Bottom of post #1 has nick n's mod which involves plastidip IIRC.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphones for music + gaming? Last post on 2/7/15 at 9:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Dogs too good to be a gym headphone? Last post on 9/24/12 at 5:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)? Last post on 5/22/13 at 4:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I would like to thank Ken from Campfire Audio for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Introduction ALO Audio has been an established name in the industry for...
Introduction The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) is a company that I am very fond of. I absolutely loved their previous flagship, the TFZ Series 5 and praised it with very high word. It became one of my...
From the Doukaudio website: "Shenzheng Cavins Technology Co.,LTD has been established since 2014.. We are devoted to design and research of hi-end level of audio equipments under our own brand...
Brainwavz Intro ABOUT US Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range...
Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD A Serious Common Denominator | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION Angles of Approach There’s always been a certain connotation...
Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 63post #931 of 22593/4/14 at 10:52am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 22593/4/14 at 10:56am
I have one mod where I sprayed a tar sealant into the cups...
It improves the seal between the cups and baffle, maybe helps damp out a tiny bit of vibration, but ugh for the effort required and the mess it creates... very diminishing returns on this one.post #933 of 22593/4/14 at 2:32pmpost #934 of 22593/4/14 at 3:01pmpost #935 of 22593/5/14 at 12:28am
There is no one material to damp all frequencies. So have to work with 3 different materials to get this result.
Similar to acoustic filters on BA drivers. Using some filter on the front of driver smooths the FR (Bumps & cavities).post #936 of 22593/5/14 at 12:43ampost #937 of 22593/5/14 at 4:04amThread Starter
Very nice work, MuZo2. I'm happy to see you and others are using measurements to help dial-in modifications.
Are you planning on sharing any of the details about your measurement kit (phantom power circuit, type of mic, sound card) and damping scheme? Many people will be interested...including me.
Thanks!post #938 of 22593/5/14 at 4:07amThread Starter
To my "ears and gears" yes.
I made this mod to see if I could do it without destroying the diaphragm and snap tabs = Success.
I have been busy with many other projects and put damping/measurements on the back burner. I will eventually get back to it and share what I learn.
Thanks for the interest.post #939 of 22593/5/14 at 4:48amQuote:
Sure will do.
Mic is wm61a with 9v phantom powersupply. I think I used same circuit like you.post #940 of 22593/5/14 at 10:55ampost #941 of 22593/5/14 at 12:50pmThread StarterQuote:
I tried John Conover's tube-to-baffle with rubber bands setup. It works but I prefer the "In my own ear" (IMOE) method. Here's why:
1. I made all FIMMs with this method.
2. I have made well over 1000 measurements with this setup, in addition to FIMM, so IMOE works best for me.
3. Standardization is paramount for "within measures" comparisons...i.e. comparing measurements of headphone "A" to headphone "B"; comparing tweak 1 with tweak 2, etc. To optimize standardization, the following variables must be controlled and replicated each time a measurement is made:
a. the same mic placement ---> depth and angle
b. the same placement/position of the headphones on a dummy head (Mine!)
c. the same clamping pressure ---> rubber bands are difficult to match and they become weak as they stretch with use. Over time and after making many measurements, rubber bands will likely lose their elasticity, resulting in less clamping pressure and unwanted error variance.
d. ensuring a good seal all the way around the headphone pads to head
4. The IMOE method provides "biomarker feedback" not offered by other methods, including:
a. Tactile, proprioceptive, and kinesthetic feedback
b. The "feel" of my preferred headphone placement on my head helps me obtain the same position from one measurement to the next.
c. The "feel" of the mic inserted into my ear tells me if I have the same depth and angle used in previous measurements.
d. The pressure of the headphones on my head tells me that I have a good seal around the pads and the same clamping force as previous measurements.
5. Whatever method a person may chose, try to standardize it as much as possible. With repeated measures comes experience. With experience comes more accurate measurements and a finer understanding of how your kit and software works. This knowledge is necessary for meaningful interpretation of your measurements.
6. Remember that "one guy's" measurements cannot be directly compared to "another guy's" measurements.
7. A measurement kit is only a tool.
8. Measurements do not necessarily equate with SQ due to a boat load of objective and subjective variables, including:
a. individual hearing acuity
b. personal preferences
c. music file type
e. both positive and negative expectation bias
f. hearing fatigue
h. your energy level
i. your "ears and gears"
Cheerspost #942 of 22593/5/14 at 12:56pmpost #943 of 22593/6/14 at 2:08ampost #944 of 22593/6/14 at 9:59ampost #945 of 22593/6/14 at 10:13am
- Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audio Grade Fuses 1 minute ago
- › Cypherus Audio Xduoo X3 Copper 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 6 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing from 9 different in-ear headphones 7 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S 10 minutes ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 10 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back 13 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by flinkenick
- › TFZ Balance 2M by ustinj
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Etymotic ER4XR by leaky74
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear