- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson Audio Soloist Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRay Samuels Emmeline - The Apachetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best tube amp for LCD-3 Last post on 12/3/14 at 6:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 7/17/14 at 1:10am in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations: Tube amp for HD800, <$2,000? Last post on 9/18/12 at 3:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good Amp for Denon D7000 Last post on 3/25/13 at 3:28am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Incipio F38 Remember the famous budget cans, the RP-HTF600? They we're great once modded, and so are these! So let's talk. This won't be a Super Detailed Review. Overall Sound: Highs...
wouldn't recommend if you're going to pay for $100 or above. Reasonable price should have been around $70. The only selling point is the open soundstage, would make a goid pair for movies or...
Just purchased these to see if the review-ratings were any close to reality. Quite a bit yeah. I thought it's good to have them with you if you want to occasionally let a friend listen with...
Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? - Page 14post #196 of 2103/18/13 at 1:56am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2103/18/13 at 5:15pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't heard the Centrance DAC-MINI.post #198 of 2103/19/13 at 2:52ampost #199 of 2103/19/13 at 5:49am
I'm wondering the same since i'm planning to get the LCD3, the Dacmini is very good with HE-500 and LCD2r2 thoughpost #200 of 2103/19/13 at 10:21am
LCD3 and $1000 amp, hands down.
IME, the amp is the least important part of the chain, providing said amp is of reasonably good design, build and more importantly, adequately powered.
Headphone>source>amp.....in that order.
post #201 of 2103/19/13 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gary in MD
It might take a couple of weeks to get the LCD-2s and -3s from Cable Co, those cans are in high demand -- in fact somebody was waiting for the -3s when I had them. I think I waited no more than a couple of weeks. My guess is shipping for just 2 headphones will be in the $25 range or less if you are in the eastern half of the country, maybe a bit more in the west (remember, you are paying round trip, as they provide a return label). If you are even considering any other cans that they have in the library, you might as well borrow them too: the marginal cost is almost nothing, since the cheapest thing you are considering buying is nearly $1K, meaning you could theoretically borrow $20K worth of hardware and all it costs you is shipping. They'll throw in extra cables too, some for free, some not, unless you tell them specifically not to. Again, the real marginal cost is almost nothing for the cables (they don't weigh much, so the extra shipping cost is negligible), but you need to decide if you want them included.
I am REALLY interested in somebody trying the Mjolnir with the Audeze's, and you owe us a review in exchange for all of our "free" advice. . If I were you I would try to time the headphone delivery with the arrival of the amp. Reading around here, it appears that you will get your amp in the next couple of weeks, so no big deal if you have to wait a week or two for the loaner Audezes.
And Audeze doesn't allow discounting, so the only way you would get them cheaper is used.post #202 of 2103/22/13 at 7:08pmI am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.post #203 of 2103/23/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
I am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.
Keep the Bifrost, that way you're not without a DAC.
The Bifrost is completely competent and may help you appreciate how much
of a step up Gungnir or you next DAC is.
Not to mention that sucker will sell fast.post #204 of 2103/23/13 at 10:57amQuote:
Perhaps he is thinking of return as in money back under trial period?
Edited by Saraguie - 3/23/13 at 11:09ampost #205 of 2103/23/13 at 11:06amQuote:
Either way. He pretty much said he's returning Bifrost, but won't have the funds for Gungnir for some time.
He may as well keep Bifrost in the meantime because it has a good/fast resale value.
And uh, allows him to not be DAC-less.post #206 of 2103/23/13 at 11:11amQuote:
Yup i agree with you, its what I would do. I would not go DAC-less. Next to cans and source (lossless and decent means to get to the songs) a DAC is right up there.post #207 of 2103/23/13 at 11:46ampost #208 of 2108/18/13 at 5:37pm
Boy, I agree with that. Listening to my LCD3 without a DAC, even with an excellent amp, loses way too much. Of course, there's always a DAC--in my case, built into my Macbook Pro, but even a modest outboard DAC is a big improvement over that.post #209 of 2101/18/14 at 5:18pmpost #210 of 2108/11/14 at 1:08pm
We had a Southern California meet couple days ago and I got a chance to listen to a bunch of audezes ie. LCD X, LCD XC, LCD 3/fazor. I owned LCD 2.2 non fazor.
They are all VERY good sounding headphone and you can't go wrong with any of them. They're expensive but if your objective is to have the best experience than they will not disappoint.
Do I hear differences between LCD 2 vs 3 ?
YES! There's a reason why 3 is twice more money than it's little brother 2. IMO, LCD 3 is more refined, cleaner, balanced, beautiful presentation, fuller sound and most natural sound coming from a headphone. LCD 2 is just a little behind. Is the twice as much price worth it ? it's all up to you...for me, simply Yes.
I also get a chance to listen to The All Mighty Stax SR 009 w/ Blue Hawaii amp..WOW they're different but not too far off.
The 2014 edition with Fazor makes a huge different to me. I hear better clarity, way better separation and imaging like watching 65" 4K High Def 3-D TV. While LCD 2 is 55" High Def 3-D TV.
I listened to those headphone straight out of FiiO X5 ( drive them just fine), with E12, RSA Predator, and ALO Continental V2.
You guys probably think meh... these are just beginner portable cheap little amp. In my IMO, these amps alone is enough to bring these phones to the next level where I feel very satisfied and most of all I found what I've been looking for. The Key is in the Headphone!
That's why at you see most vendors using either HD 800 or LCD phones to demo their products!
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 1 second ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 45 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › um pro 30 or w4r? 1 minute ago
- › Downsizing! HD700, He-400i, Denon D2000. Price Drops! 1 minute ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2