- 361 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphones for music + gaming? Last post on 2/7/15 at 9:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Dogs too good to be a gym headphone? Last post on 9/24/12 at 5:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)? Last post on 5/22/13 at 4:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time this review was written, the 1More MK802 bluetooth headphone was listed for sale on 1More’s and Amazon’s website. Here are links for more information and...
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 64post #946 of 23103/6/14 at 1:19pmI ordered some shure brh-440m earpads to test. My boss purchased the headset and I noticed how much wider and deeper they are opposed to the SRH-840 pad. Anyone have experience with them on the t50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #947 of 23103/6/14 at 1:50pmpost #948 of 23103/6/14 at 2:06pmpost #949 of 23103/6/14 at 2:55pmI searched amazon. Should be here in 2 weeks, I'm holding one in my hand now and it seems the foam/ fabric is thinner that covers the driver so I'm assuming there's less mid treble reduction that happenspost #950 of 23103/7/14 at 2:23pmThread Starter
Looks interesting. You'll need a method for coupling the headphone to the prosthetic ear for a good seal.
I don't think this will work any better than other methods, just differently. You'll still be limited to comparing measurements you make relative to other measurements you make, not to others' measurements.
I don't think prosthetic ear will offer any benefits beyond those using simpler methods. Choose a setup, stick with it, learn its strengths and weaknesses, and learn how to interpret your data. Measurements are useful only when you understand how to interpret Your data which comes with personal experience with your kit.
Here's Solderdude's (Frans) PM about measurements...with permission to post:Hi Keith,Your answer there is spot on !
I mean... I don't think if you mount an omnidirectional mic on a surface or in a tube the reference plot will be of much value as it was made in free-air. It won't be flat with a few dB peak around 16kHz any more is what I am getting at.
As a quick and dirty 'lets at least get a bit closer' practical method would be to measure 1 (preferably more) 'known' headphones.Of course there are variances between them as well so unless you have the actual one that has been measured on a real calibrated rig (that is properly 'compensated') you will have to allow some errors.The next 'hurdle' would be to know WHICH 'correction' the calibrated head did use to generate the plots ?Did they use the Olive-Welti compensation, farfield or nearfield compensation ? something in between or custom ?
You would have to allow for product variances though or perhaps lend one or more 'known' phones.
The next question would be WHO makes the best 'reference' measurements that come closest to the reality ?
Did they use the Olive-Welti compensation, farfield or nearfield compensation ? something in between or custom or publish raw plots ? Does one know which compensation was used on any of those sites ?
In any case you will be able to compare your own measurements against those of your own and see what the changes are you actually made when modding. How close your plot will turn out to be to what's really happening will thus depend on a load of factors aside from the (invalid ?) calibrated mic and needed compensation for THAT specific 'ear'.Lots of research and overlaying plots (by stretching plots so they have the exact same scale !) may teach you what you are looking for.
Franspost #951 of 23103/7/14 at 7:21pmThread Starter
Here's a "Solderdude Frans" phantom power supply I built for a good friend.
Resistors: 6.8, 2.2, 100 kOhm
Capacitors: 4.7 and 100 uF
3.5 mm TRS jacks (wired for Mono per REW requirements): Left jack = Mic IN, Right jack = Signal OUT to sound card
All connections tested with DMM and super glued in place
Metal tin for shielding
Circuit grounded to metal tin
Works great with REW and Panasonic WM61-A omnidirectional mic capsule.
Low noise floor.
Easy to build.
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 3/7/14 at 7:28pmpost #952 of 23103/7/14 at 11:16pmpost #953 of 23103/8/14 at 1:47amThread StarterQuote:
I do, too! Frans has been very helpful to me in many ways over the past year. I'm amazed by his detailed and clear explanations and willingness to take so much time to help. We tried each other's measurement setups using WM61-A mics and REW and have had interesting discussions on his web site and by PM. His phantom power supply pre-amp is the best I've used.
P.S. I love my Project Ember amp with Telefunken E88CC
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 3/8/14 at 2:18ampost #954 of 23103/14/14 at 8:57pm
A buddy of mine modded my T50RP's for me. BMF, you may know the lad, and maybe one of these days he will honour us with the details
"right about here ----> ****** <----" lol.
Anyway, I am no T50RP expert (I don't know what they sound like stock, or sound like in other modding configs). And I'm not very familiar with orthos except for my TDS16's. But, I felt the need to express my joy regarding these modded T50's. What a huge, bold, articulate and engaging sound. Just fantastic.
The T50RP's are amazing. You modsters are amazing. And my friggin' pair is really amazing!
Edited by waynes world - 3/14/14 at 9:00pmpost #955 of 23103/15/14 at 7:36pmpost #956 of 23103/15/14 at 9:02pm
waynes world as far as comparing to others, the stuff in it is unguessable as far as specific arrangements of things and materials, Way different than the earlier posted version.
It'd be great if you could compare to others somehow some way. Maybe hit up a meet at some point. Seriously you could buy another stock one and now that you are started on the modding path somewhat, walk through the DBV#3 mod it is a nice step by step procedure very easy thanks to BMF and his meticulous documentation. Help is only a pm or post away . it is definitely a worthy adversary. make me sweat some more ....
Edited by nick n - 3/16/14 at 4:24ampost #957 of 23103/16/14 at 6:44amQuote:
It sounds pretty bad with the Alpha pads. You will have to do quite a bit of tuning.post #958 of 23103/16/14 at 9:10ampost #959 of 23103/16/14 at 10:26am
Every pad will change the sound in their own way. If you want to follow this guide, use the pads suggested in the guide (840 pads). I personally find the 840 pads to be very comfortable.post #960 of 23103/16/14 at 10:36am
- Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 【SANAM】=91=9958802839 LoVe mArRiAgE SpEcIaLiSt bAbA ji London 12 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 21 seconds ago
- › 【BLUE】##=91=9958802839 LoVe mArRiAgE SpEcIaLiSt bAbA ji .San Marino 42 seconds ago
- › Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling 54 seconds ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 55 seconds ago
- › 【SANAM】=91=9958802839 LoVe mArRiAgE SpEcIaLiSt bAbA ji Bahrain 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › AURISONICS ASG 2.5 Fantastic condition Everything included 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear