Well the title about sums it up. Currently have just a DVD drive in my PC workstation/entertainment center/juke box and it definitely makes a high-pitched whirring sound when playing a DVD. Not super loud mind you, but just noticeable enough to be slightly annoying. Since I built my PC to be as quiet as possible, the drive's spin might not even be noticeable on a PC with noisy fans. So anywaze, if any other quiet computer builders have any recommendations for an internal Blu-Ray drive please share. A bonus would be if it is considered extra-acurate for ripping CDs.
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 7/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 2/14/15 at 10:50pm in Computer Audio
It is nearing two months since I was introduced to the original Monk earbuds by Venture Electronics. They left quite the impression on me and my views on price-to-performance ratio in audio...
T-PEOS RASIEL Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to T-PEOS for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/807332/t-peos-rasiel-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Finder X1...
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
Anyone found a super-quiet internal Blu-Ray drive?
I found that it is somewhat dependent on the case or how it was installed. My current dvd burners made almost no noise in my previous case which it fit poorly into and was only supported the screws and there was a good 1/8-1/4in gap on the side of it visible from the outside of the case. My current case using the same dvd burner makes a LOT of noise and has a nice snug fit in the case, or from having the screws in it a bit tight from what I recall.
I would unscrew the dvd drive and test it while it's not screwed into the case and resting on a mouse pad (it should dampen the vibration compared to a desk) and than pop in a cd or something to see if the noise your hearing is the vibration of the dvd drive. If so you can work from there.
As for dampening the noise of it if it is the problem, I do a quick google search on how people dampen the vibration of this (though I never heard of anyone doing it before, as well as HD's and fans). That should give you a good idea of what is realistically doable.
I must say, I was impressed by its quietness. I have both a DVD burner and that blu-ray and I started using the blu-ray exclusively since it was way more quite.
I cannot comment on ripping for I have not done a whole lot of it on that particular drive.
Thanks for the replies! My computer case is one by Antec specifically designed to be quiet. The Hard Drives are suspended by elastic bands and so do not touch the case at all - and as a result are completely silent. Meanwhile the 5 inch drive bays are just pretty much standard quick change variety. So thanks for the advice Boomhaur about adding some damping to lessen it's contact with the Case. I do have foam rubber above it to absorb some sound but I think minimizing it's contact with the case would definitely be an improvement. I don't know why Antec didn't think of that either. I've had this case and same DVD drive for 4 years now and it is only recently that I am noticing the whirring, so it may also be getting noisier with age. So a new drive that also supports Blu-Ray is probably still in the works and to be combined with better isolation from the case as well. Thanks for the suggestion in that regard Deathzero34!
- Anyone found a super-quiet internal Blu-Ray drive?
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 4 seconds ago
- › The Iranian Audiophiles 14 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 30 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Prices in Closed Classifieds 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the... 5 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by Aornic
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by mark2410
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...