- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson Audio Soloist Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRay Samuels Emmeline - The Apachetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best tube amp for LCD-3 Last post on 5/14/15 at 8:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 11/21/15 at 4:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations: Tube amp for HD800, <$2,000? Last post on 9/18/12 at 3:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good Amp for Denon D7000 Last post on 3/25/13 at 3:28am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
First of all I would like to thank the team at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk for the review sample I had the opportunity to test out and to write a bit about it. This is a good sounding music player...
I’ll be honest. When I was offered a review unit of the Turbines, I was not really looking forward to reviewing them. The CGI render of the Turbines that Ghostek commonly uses for promotion...
Review: Cleer DU High Definition Dual-Driver Headphone Introduction It was a brisk day in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I attended AXPONA, which is the Audio Expo North...
Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? - Page 14post #196 of 2103/18/13 at 1:56am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2103/18/13 at 5:15pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't heard the Centrance DAC-MINI.post #198 of 2103/19/13 at 2:52ampost #199 of 2103/19/13 at 5:49am
I'm wondering the same since i'm planning to get the LCD3, the Dacmini is very good with HE-500 and LCD2r2 thoughpost #200 of 2103/19/13 at 10:21am
LCD3 and $1000 amp, hands down.
IME, the amp is the least important part of the chain, providing said amp is of reasonably good design, build and more importantly, adequately powered.
Headphone>source>amp.....in that order.
post #201 of 2103/19/13 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gary in MD
It might take a couple of weeks to get the LCD-2s and -3s from Cable Co, those cans are in high demand -- in fact somebody was waiting for the -3s when I had them. I think I waited no more than a couple of weeks. My guess is shipping for just 2 headphones will be in the $25 range or less if you are in the eastern half of the country, maybe a bit more in the west (remember, you are paying round trip, as they provide a return label). If you are even considering any other cans that they have in the library, you might as well borrow them too: the marginal cost is almost nothing, since the cheapest thing you are considering buying is nearly $1K, meaning you could theoretically borrow $20K worth of hardware and all it costs you is shipping. They'll throw in extra cables too, some for free, some not, unless you tell them specifically not to. Again, the real marginal cost is almost nothing for the cables (they don't weigh much, so the extra shipping cost is negligible), but you need to decide if you want them included.
I am REALLY interested in somebody trying the Mjolnir with the Audeze's, and you owe us a review in exchange for all of our "free" advice. . If I were you I would try to time the headphone delivery with the arrival of the amp. Reading around here, it appears that you will get your amp in the next couple of weeks, so no big deal if you have to wait a week or two for the loaner Audezes.
And Audeze doesn't allow discounting, so the only way you would get them cheaper is used.post #202 of 2103/22/13 at 7:08pmI am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.post #203 of 2103/23/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
I am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.
Keep the Bifrost, that way you're not without a DAC.
The Bifrost is completely competent and may help you appreciate how much
of a step up Gungnir or you next DAC is.
Not to mention that sucker will sell fast.post #204 of 2103/23/13 at 10:57amQuote:
Perhaps he is thinking of return as in money back under trial period?
Edited by Saraguie - 3/23/13 at 11:09ampost #205 of 2103/23/13 at 11:06amQuote:
Either way. He pretty much said he's returning Bifrost, but won't have the funds for Gungnir for some time.
He may as well keep Bifrost in the meantime because it has a good/fast resale value.
And uh, allows him to not be DAC-less.post #206 of 2103/23/13 at 11:11amQuote:
Yup i agree with you, its what I would do. I would not go DAC-less. Next to cans and source (lossless and decent means to get to the songs) a DAC is right up there.post #207 of 2103/23/13 at 11:46ampost #208 of 2108/18/13 at 5:37pm
Boy, I agree with that. Listening to my LCD3 without a DAC, even with an excellent amp, loses way too much. Of course, there's always a DAC--in my case, built into my Macbook Pro, but even a modest outboard DAC is a big improvement over that.post #209 of 2101/18/14 at 5:18pmpost #210 of 2108/11/14 at 1:08pm
We had a Southern California meet couple days ago and I got a chance to listen to a bunch of audezes ie. LCD X, LCD XC, LCD 3/fazor. I owned LCD 2.2 non fazor.
They are all VERY good sounding headphone and you can't go wrong with any of them. They're expensive but if your objective is to have the best experience than they will not disappoint.
Do I hear differences between LCD 2 vs 3 ?
YES! There's a reason why 3 is twice more money than it's little brother 2. IMO, LCD 3 is more refined, cleaner, balanced, beautiful presentation, fuller sound and most natural sound coming from a headphone. LCD 2 is just a little behind. Is the twice as much price worth it ? it's all up to you...for me, simply Yes.
I also get a chance to listen to The All Mighty Stax SR 009 w/ Blue Hawaii amp..WOW they're different but not too far off.
The 2014 edition with Fazor makes a huge different to me. I hear better clarity, way better separation and imaging like watching 65" 4K High Def 3-D TV. While LCD 2 is 55" High Def 3-D TV.
I listened to those headphone straight out of FiiO X5 ( drive them just fine), with E12, RSA Predator, and ALO Continental V2.
You guys probably think meh... these are just beginner portable cheap little amp. In my IMO, these amps alone is enough to bring these phones to the next level where I feel very satisfied and most of all I found what I've been looking for. The Key is in the Headphone!
That's why at you see most vendors using either HD 800 or LCD phones to demo their products!
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 1 minute ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Plussound Audio Thread 6 minutes ago
- › IEM under $70 6 minutes ago
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...