Well the title about sums it up. Currently have just a DVD drive in my PC workstation/entertainment center/juke box and it definitely makes a high-pitched whirring sound when playing a DVD. Not super loud mind you, but just noticeable enough to be slightly annoying. Since I built my PC to be as quiet as possible, the drive's spin might not even be noticeable on a PC with noisy fans. So anywaze, if any other quiet computer builders have any recommendations for an internal Blu-Ray drive please share. A bonus would be if it is considered extra-acurate for ripping CDs.
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 7/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 2/14/15 at 10:50pm in Computer Audio
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Anyone found a super-quiet internal Blu-Ray drive?
I found that it is somewhat dependent on the case or how it was installed. My current dvd burners made almost no noise in my previous case which it fit poorly into and was only supported the screws and there was a good 1/8-1/4in gap on the side of it visible from the outside of the case. My current case using the same dvd burner makes a LOT of noise and has a nice snug fit in the case, or from having the screws in it a bit tight from what I recall.
I would unscrew the dvd drive and test it while it's not screwed into the case and resting on a mouse pad (it should dampen the vibration compared to a desk) and than pop in a cd or something to see if the noise your hearing is the vibration of the dvd drive. If so you can work from there.
As for dampening the noise of it if it is the problem, I do a quick google search on how people dampen the vibration of this (though I never heard of anyone doing it before, as well as HD's and fans). That should give you a good idea of what is realistically doable.
I must say, I was impressed by its quietness. I have both a DVD burner and that blu-ray and I started using the blu-ray exclusively since it was way more quite.
I cannot comment on ripping for I have not done a whole lot of it on that particular drive.
Thanks for the replies! My computer case is one by Antec specifically designed to be quiet. The Hard Drives are suspended by elastic bands and so do not touch the case at all - and as a result are completely silent. Meanwhile the 5 inch drive bays are just pretty much standard quick change variety. So thanks for the advice Boomhaur about adding some damping to lessen it's contact with the Case. I do have foam rubber above it to absorb some sound but I think minimizing it's contact with the case would definitely be an improvement. I don't know why Antec didn't think of that either. I've had this case and same DVD drive for 4 years now and it is only recently that I am noticing the whirring, so it may also be getting noisier with age. So a new drive that also supports Blu-Ray is probably still in the works and to be combined with better isolation from the case as well. Thanks for the suggestion in that regard Deathzero34!
- Anyone found a super-quiet internal Blu-Ray drive?
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 56 seconds ago
- › FiiO E12 Review 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 2 minutes ago
- › Bug head emperor player - audiophile player from Japan 5 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...