Well the title about sums it up. Currently have just a DVD drive in my PC workstation/entertainment center/juke box and it definitely makes a high-pitched whirring sound when playing a DVD. Not super loud mind you, but just noticeable enough to be slightly annoying. Since I built my PC to be as quiet as possible, the drive's spin might not even be noticeable on a PC with noisy fans. So anywaze, if any other quiet computer builders have any recommendations for an internal Blu-Ray drive please share. A bonus would be if it is considered extra-acurate for ripping CDs.
- categoryComputer Audio
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 4/3/13 at 12:12pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 6/7/13 at 9:25am in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 1/6/13 at 1:27pm in Computer Audio
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
Okay..well this is my first review..if you may call it so..hence any,,amatuerish mistakes be forgiven..here we go.. So i saved some money(i'm always short of it) for the Vsonic gr02 be..after...
I used to be sure that I am not a basshead. My favorite IEMs for the longest time were RE-0, my favorite headphones were (and still are) various variations of ATH "sweet treble" sound signature,...
Anyone found a super-quiet internal Blu-Ray drive?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Pros:“Very good for the price, easily upgradeable sound, runs on power directly from PSU”“Excellent SQ, upgadable opamps, versatile headphone out”
- Pros:“earth shattering volume, big booming, high quality sound”“They do what they're supposed to.”
- Pros:“Decent Balance, Clear sound, Better than most "computer speakers"”“Low price, high quality, very good sound for the price. ”
I found that it is somewhat dependent on the case or how it was installed. My current dvd burners made almost no noise in my previous case which it fit poorly into and was only supported the screws and there was a good 1/8-1/4in gap on the side of it visible from the outside of the case. My current case using the same dvd burner makes a LOT of noise and has a nice snug fit in the case, or from having the screws in it a bit tight from what I recall.
I would unscrew the dvd drive and test it while it's not screwed into the case and resting on a mouse pad (it should dampen the vibration compared to a desk) and than pop in a cd or something to see if the noise your hearing is the vibration of the dvd drive. If so you can work from there.
As for dampening the noise of it if it is the problem, I do a quick google search on how people dampen the vibration of this (though I never heard of anyone doing it before, as well as HD's and fans). That should give you a good idea of what is realistically doable.
I must say, I was impressed by its quietness. I have both a DVD burner and that blu-ray and I started using the blu-ray exclusively since it was way more quite.
I cannot comment on ripping for I have not done a whole lot of it on that particular drive.
Thanks for the replies! My computer case is one by Antec specifically designed to be quiet. The Hard Drives are suspended by elastic bands and so do not touch the case at all - and as a result are completely silent. Meanwhile the 5 inch drive bays are just pretty much standard quick change variety. So thanks for the advice Boomhaur about adding some damping to lessen it's contact with the Case. I do have foam rubber above it to absorb some sound but I think minimizing it's contact with the case would definitely be an improvement. I don't know why Antec didn't think of that either. I've had this case and same DVD drive for 4 years now and it is only recently that I am noticing the whirring, so it may also be getting noisier with age. So a new drive that also supports Blu-Ray is probably still in the works and to be combined with better isolation from the case as well. Thanks for the suggestion in that regard Deathzero34!
- Anyone found a super-quiet internal Blu-Ray drive?
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 18 seconds ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 22 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 26 seconds ago
- › post your grado mods.... 34 seconds ago
- › Need some amp/speaker advice for playing vinyl 35 seconds ago
- › Fiio X3 Thread. Full review:... 1 minute ago
- › Best IEM's for bass please 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › M2Tech HiFace DAC 32/384 impressions? 2 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe