- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson Audio Soloist Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRay Samuels Emmeline - The Apachetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 12/5/12 at 2:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 4/10/14 at 11:28am in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations: Tube amp for HD800, <$2,000? Last post on 9/18/12 at 3:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good Amp for Denon D7000 Last post on 3/25/13 at 3:28am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for a noob that likes to only buy once...? Last post on 9/30/12 at 5:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? - Page 14post #196 of 2093/18/13 at 1:56am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2093/18/13 at 5:15pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't heard the Centrance DAC-MINI.post #198 of 2093/19/13 at 2:52ampost #199 of 2093/19/13 at 5:49am
I'm wondering the same since i'm planning to get the LCD3, the Dacmini is very good with HE-500 and LCD2r2 thoughpost #200 of 2093/19/13 at 10:21am
LCD3 and $1000 amp, hands down.
IME, the amp is the least important part of the chain, providing said amp is of reasonably good design, build and more importantly, adequately powered.
Headphone>source>amp.....in that order.
post #201 of 2093/19/13 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gary in MD
It might take a couple of weeks to get the LCD-2s and -3s from Cable Co, those cans are in high demand -- in fact somebody was waiting for the -3s when I had them. I think I waited no more than a couple of weeks. My guess is shipping for just 2 headphones will be in the $25 range or less if you are in the eastern half of the country, maybe a bit more in the west (remember, you are paying round trip, as they provide a return label). If you are even considering any other cans that they have in the library, you might as well borrow them too: the marginal cost is almost nothing, since the cheapest thing you are considering buying is nearly $1K, meaning you could theoretically borrow $20K worth of hardware and all it costs you is shipping. They'll throw in extra cables too, some for free, some not, unless you tell them specifically not to. Again, the real marginal cost is almost nothing for the cables (they don't weigh much, so the extra shipping cost is negligible), but you need to decide if you want them included.
I am REALLY interested in somebody trying the Mjolnir with the Audeze's, and you owe us a review in exchange for all of our "free" advice. . If I were you I would try to time the headphone delivery with the arrival of the amp. Reading around here, it appears that you will get your amp in the next couple of weeks, so no big deal if you have to wait a week or two for the loaner Audezes.
And Audeze doesn't allow discounting, so the only way you would get them cheaper is used.post #202 of 2093/22/13 at 7:08pmI am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.post #203 of 2093/23/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
I am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.
Keep the Bifrost, that way you're not without a DAC.
The Bifrost is completely competent and may help you appreciate how much
of a step up Gungnir or you next DAC is.
Not to mention that sucker will sell fast.post #204 of 2093/23/13 at 10:57amQuote:
Perhaps he is thinking of return as in money back under trial period?
Edited by Saraguie - 3/23/13 at 11:09ampost #205 of 2093/23/13 at 11:06amQuote:
Either way. He pretty much said he's returning Bifrost, but won't have the funds for Gungnir for some time.
He may as well keep Bifrost in the meantime because it has a good/fast resale value.
And uh, allows him to not be DAC-less.post #206 of 2093/23/13 at 11:11amQuote:
Yup i agree with you, its what I would do. I would not go DAC-less. Next to cans and source (lossless and decent means to get to the songs) a DAC is right up there.post #207 of 2093/23/13 at 11:46ampost #208 of 2098/18/13 at 5:37pm
Boy, I agree with that. Listening to my LCD3 without a DAC, even with an excellent amp, loses way too much. Of course, there's always a DAC--in my case, built into my Macbook Pro, but even a modest outboard DAC is a big improvement over that.post #209 of 2091/18/14 at 5:18pm
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 4 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 14 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 46 seconds ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Worst speakers you have ever heard 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Need DAC Advice 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob