- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productBurson Audio Soloist Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productRay Samuels Emmeline - The Apachetagged by System, 7/26/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best tube amp for LCD-3 Last post on 5/14/15 at 8:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 11/21/15 at 4:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations: Tube amp for HD800, <$2,000? Last post on 9/18/12 at 3:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good Amp for Denon D7000 Last post on 3/25/13 at 3:28am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? - Page 14post #196 of 2103/18/13 at 1:56am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2103/18/13 at 5:15pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't heard the Centrance DAC-MINI.post #198 of 2103/19/13 at 2:52ampost #199 of 2103/19/13 at 5:49am
I'm wondering the same since i'm planning to get the LCD3, the Dacmini is very good with HE-500 and LCD2r2 thoughpost #200 of 2103/19/13 at 10:21am
LCD3 and $1000 amp, hands down.
IME, the amp is the least important part of the chain, providing said amp is of reasonably good design, build and more importantly, adequately powered.
Headphone>source>amp.....in that order.
post #201 of 2103/19/13 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gary in MD
It might take a couple of weeks to get the LCD-2s and -3s from Cable Co, those cans are in high demand -- in fact somebody was waiting for the -3s when I had them. I think I waited no more than a couple of weeks. My guess is shipping for just 2 headphones will be in the $25 range or less if you are in the eastern half of the country, maybe a bit more in the west (remember, you are paying round trip, as they provide a return label). If you are even considering any other cans that they have in the library, you might as well borrow them too: the marginal cost is almost nothing, since the cheapest thing you are considering buying is nearly $1K, meaning you could theoretically borrow $20K worth of hardware and all it costs you is shipping. They'll throw in extra cables too, some for free, some not, unless you tell them specifically not to. Again, the real marginal cost is almost nothing for the cables (they don't weigh much, so the extra shipping cost is negligible), but you need to decide if you want them included.
I am REALLY interested in somebody trying the Mjolnir with the Audeze's, and you owe us a review in exchange for all of our "free" advice. . If I were you I would try to time the headphone delivery with the arrival of the amp. Reading around here, it appears that you will get your amp in the next couple of weeks, so no big deal if you have to wait a week or two for the loaner Audezes.
And Audeze doesn't allow discounting, so the only way you would get them cheaper is used.post #202 of 2103/22/13 at 7:08pmI am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.post #203 of 2103/23/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
I am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.
Keep the Bifrost, that way you're not without a DAC.
The Bifrost is completely competent and may help you appreciate how much
of a step up Gungnir or you next DAC is.
Not to mention that sucker will sell fast.post #204 of 2103/23/13 at 10:57amQuote:
Perhaps he is thinking of return as in money back under trial period?
Edited by Saraguie - 3/23/13 at 11:09ampost #205 of 2103/23/13 at 11:06amQuote:
Either way. He pretty much said he's returning Bifrost, but won't have the funds for Gungnir for some time.
He may as well keep Bifrost in the meantime because it has a good/fast resale value.
And uh, allows him to not be DAC-less.post #206 of 2103/23/13 at 11:11amQuote:
Yup i agree with you, its what I would do. I would not go DAC-less. Next to cans and source (lossless and decent means to get to the songs) a DAC is right up there.post #207 of 2103/23/13 at 11:46ampost #208 of 2108/18/13 at 5:37pm
Boy, I agree with that. Listening to my LCD3 without a DAC, even with an excellent amp, loses way too much. Of course, there's always a DAC--in my case, built into my Macbook Pro, but even a modest outboard DAC is a big improvement over that.post #209 of 2101/18/14 at 5:18pmpost #210 of 2108/11/14 at 1:08pm
We had a Southern California meet couple days ago and I got a chance to listen to a bunch of audezes ie. LCD X, LCD XC, LCD 3/fazor. I owned LCD 2.2 non fazor.
They are all VERY good sounding headphone and you can't go wrong with any of them. They're expensive but if your objective is to have the best experience than they will not disappoint.
Do I hear differences between LCD 2 vs 3 ?
YES! There's a reason why 3 is twice more money than it's little brother 2. IMO, LCD 3 is more refined, cleaner, balanced, beautiful presentation, fuller sound and most natural sound coming from a headphone. LCD 2 is just a little behind. Is the twice as much price worth it ? it's all up to you...for me, simply Yes.
I also get a chance to listen to The All Mighty Stax SR 009 w/ Blue Hawaii amp..WOW they're different but not too far off.
The 2014 edition with Fazor makes a huge different to me. I hear better clarity, way better separation and imaging like watching 65" 4K High Def 3-D TV. While LCD 2 is 55" High Def 3-D TV.
I listened to those headphone straight out of FiiO X5 ( drive them just fine), with E12, RSA Predator, and ALO Continental V2.
You guys probably think meh... these are just beginner portable cheap little amp. In my IMO, these amps alone is enough to bring these phones to the next level where I feel very satisfied and most of all I found what I've been looking for. The Key is in the Headphone!
That's why at you see most vendors using either HD 800 or LCD phones to demo their products!
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › WTB: Hifiman HEX v2 2 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Can't Decide (Portable Headphones) 26 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 38 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 54 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear