- 290 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphones for music + gaming? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Dogs too good to be a gym headphone? Last post on 9/24/12 at 5:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)? Last post on 5/22/13 at 4:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 64post #946 of 9533/6/14 at 1:19pmI ordered some shure brh-440m earpads to test. My boss purchased the headset and I noticed how much wider and deeper they are opposed to the SRH-840 pad. Anyone have experience with them on the t50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #947 of 9533/6/14 at 1:50pmpost #948 of 9533/6/14 at 2:06pmpost #949 of 9533/6/14 at 2:55pmI searched amazon. Should be here in 2 weeks, I'm holding one in my hand now and it seems the foam/ fabric is thinner that covers the driver so I'm assuming there's less mid treble reduction that happenspost #950 of 9533/7/14 at 2:23pmThread Starter
Looks interesting. You'll need a method for coupling the headphone to the prosthetic ear for a good seal.
I don't think this will work any better than other methods, just differently. You'll still be limited to comparing measurements you make relative to other measurements you make, not to others' measurements.
I don't think prosthetic ear will offer any benefits beyond those using simpler methods. Choose a setup, stick with it, learn its strengths and weaknesses, and learn how to interpret your data. Measurements are useful only when you understand how to interpret Your data which comes with personal experience with your kit.
Here's Solderdude's (Frans) PM about measurements...with permission to post:Hi Keith,Your answer there is spot on !
I mean... I don't think if you mount an omnidirectional mic on a surface or in a tube the reference plot will be of much value as it was made in free-air. It won't be flat with a few dB peak around 16kHz any more is what I am getting at.
As a quick and dirty 'lets at least get a bit closer' practical method would be to measure 1 (preferably more) 'known' headphones.Of course there are variances between them as well so unless you have the actual one that has been measured on a real calibrated rig (that is properly 'compensated') you will have to allow some errors.The next 'hurdle' would be to know WHICH 'correction' the calibrated head did use to generate the plots ?Did they use the Olive-Welti compensation, farfield or nearfield compensation ? something in between or custom ?
You would have to allow for product variances though or perhaps lend one or more 'known' phones.
The next question would be WHO makes the best 'reference' measurements that come closest to the reality ?
Did they use the Olive-Welti compensation, farfield or nearfield compensation ? something in between or custom or publish raw plots ? Does one know which compensation was used on any of those sites ?
In any case you will be able to compare your own measurements against those of your own and see what the changes are you actually made when modding. How close your plot will turn out to be to what's really happening will thus depend on a ****load of factors aside from the (invalid ?) calibrated mic and needed compensation for THAT specific 'ear'.Lots of research and overlaying plots (by stretching plots so they have the exact same scale !) may teach you what you are looking for.
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - Today at 2:29 ampost #951 of 9533/7/14 at 7:21pmThread Starter
Here's a "Solderdude Frans" phantom power supply I built for a good friend.
Resistors: 6.8, 2.2, 100 kOhm
Capacitors: 4.7 and 100 uF
3.5 mm TRS jacks (wired for Mono per REW requirements): Left jack = Mic IN, Right jack = Signal OUT to sound card
All connections tested with DMM and super glued in place
Metal tin for shielding
Circuit grounded to metal tin
Works great with REW and Panasonic WM61-A omnidirectional mic capsule.
Low noise floor.
Easy to build.
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - Yesterday at 7:28 pmpost #952 of 9533/7/14 at 11:16pmpost #953 of 9533/8/14 at 1:47amThread StarterQuote:
I do, too! Frans has been very helpful to me in many ways over the past year. I'm amazed by his detailed and clear explanations and willingness to take so much time to help. We tried each other's measurement setups using WM61-A mics and REW and have had interesting discussions on his web site and by PM. His phantom power supply pre-amp is the best I've used.
P.S. I love my Project Ember amp with Telefunken E88CC
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - Today at 2:18 am
- Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 22 seconds ago
- › Grado SR325is LIKE NEW!!! 29 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD 2 Rev 2 Caribbean Rosewood 1 Mth old ~ LIKE NEW 39 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 42 seconds ago
- › how are iems(universals and customs) tuned? 45 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › MartinLogan Dynamo 300 vs Dayton Audio SUB-800 1 minute ago
- › Upgrading from HD598 1 minute ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude