facts, that's why they're opinions.

 

That said, I assessed that the CLF was the best headphone amplifier that I've personally heard in combination with the LCD-3 (note that this encompasses only the headphone amps that I've heard the headphones with).  I've heard the LCD-3 through EC 2A3, WA22, Apex Pinnacle, RWA Audez'e Edition, CEntrance DACmini, CLAS/Rx MkIII-B, and probably a few others.

 

Fixed my old post, so maybe it'll meet your standards now: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618984/audeze-lcd-3-and-1k-amp-or-audeze-lcd-2-and-2k-where-is-the-sweet-spot/30#post_8553453.  But it probably still won't.  I'm sure you'll find something else to complain about.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?